"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 08-04-2012, 06:51 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Were the wrappers the white rice paper wrappers? I have some of those in the cupboard and could use those for the ones I want to freeze....
I think not. The white rice paper wrappers are intended to be moistened to make them pliable and then serve them fresh (Vietnamese fresh spring rolls). I expect the wet wrapper would not go well with hot oil.

Instead use the egg roll wrappers that are sold refrigerated. They are usually 6" squares or about that size.

BTW, I'm not sure if everybody knows how to stuff them. Place the egg roll wrapper square so that one point faces you, one away, one to each side. Place your filling inside. Dip your finger in water and moisten the entire perimeter of the wrapper. (This is the glue.) Take the nearest point and fold it over the stuffing, then fold the side points over towards the middle. Finally continue rolling it up. Use additional moisture as necessary to ensure a complete seal so that the roll won't unroll or fall apart or have the stuffing come out.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:07 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
I think not. The white rice paper wrappers are intended to be moistened to make them pliable and then serve them fresh (Vietnamese fresh spring rolls). I expect the wet wrapper would not go well with hot oil.

Instead use the egg roll wrappers that are sold refrigerated. They are usually 6" squares or about that size.

BTW, I'm not sure if everybody knows how to stuff them. Place the egg roll wrapper square so that one point faces you, one away, one to each side. Place your filling inside. Dip your finger in water and moisten the entire perimeter of the wrapper. (This is the glue.) Take the nearest point and fold it over the stuffing, then fold the side points over towards the middle. Finally continue rolling it up. Use additional moisture as necessary to ensure a complete seal so that the roll won't unroll or fall apart or have the stuffing come out.
I have some pics of rolling them and two of the finished product , but for some reason, the server keeps timing out. I'll try again tomorrow.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:46 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I have some pics of rolling them and two of the finished product , but for some reason, the server keeps timing out. I'll try again tomorrow.
Problem was on my end. Let's see if it works now:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CWS August 4 006.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	14889   Click image for larger version

Name:	CWS August 4 008.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	14890  

Name:	CWS August 4 009.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	14891   Click image for larger version

Name:	CWS August 4 010.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	14892  

Name:	CWS_eggrolls.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	14893  
Old 08-04-2012, 10:49 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Looks mighty good to me!
Old 08-04-2012, 10:58 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
Looks mighty good to me!
Thanks! Egg rolls are really easy to do. I don't know why I don't make them more often. This gave me a chance to incorporate a zucchini (at this time of year, any time a zucchini can be included in a recipe is a good thing), 1/2 head cabbage, bok choy (both from the garden), an onion, some carrot. The only thing not from the garden was the meat and the seasoning. They were very good. We didn't bother with dipping sauce...we used egg for the "glue" because, well, we have so many eggs...and they are egg rolls, after all.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:33 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Thanks! Egg rolls are really easy to do. I don't know why I don't make them more often. This gave me a chance to incorporate a zucchini (at this time of year, any time a zucchini can be included in a recipe is a good thing), 1/2 head cabbage, bok choy (both from the garden), an onion, some carrot. The only thing not from the garden was the meat and the seasoning. They were very good. We didn't bother with dipping sauce...we used egg for the "glue" because, well, we have so many eggs...and they are egg rolls, after all.
Yer pics were pretty much it, chicken lady. I'd recommend making them a bit thinner, maybe a bit less stuffing or don't press the ends in as much, but your pics were what I was trying to describe earlier with words. I hope it didn't seem like I was talking down to anybody but I'm not at all sure everybody knows the correct way to assemble egg rolls with the wrappers on diagonal.

Really your egg sealer is totally unnecessary. Mine have stuck fine with just a bit of water moistening. But I understand your cornucopia of eggs, and eggs are often used as sealers in baking.

For egg rolls I always love hot mustard. Get it in bulk, it lasts forever, just mix with water. I guess the pure mustard is hotter because the bottle stuff has vinegar, lemon juice, etc. I also like a sweet/hot/garlic sauce with my egg rolls.

Quote:
The only thing not from the garden was the meat and the seasoning.
What meat, what seasoning?
Old 08-04-2012, 11:38 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Message #30.

I should have taken pics of the ones the DH rolled!!! His were 2" wide, and more square than round. No wonder we were too full to eat the rest of the meal!!! We supersized our eggrolls!
Old 08-04-2012, 11:52 PM   #38
Executive Chef

Two inches wide and two inches in diameter?

I'm no authority on this but I think they're better when made long and skinny. You can take smaller bites and savor them longer, and you get more opportunities to dip them in the sauce!

Presentation tip: When you have your rolls all cooked and ready to serve, cut each in the middle on the diagonal for a very pleasing presentation.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:16 AM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

I'm no authority on this but I think they're better when made long and skinny. You can take smaller bites and savor them longer, and you get more opportunities to dip them in the sauce!

Presentation tip: When you have your rolls all cooked and ready to serve, cut each in the middle on the diagonal for a very pleasing presentation.
I took the pic after we ate--those two were destined for the freezer. I was out chasing chickens around the front yard while the DH took over cooking the egg rolls. I have two chickens that insist on escaping to the front yard (haven't figured out how they do that). The problem is, they can't figure out how to get back to the backyard. I have one of them accustomed to coming in the front door, darting through the living room, and exiting through the patio door. (Yes, there was a trail of corn up the steps, through the living room to the patio--without the feed, she won't enter the house--she bolts--dang Plymouth Rock...that would be Millie). The other one, however, has not learned that trick...a few nights ago, she was in the culvert under the driveway. She's the "Wayward One" of the five Lohmanns I got two weeks ago. I had to lure her to me with a flashlight.

I was just happy the DH didn't wander off (has that male attention-deficit disorder thing) while the egg rolls were in the deep fryer. It was enough of a challenge getting the chickens back where they belonged without having to add "herding" the DH to the mix.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:23 AM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Yup. Needless to say, he was done with his 1/2 of the filling before I was and he rolled fewer egg rolls than I did.

Tags
None