"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 05-30-2013, 02:40 PM   #1
Head Chef

Help please with non-spicy salsa

I absolutely love Mexican food (and Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Indian---- you get the picture!) but I've just recently suspected that the spicy food I love may be giving me some health problems. Not acid indigestion but a problem with the urinary tract. (Sorry for TMI).

I can't abide the thought of not eating Mexican food and in the past, all my life, the hotter the better.

Now I want to give a non-spicy life (Ugh!) a chance.

To my question, finally---- it's easy to cook without adding jalapeno's or such but I love to pour salsa over a taco, chimichanga, or any other dish.

I'm going to try reducing some tomato juice or V8 to make it a bit thicker, if possible, and add cilantro and other 'not hot' spices. (And please, oh please, don't let it be cilantro that's causing the problem!)

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated or any other ways to get a salsa that is flavorful but not hot/spicy.
Thank you in advance

Old 05-30-2013, 02:50 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Go ahead and leave out the hots. The heat is always a separate ingredient, either chilies, chili oil, etc. There may be a minor flavor difference but there is no reason why you can't enjoy not hot foods.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:56 PM   #3
Head Chef

@Andy------ I guess I'll say 'duh'! LOL Of course! I used to make my own salsa with the usual ingredients------ I guess I'll have to start doing that again even though store-bought tomatoes are so yucky and expensive now. I think I'll use canned Romas instead and leave out the chopped jalapenos.
Thank you for your common-sense reply.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:36 PM   #4
Master Chef

Make it with quality canned tomatoes and just leave out the hot pepper.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:38 PM   #5
Head Chef

Thank you also, Jenny. I'll get some canned tomatoes today when shopping. I'll try to remember (!) to post my success with it.

Still dreaming of jalapenos!
Old 05-30-2013, 04:52 PM   #6
Master Chef

Chi Chi’s brand salsa makes one that is mild, very mild and it really is not a bad salsa at all. I cannot eat food that is too spicy and this one is really working well for me.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:17 PM   #7
Head Chef

@Charilie----- I'll look for that brand. I live in a great smallish city with very white bread cuisines but we do have at least one fairly good Mexican grocery. Or maybe Safeway has it. Amazon has it but I'd prefer not to get the giant size first. :)
Thanks
Old 05-30-2013, 07:16 PM   #8
Master Chef

Chi chi's would be found at Safeway not a Spanish market.

If you do make your own consider roasting your garlic, onion and bell pepper in a cast iron skillet for a deeper flavor.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:09 PM   #9
Master Chef

Hunt's makes a wonderful fire roasted diced tomatoes in a can. I use them in just about everything that requires a good tomato flavor. I make a dip we call Oklahoma caviar that I use them in. They are so good and so easy to use that I find myself using them even when I can get tomatoes from the farmer's market.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:21 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Chi chi's would be found at Safeway not a Spanish market.

If you do make your own consider roasting your garlic, onion and bell pepper in a cast iron skillet for a deeper flavor.
+1.

but i can't imagine using canned tomatoes unless decent fresh ones are unavailable.

btw, cilantro is known for chelating toxic metals from your body (removing them) which are then excreted in the urine and feces (what's your sign. i'm a feces).

3 out of 4 doctors here say if you enjoy cilantro, go for it. but you should ask your own pee pee doctor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
Hunt's makes a wonderful fire roasted diced tomatoes in a can. I use them in just about everything that requires a good tomato flavor. I make a dip we call Oklahoma caviar that I use them in. They are so good and so easy to use that I find myself using them even when I can get tomatoes from the farmer's market.
i'm a little afraid to ask, but what is oklahoma caviar?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
salsa