"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-25-2012, 11:30 AM   #81
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 8,398
Hm, I do not think I have a secret. Fill the frying pan with oil till about half of the size of an egg roll. Per heat till a little drop of water makes a little explosion, basically pretty hot. Turn the heat down to medium high, add egg rolls fry on one side turn over, fry the second side. Consider the fact that even thou the side you just flipped is not in the oil it is still frying and will get darker. Take out drain on the paper towel. Done. There is really no secret. Maybe your oil was not hot enough?
__________________

__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:35 AM   #82
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,884
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I always thought of egg rolls as something that was "too hard" for a home cook. I'm going to have to give this a try. I bought some wrappers. If that works well, I will try making my own whole grain wrappers.
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:39 AM   #83
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Hm, I do not think I have a secret. Fill the frying pan with oil till about half of the size of an egg roll. Per heat till a little drop of water makes a little explosion, basically pretty hot. Turn the heat down to medium high, add egg rolls fry on one side turn over, fry the second side. Consider the fact that even thou the side you just flipped is not in the oil it is still frying and will get darker. Take out drain on the paper towel. Done. There is really no secret. Maybe your oil was not hot enough?
It may be that my filling is too moist, or that I over-stuff my egg-rolls. Sometimes, just sometimes, they come out very good, and nicely browned and crispy on the outside. Sometimes, as they sit, the egg-roll skin can get soggy.

I think next time I make them, I'm going to drain the filling in a colander. That might help.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:40 AM   #84
Master Chef
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Hm, I do not think I have a secret. Fill the frying pan with oil till about half of the size of an egg roll. Per heat till a little drop of water makes a little explosion, basically pretty hot. Turn the heat down to medium high, add egg rolls fry on one side turn over, fry the second side. Consider the fact that even thou the side you just flipped is not in the oil it is still frying and will get darker. Take out drain on the paper towel. Done. There is really no secret. Maybe your oil was not hot enough?
I do mine about the same way Charlie. Medium cast iron pan about 2" peanut oil. Screaming hot till drop of water screams and disappears when dropped in. STAND BACK!! Brown flip repeat drain.
__________________
Your hand and your mouth agreed many years ago that, as far as chocolate is concerned, there is no need to involve your brain. -Dave Barry
msmofet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:42 AM   #85
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,318
I do mine in my deep-fat fryer (peanut oil). I have also baked them in the oven. TL--I used AP this time, but want to use homeground rice flour from brown rice next time. They are really easy to make if you can roll pastry (which I thought everyone could do until I went to the pie-making group at a local church. It seems that only 3-4 volunteers can roll pastry). Let me know how they turn out if you try them.

I took an 8-week (once a week) cooking course when I was in university. One of the evenings was Chinese food and we made egg rolls. I too had thought they were too complicated. The trick, I find, is to let the filling drain for at least an hour and not to overfill them! The other dishes we made that night were shrimp refried rice and beef-oyster wraps. Dishes I still make today. The egg rolls were a lot of fun to make. You and Stirling (or just you) could come for an overnight (I have 2 guestrooms) and we could make egg rolls. The other fun week was when wild rice was the featured ingredient.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:49 AM   #86
Master Chef
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I do mine in my deep-fat fryer (peanut oil). I have also baked them in the oven. TL--I used AP this time, but want to use homeground rice flour from brown rice next time. They are really easy to make if you can roll pastry (which I thought everyone could do until I went to the pie-making group at a local church. It seems that only 3-4 volunteers can roll pastry). Let me know how they turn out if you try them.

I took an 8-week (once a week) cooking course when I was in university. One of the evenings was Chinese food and we made egg rolls. I too had thought they were too complicated. The trick, I find, is to let the filling drain for at least an hour and not to overfill them! The other dishes we made that night were shrimp refried rice and beef-oyster wraps. Dishes I still make today. The egg rolls were a lot of fun to make. You and Stirling (or just you) could come for an overnight (I have 2 guestrooms) and we could make egg rolls. The other fun week was when wild rice was the featured ingredient.
I'm wondering if the dough can be well floured and run through the rollers of a pasta machine
__________________
Your hand and your mouth agreed many years ago that, as far as chocolate is concerned, there is no need to involve your brain. -Dave Barry
msmofet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:51 AM   #87
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,884
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
I'm wondering if the dough can be well floured and run through the rollers of a pasta machine
That's what I was thinking.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:04 PM   #88
Executive Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,788
I saw a technique on youtube that worked great. I just browned the ground pork and while I was doing that I put the cabbage and carrot mixture in the microwave for 5 minutes. It was the coleslaw mix from the grocery store. It came out great. I just mixed it with the pork and added the remaining ingredients. Let it cool and then did up the rolls. I just use the store bought wrappers. They can make them better than me and made the whole thing much easier and a pleasure to make.
I spent about 8 bucks for everything and got 24 eggrolls. That works out to 33.3 cents an eggroll. They are a good size.
__________________
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:10 PM   #89
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: here
Posts: 3,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I just can't seem to get the wrappers to come out as crispy, and golden as i'd like.
Just buy them!
__________________
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:30 PM   #90
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,884
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Glad to see you're back posting Greg.
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.