Help me remember this Chinese chicken dish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lamb&Guinness

Assistant Cook
I lost the cookbook, but this is what I can remember:

Use cubed chicken, covered in cornstarch then fried.
Sauce is a sweet, orange or duck sauce spiced with finely
chopped chiles and with green onions. Of course I'm forgetting
some other ingredients.

Does this sound familiar? Help!

Could be "Tangerine Chicken". Is also frequently made with beef. Cornstarch coated prefried bite-size chicken (or beef) pieces served in a red-chili spiced sauce that while authentically made with Chinese dried tangerine peel, is frequently just made with plain orange peel & juice (& frequently comes out just as good). Traditionally garnished with sliced green onion.

Does that sound like it might fit the bill? While I've enjoyed both chicken & beef versions in restaurants, I also know that I have a number of recipes for it here at home.

Could be "Tangerine Chicken". Is also frequently made with beef. Cornstarch coated prefried bite-size chicken (or beef) pieces served in a red-chili spiced sauce that while authentically made with Chinese dried tangerine peel, is frequently just made with plain orange peel & juice (& frequently comes out just as good). Traditionally garnished with sliced green onion.

Does that sound like it might fit the bill? While I've enjoyed both chicken & beef versions in restaurants, I also know that I have a number of recipes for it here at home.

I looked up some Tangerine Chicken recipes and that looks just right.

Thanks for the insight.

Peeper76 - I haven't made it at home yet, so can't give you a TNT recipe, but have enjoyed both poultry & beef versions in restaurants. If you do a websearch for "Tangerine Chicken" (or even "Tangerine Beef") you'll get an idea. As with most popular Asian recipes, there are many variations, so it's difficult to give you a norm.

orange chicken or tangerine chicken isn't generally as spicy (the red chilis) as General Tsao's, which in turn is not quite as citrus. Lotus root flour is also used but corn starch is similar.

Back
Top Bottom