"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 09-26-2012, 12:17 AM   #91
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
Just buy them!
Buy them! Gasp, then I wouldn't be Chief Longwind. I wouldn't be the guy who invented the axle, that makes wheels useful (way back before dinosaurs ruled the Earth). Buy them, he says.

"Hey Fred. Me thinks this character doth protest too loudly. E heeheeheehee."

"I konw whatcha mean Barney. I think he's a stone or two short of a full load, if ya know what I mean."

"Oh Fre'ed."
"Yes Wilma."
"Are you still gossiping with Barney?"
"Wilma, men don't gossip. We discuss."
"Riiight."

Don't isten to those crazy people above. Back to the egg-rolls:
You do mean, buy pre-made egg-rolls, right? I mean, I do purchase the egg roll skins. I don't make them myself. I can roll a mean lasagna noodle, or fettucini, or pie crust, or bread dough for pastry. But those egg-roll and won ton skins are so thin. That just seems like a lot of work.

Oh, and Greg, we missed you. Good to see you back.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind Of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:47 AM   #92
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Buy them! Gasp, then I wouldn't be Chief Longwind. I wouldn't be the guy who invented the axle, that makes wheels useful (way back before dinosaurs ruled the Earth). Buy them, he says....

Don't isten to those crazy people above. Back to the egg-rolls:
You do mean, buy pre-made egg-rolls, right? I mean, I do purchase the egg roll skins. I don't make them myself. I can roll a mean lasagna noodle, or fettucini, or pie crust, or bread dough for pastry. But those egg-roll and won ton skins are so thin. That just seems like a lot of work.
Okay you had me scared for a minute... You're such the ultimate chef I'm surprised you buy pre-made. You said you couldn't make the wrappers come out crispy, I presumed you were making them from scratch. I guess now the more probable answer is that you're just more perfectionistic than me, since I have no problem making the store bought wrappers come out fine ... although I learned early on that (1) you can't make egg rolls ahead of time (unless you par-fry them (is that a word?)). I had been making great egg rolls until the night of a big entertainment when I made them a couple hours ahead (because I had a complicated dinner planned) and when I took them out of the fridge and fried them they got all bloated and unappealing, although they tasted good. I discovered then that you can either make your stuffing in advance, then wrap the stuffing and fry the egg rolls all at the same time.

I said (1) above, so there's gotta be a (2), right? (2) Whatever you do don't let the egg roll wrappers dry out while you're cooking. (This isn't for you LW, I know you already know this.) While you're working you have to cover the stack of wrappers with either plastic or a damp towel. Also, I let the top wrapper be the orphan, and I deal seconds (leaving the top wrapper on the deck... er... stack), so the one on the top is the one to dry out.

Quote:
Oh, and Greg, we missed you. Good to see you back.
Aw shucks! I've been focused on a new hobby business (nothing to do with food), and I've been spending my cooking time cooking instead of typing about it.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:25 AM   #93
Master Chef

It may be the "skin" itself that is at fault. I have a Vietnamese friend who I had come over once to give me a lesson. She brought the skins and they were much thinner than what I can get in any of the grocery stores around here (even the Asian grocery). I think she goes to the QC to buy them. When I use what is in my grocery store they do not "crisp up" as well as when she provides the wrapper.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:07 AM   #94
Master Chef

Quote:
...Aw shucks! I've been focused on a new hobby business (nothing to do with food), and I've been spending my cooking time cooking instead of typing about it.

Sage advise my freind. Adn yes, I am a perfectionist. Most of my egg-rolls come out just fine. Occasionally, there will be one that has sat too long before cooking, and the egg-roll skin will be soggy and tear while it's frying. The only problem I really have with my egg-rolls is that they aren't the beautiful color shown in RL's picture. They taste great, and the texture in on point.

I like the advise you gave to everyone about not letting the egg-rolls dry out before cooking, and to make them fresh. Good job.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:36 PM   #95
Chef Extraordinaire

Personally, I like the challenge of making my own egg roll "skins." But then, I learned at an early age to roll flat bread. The trick is that one has to roll the dough thin enough to see the red rings on the Bethany lefse board (Products) through the dough. Doesn't everyone have one? I actually have two....from what I've read, the trick to making the Vietnamese wrappers is to "paint" the batter on the griddle using a paint brush. I haven't tried those, yet. On my bucket list.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:12 PM   #96
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Personally, I like the challenge of making my own egg roll "skins." But then, I learned at an early age to roll flat bread. The trick is that one has to roll the dough thin enough to see the red rings on the Bethany lefse board (Products) through the dough. Doesn't everyone have one? I actually have two....from what I've read, the trick to making the Vietnamese wrappers is to "paint" the batter on the griddle using a paint brush. I haven't tried those, yet. On my bucket list.
I've seen crepes made that way, here in Quebec.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:16 PM   #97
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I've seen crepes made that way, here in Quebec.
Have you tried it? I think we need to arrange a cooking day (we can do it at my house in Ottawa--I'll send the brat dog for a sleep over) or I can come to MTL. I think it would be so much FUN! Definitely there would be alcohol involved...
Old 09-26-2012, 06:58 PM   #98
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Have you tried it? I think we need to arrange a cooking day (we can do it at my house in Ottawa--I'll send the brat dog for a sleep over) or I can come to MTL. I think it would be so much FUN! Definitely there would be alcohol involved...
Oh, that sounds fun. Maybe we want to combine it with a Danish Club luncheon? Next one is 10 October. Or we could combine it with the Swedish Club's pub evening (they just get together at a pub) on 17 October.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:24 AM   #99
Chef Extraordinaire

Curling starts on Thursday, October 11th. But we could do the day before (the 9th) or the 16th and send me home early on Thursday a.m. PF--can you catch a flight to Montreal?
Old 09-27-2012, 03:34 AM   #100
Executive Chef

Quote:
Sage advise my freind. Adn yes, I am a perfectionist. Most of my egg-rolls come out just fine. Occasionally, there will be one that has sat too long before cooking, and the egg-roll skin will be soggy and tear while it's frying. The only problem I really have with my egg-rolls is that they aren't the beautiful color shown in RL's picture. They taste great, and the texture in on point.

I like the advise you gave to everyone about not letting the egg-rolls dry out before cooking, and to make them fresh. Good job.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Sadly, I am a perfectionist by nature, and perhaps you are too. Too good is never good enough for me (IMO). Perfectionism is what keeps me striving for ever greater and greater.

Honestly, all my egg rolls come out great with store bought skins. My only secret as as you said (or as you said I said), you gotta keep the skins covered while you're assembling the egg rolls, and you gotta fry them right away. Do that and they will come out pretty good, in my experience.

My bad experience occasion, I assembled them and wrapped them in plastic wrap and put them in the fridge for about 2 hours. My company arrived and I cooked the egg rolls, and they got bloated all out.

Actually they tasted just fine, it was just a presentation problem. Next time I'll just prepare the stuffing (many recipes) then wrap them and cook them a la minute.

Tags
None