"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 05-17-2006, 05:21 PM   #11
Master Chef

OK, that explains a lot.

White (yellow) iso paste isn't for stir frying. It's for making soup, sauces, dressings, etc. It's quite light. When you combine it with Mirin and sugar you can make a great glaze for salmon.

You can also buy other, darker miso pastes.

Chinese fermented bean paste is a different condiment. see here

Old 05-17-2006, 10:48 PM   #12
Sous Chef

I dont think it's miso paste..It's called Ground Bean Sauce, made by Koon Chun sauce factory. Ingredients: water, soya beans, salt, wheat flour, sugar sesame oil and spices. It's a brownish in color sort of like the color of molasses. Taste somewhat salty with a sweeter after taste e.g. hoisen.

What's the difference with miso paste? ANd, is yellow bean paste the same as white bean paste?

Old 05-17-2006, 11:55 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpinmaryland
I dont think it's miso paste..It's called Ground Bean Sauce, made by Koon Chun sauce factory. Ingredients: water, soya beans, salt, wheat flour, sugar sesame oil and spices. It's a brownish in color sort of like the color of molasses. Taste somewhat salty with a sweeter after taste e.g. hoisen.

What's the difference with miso paste? ANd, is yellow bean paste the same as white bean paste?
What you're using probably isn't miso. But it does sound like it's made from soybeans. From the ingredients you've listed that comprise the bean sauce, you need the addition of other flavors like ginger, hoisin, soy sauce, chicken stock, sherry, etc. etc. for the food to have more flavor.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:20 AM   #14
Sous Chef

If I need to add all or some of that other stuff, what is the pt. of the bean paste?
Old 05-18-2006, 01:03 AM   #15
Executive Chef

It's a base, a foundation. It's about building the different levels of flavor and giving each dish more depth. It's about balancing flavors. It's about developing a flavor that when people taste the dish, they don't just say "It tastes like hoisin".
Old 05-18-2006, 01:21 AM   #16
Head Chef

jpinmaryland, this is the stuff my Mom uses but it's not for stir fry (or at least that's not how my family uses it). You use it to flavor meat or fish. BTW, I really like that brand of sauces. They carry a thick soy sauce that I use a lot for Vietnamese cooking. Good choice of brand!

Hope that helps.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:28 AM   #17
Master Chef

The only Chinese bean paste I've ever used has been black bean paste, which is made from salted preserved black beans. Miso paste is a fermented product made from soybeans, as well as other grains on occasion. Here's a link to a company that produces Miso using barley, rice, chickpeas, & even corn!! Interesting.

http://www.great-eastern-sun.com/misomaster.html
Old 05-18-2006, 09:36 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

Yellow bean paste and miso are pretty close to the same thing. Is it possible that the dish the OP had was yellow curry paste instead. I googled for recipes for bean paste and it seems to be mostly with tofu or deep fried by itself. I, of course, didn't go too far so there may be lots of other stuff.
I LOVE dishes with curry pastes.

Edited to say I hadn't read the second page of replies.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:30 AM   #19
Master Chef

JP

What you have is Chinese yellow bean sauce. Like Ironchef says, it is used as a base for sauces. Alone it will not be thrilling. Experiment and add ingredients to it till you have something that pleases you.

Here's a recipe that uses it (along with other u\yummy stuff) with noodles.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:00 PM   #20
Sous Chef

good stuff to sift through here. Thanks..

Tags
None