"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 05-30-2013, 10:37 PM   #11
Master Chef

Some herbs, spices, and flavors that can help out your salsa:

Cumin
Coriander
Paprika
Lime zest
Mango
Mild Chile Powder
Onion
Garlic
Celery
Carrot

To make these ingredients work together, first, cut the carrot into a small dice, slice the onion and celery, and saute' these in fresh butter over medium heat, just until the carrots are slightly softened. Add chopped tomato, cilantro, and the remaining ingredients.

Peppers, whether sweet or hot can cause indigestion for some people. But the ingredients listed above will give you that southwestern flavor, sans peppers. Oh, and add some black pepper to the mix.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:59 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Make a fresh pico de gallo and leave out the spicy chili.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:54 AM   #13
Head Chef

@ Bucky
"but i can't imagine using canned tomatoes unless decent fresh ones are unavailable."

I can't either, but I haven't had a decent fresh tomato since I stopped growing my own----no matter what price I paid for them. I don't get to a farmers market much so maybe there could be some there.

For 'youngsters' here----- a 'decent' fresh tomato doesn't crunch when you bite into it. Neither does a 'decent' strawberry. (Oops, now I've shown my age!)

@ bucky---- I'll look into your information about cilantro. Thanks.
About your astrological sign------

Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure

All the rest who have taken the time to answer---- many good ideas there and I thank you all.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:15 AM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
i'm a little afraid to ask, but what is oklahoma caviar?
It's tomatoes (I use 3 cans of the fire roasted diced), 1 onion finely chopped, 2 green peppers finely chopped, a can of black-eyed peas drained and rinsed, a can of white hominy drained and rinsed, and 16 oz of Italian salad dressing. stir it all up and refrigerate. We like it with our tortilla chips.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:18 AM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
+1.

but i can't imagine using canned tomatoes unless decent fresh ones are unavailable.

btw, cilantro is known for chelating toxic metals from your body (removing them) which are then excreted in the urine and feces (what's your sign. i'm a feces).

3 out of 4 doctors here say if you enjoy cilantro, go for it. but you should ask your own pee pee doctor.

i'm a little afraid to ask, but what is oklahoma caviar?

I have refused to use supermarket tomatoes for a long time now. They are horrible and IMO would ruin your salsa.

Good quality canned tomatoes are far superior when you can't get real garden tomatoes.

In July I make salsa with my cherries. In August with my bigger tomatoes.

And I'd also like more detail on that caviar...
Old 05-31-2013, 11:25 AM   #16
Sous Chef

Try chopping some fresh coriander into your salsa and crumble some blue cheese into it as well. Not 'hot' I accept but will give some exciting flavors to your salsa

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:45 AM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
I absolutely love Mexican food (and Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Indian---- you get the picture!) but I've just recently suspected that the spicy food I love may be giving me some health problems. Not acid indigestion but a problem with the urinary tract. (Sorry for TMI).

I can't abide the thought of not eating Mexican food and in the past, all my life, the hotter the better.

Now I want to give a non-spicy life (Ugh!) a chance.

To my question, finally---- it's easy to cook without adding jalapeno's or such but I love to pour salsa over a taco, chimichanga, or any other dish.

I'm going to try reducing some tomato juice or V8 to make it a bit thicker, if possible, and add cilantro and other 'not hot' spices. (And please, oh please, don't let it be cilantro that's causing the problem!)

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated or any other ways to get a salsa that is flavorful but not hot/spicy.
Thank you in advance
Welcome to DC. First, I would see a doc re the UTI. It may be totally unrelated to food.

I am not a fan of spicy food either I can tolerate Ortega green chiles, in small doses. I usually omit the chiles, and kick up the flavor with lime juice and lime zest and diced red onion. Instead of tomatoes, you can use strawberries and avocado, watermelon, or any fresh fruit.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:55 AM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise View Post
Welcome to DC. First, I would see a doc re the UTI. It may be totally unrelated to food.
Thanks. I have---- extensively! Not a UTI, definitely.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:44 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by menumaker View Post
Try chopping some fresh coriander into your salsa and crumble some blue cheese into it as well. Not 'hot' I accept but will give some exciting flavors to your salsa
Fresh corriander = cilantro.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:59 PM   #20
Master Chef

In my opinion, it is often cumin that puts the Mex into Mexican food, and it is not hot. I cannot imagine cilantro (as others have said, cilantro is the leaf, coriander the seed)(this varies from place to place, I'm talking in the U.S., English English can sometimes be different) causing a problem. I wonder if it may actually be tomatoes that cause the problem. In which case .... poor you! Also tomato seeds can cause intestinal distress for some people, so you can use V8, tomato juice, or seed your own tomatoes. If you do the latter, use plum tomatoes, they have less seed and more "meat".

Tags
salsa