"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery
Old 07-28-2008, 10:32 AM   #11
Assistant Cook
Thank you Michael, that would be great if you could find out for me.

It technically is "a" sweet and sour sauce but not like any sauce you would get in or with a dish titled sweet and sour. I have never gotten it in any of the packets or in any of the jarred sauces I've bought. I've only ever had it from those squirt bottles either on your table or by the deep fried/egg roll section of a buffet. Not every restaurant even has it.

You are right that it very well could have a tiny bit of thickening, I really can't visualize it well enough to say if the zest is incorporated but I know I usually shake the bottle up so it must be settled somewhat. There is very little viscosity to it. The zest (orange, lemon, both?) flavor stands out more so than either the sweet or sour aspects.

I looked at a packet of Duck sauce I have and it only lists peaches/apricots in it's ingredients and no citrus. My bottle of Chun's sweet and sour only lists apricots and no citrus (unless I don't recognize one of the additives as a derivative).

Sigh, I would so love to make this delicous elixer at home. Thanks so much for your help guys! Sorry I ramble so much.

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:56 PM   #12
Assistant Cook
check out the sauce for this chicken recipe,,,

oh well, they won't let me post URLS Anyway, it's a japanese lemon sauce...ingredients, lemon, water, sugar and a japanese starch.

chicklady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:31 AM   #13
Assistant Cook
If it was a really good restaurant, it may have been Yuzu Juice... mixed with other ingredients.

Steve_Cooks_and_Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:35 PM   #14
Head Chef
Originally Posted by Steve_Cooks_and_Cooks View Post
If it was a really good restaurant, it may have been Yuzu Juice... mixed with other ingredients.

Steve, Welcome to DC.

Practice Random Acts of Kindness ( RAK ) Makes you feel great too
Josie1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:31 AM   #15
Master Chef
Wow, interesting. I have never seen sauce like that in the places I've been to. I am intrigued.
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:24 AM   #16
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Wow, interesting. I have never seen sauce like that in the places I've been to. I am intrigued.
Same here, Charlie.

The only consistent type of sauce I've seen in Oriental restaurants is a Teriyaki type sauce that is served at private tables or as a condiment at buffet style restaurants. It's dark, it's watery and has a mild Teriyaki flavor with citrus and onion bits in it. I've seen this same sauce in about 20 different restaurants.
Confirmed Sushi Addict
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:10 PM   #17
Master Chef
It sounds more like the sauces you find in Vietnamese restaurants (and other southeast Asian foods). Sometimes people are unaware that the people who own or cook in what is a "Chinese" restaurant are actually from Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Thailand. One time FIL took us to the local Asian place, and our waiters name was Nguyen. DH and I just laughed. Sure enough, the waiter eventually opened his own Vietnamese restaurant. Many places I've lived, the southeast Asians who want to open restaurants call them "Chinese" because as far as the local populace goes, that's really all they know. Been many places like that, and as soon as we know the ethnicity of the staff, we start asking for their cuisine, even if off-menu, and they're always thrilled. And yes, it is used for spring rolls, summer rolls, and lettuce rolls. A hint would be if the skins to the rolls are ultra thin and ultra crispy.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:15 AM   #18
Assistant Cook
Make your own!

Try 2 parts light soy, 1 part fish sauce and one part mirin as a base. Add zest, garlic, chili pepper flakes, et. to taste.
Patrick O'Donnell
podonnel45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:20 PM   #19
Executive Chef
Try one, or all, of these. I've never given them names:

• 4 Tbs chili oil
  • 2 tsp white vinegar
  • 4 Tbs soy sauce
Mix together in bowl and serve
  • 4 tbs Soy sauce
  • 2 tbs Peanut butter
  • 1 tbs Honey
  • 2 tsp White vinegar
  • 1/8 tsp Garlic powder
  • 2 tsp Sesame oil
  • 1/8 tsp hot sauce
  • 1/8 tsp Pepper
Whisk all ingredients together in bowl until combined and serve
  • 2 cups soy sauce
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1/2 cup rice wine
  • 3/4 tsp minced garlic
Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add juice and zest of 1 lemon. Cool and serve.
  • 1/4 cup white vinegar
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup tomato paste
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 tbs sugar
  • salt to taste
  • 1 tbs cornstarch dissolved in 2 tbs water
Combine all ingredients except corn starch mixture in pan and bring to boil. Add cornstarch mixture, return to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes or until desired thickness. Cool and serve.
Life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party - Jimmy Buffett
Sir_Loin_of_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:51 PM   #20
Senior Cook
I agree, it sounds Vietnamese, Nuoc Cham. Basically fish sauce, lime juice, water. Could be seasoned further with sugar, garlic, chiles

thymeless is offline   Reply With Quote