"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 10-31-2011, 10:13 PM   #1
Cook

Help with a curry sauce

We love this sauce Kitchens of India Rich Cashew & Cumin Cooking Sauce - Hyderbadi Korma*::*Cooking Pastes & Sauces*::*Groceries*::*iShopIndian.com

Anybody have a good way to recreate something similar to this, I bought a couple highly ranked books on Indian cooking but yogurt (which I despise) and ingredients like asafoetida, curry leaves and whole spices that need to be roasted and pounded that I don't have. I have most Indian spices in powder form, usually expensive stuff as well as various curry powder blends.

Any tips for some good simple sauces that don't have an insane amount of ingredients or any dairy?

Old 11-01-2011, 12:02 PM   #2
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by callahan9119 View Post
We love this sauce Kitchens of India Rich Cashew & Cumin Cooking Sauce - Hyderbadi Korma*::*Cooking Pastes & Sauces*::*Groceries*::*iShopIndian.com

Anybody have a good way to recreate something similar to this, I bought a couple highly ranked books on Indian cooking but yogurt (which I despise) and ingredients like asafoetida, curry leaves and whole spices that need to be roasted and pounded that I don't have. I have most Indian spices in powder form, usually expensive stuff as well as various curry powder blends.

Any tips for some good simple sauces that don't have an insane amount of ingredients or any dairy?
I can't answer your questions, but, I'll be following this thread for some answers about curry. I've never figured out curry--to find the right combination for my taste buds.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:31 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I don't know if they are available in the US, but when I want Indian food without all the effort and ingredients, I use Mr. Gouda's sauces. They are authentic and don't have weird chemicals. You can probably find something similar. You may need to find an ethnic market (East Indian, West Indian, or British).
Old 11-01-2011, 03:12 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Curry is about the spices. If you aren't going to take the time to work with the spices then maybe it's better just to go to an Indian restaurant. That probably sounds a little rude but I couldn't think of a better way to say that. Personally, I toast and grind all of my spices when I can. I can't even remember the last time I used powdered cumin. It tastes worlds better freshly toasted and ground.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:52 PM   #5
Wine Guy

I agree with "no mayo" and was also trying to think of a way to say it without coming off sounding rude. What you are asking would be like saying "I don't like bread, tomatoes, or cheese, so how can I make pizza with different ingredients?"

I make a lot of Indian food, but I try to be as traditional and respectful to the cuisine as I can. So I buy the whole spices, and do the dirty work, and generally get good results.

If you don't want to go this route and despise dairy, then maybe your best bet would be to try some of the pre-made pastes, such as Pataks. This way you can add whatever ingredients you want.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:25 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I would have agreed with Steve and no mayo, until I found out that a lot of Indian immigrants use those sauces and tasted them.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:40 PM   #7
Wine Guy

That's true, but the analogy I would use is that many Americans also make Mac & Cheese out of a box. But is it as good as M&C made from scratch?

Well, maybe that's not a good example. I know some people who actually prefer the boxed version.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:04 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
That's true, but the analogy I would use is that many Americans also make Mac & Cheese out of a box. But is it as good as M&C made from scratch?

Well, maybe that's not a good example. I know some people who actually prefer the boxed version.
May not be quite as good as from scratch, but if you can get a good bottle curry sauce, it will be very good. We have three or four varieties in the fridge most of the time. Now, a vindaloo, I would make from scratch. I usually make up a bunch of the sauce base and stick a lot in the freezer.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:55 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

I make curry constantly from scratch. Here's what you wanna do... you need onion, garlic, ginger (optional actually but use it for authenticity), canned diced tomatoes, oil or ghee (if you can get the ghee do it, its good as heck!), some chicken breasts, salt, cumin seeds, cumin powder (made from the seeds you grind up in a spice/coffee grinder), coriander powder, garam masala, cilantro, and either malt vinegar or heavy cream.

chop onion, garlic and ginger. put 5tbs of oil in medium hot pan, add onion and sautee until soft and translucent. add a pinch of cumin seeds til they pop. add garlic and ginger and stir until aromatic. add the can of tomatoes and stir. continue stirring until it dries up into a paste-like substance. add your cubed chicken here and sear it on all sides, mixing it with your paste. add some water to get it more like a watery gravy, then add 1tbs cumin powder and 1tbs coriander powder. stir some more. then add 1tbs garam masala. cook this down for a few minutes until the gravy is the desired consistency and the chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes. if it gets too dry add more water. finally during the last minute of cooking, add vinegar or cream. vinegar makes a vindaloo type dish, cream makes a korma type dish. garnish with fresh chopped cilantro and serve over basmati rice.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:57 AM   #10
Executive Chef

I have visited India a few times, the first time was 40 yrs ago when two cousins set up a food importation buss to service the ethnic minorities food needs in the UK.
The best and most difficult place to start learning about their food is to research about Jainism.

Tags
curry