"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 09-25-2012, 11:30 AM   #81
Master Chef

Hm, I do not think I have a secret. Fill the frying pan with oil till about half of the size of an egg roll. Per heat till a little drop of water makes a little explosion, basically pretty hot. Turn the heat down to medium high, add egg rolls fry on one side turn over, fry the second side. Consider the fact that even thou the side you just flipped is not in the oil it is still frying and will get darker. Take out drain on the paper towel. Done. There is really no secret. Maybe your oil was not hot enough?

Old 09-25-2012, 11:35 AM   #82
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I always thought of egg rolls as something that was "too hard" for a home cook. I'm going to have to give this a try. I bought some wrappers. If that works well, I will try making my own whole grain wrappers.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:39 AM   #83
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Hm, I do not think I have a secret. Fill the frying pan with oil till about half of the size of an egg roll. Per heat till a little drop of water makes a little explosion, basically pretty hot. Turn the heat down to medium high, add egg rolls fry on one side turn over, fry the second side. Consider the fact that even thou the side you just flipped is not in the oil it is still frying and will get darker. Take out drain on the paper towel. Done. There is really no secret. Maybe your oil was not hot enough?
It may be that my filling is too moist, or that I over-stuff my egg-rolls. Sometimes, just sometimes, they come out very good, and nicely browned and crispy on the outside. Sometimes, as they sit, the egg-roll skin can get soggy.

I think next time I make them, I'm going to drain the filling in a colander. That might help.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:40 AM   #84
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I do mine about the same way Charlie. Medium cast iron pan about 2" peanut oil. Screaming hot till drop of water screams and disappears when dropped in. STAND BACK!! Brown flip repeat drain.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:42 AM   #85
Chef Extraordinaire

I do mine in my deep-fat fryer (peanut oil). I have also baked them in the oven. TL--I used AP this time, but want to use homeground rice flour from brown rice next time. They are really easy to make if you can roll pastry (which I thought everyone could do until I went to the pie-making group at a local church. It seems that only 3-4 volunteers can roll pastry). Let me know how they turn out if you try them.

I took an 8-week (once a week) cooking course when I was in university. One of the evenings was Chinese food and we made egg rolls. I too had thought they were too complicated. The trick, I find, is to let the filling drain for at least an hour and not to overfill them! The other dishes we made that night were shrimp refried rice and beef-oyster wraps. Dishes I still make today. The egg rolls were a lot of fun to make. You and Stirling (or just you) could come for an overnight (I have 2 guestrooms) and we could make egg rolls. The other fun week was when wild rice was the featured ingredient.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:49 AM   #86
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I do mine in my deep-fat fryer (peanut oil). I have also baked them in the oven. TL--I used AP this time, but want to use homeground rice flour from brown rice next time. They are really easy to make if you can roll pastry (which I thought everyone could do until I went to the pie-making group at a local church. It seems that only 3-4 volunteers can roll pastry). Let me know how they turn out if you try them.

I took an 8-week (once a week) cooking course when I was in university. One of the evenings was Chinese food and we made egg rolls. I too had thought they were too complicated. The trick, I find, is to let the filling drain for at least an hour and not to overfill them! The other dishes we made that night were shrimp refried rice and beef-oyster wraps. Dishes I still make today. The egg rolls were a lot of fun to make. You and Stirling (or just you) could come for an overnight (I have 2 guestrooms) and we could make egg rolls. The other fun week was when wild rice was the featured ingredient.
I'm wondering if the dough can be well floured and run through the rollers of a pasta machine
Old 09-25-2012, 11:51 AM   #87
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
I'm wondering if the dough can be well floured and run through the rollers of a pasta machine
That's what I was thinking.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:04 PM   #88
Executive Chef

I saw a technique on youtube that worked great. I just browned the ground pork and while I was doing that I put the cabbage and carrot mixture in the microwave for 5 minutes. It was the coleslaw mix from the grocery store. It came out great. I just mixed it with the pork and added the remaining ingredients. Let it cool and then did up the rolls. I just use the store bought wrappers. They can make them better than me and made the whole thing much easier and a pleasure to make.
I spent about 8 bucks for everything and got 24 eggrolls. That works out to 33.3 cents an eggroll. They are a good size.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:10 PM   #89
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I just can't seem to get the wrappers to come out as crispy, and golden as i'd like.
Just buy them!
Old 09-25-2012, 09:30 PM   #90
Chef Extraordinaire

Glad to see you're back posting Greg.

Tags
None