Homemade Egg Rolls?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry CWS, won't work IMO. My experience is that the egg rolls dry out too quickly (the outside wrappers) to allow them to be refrigerated or frozen (unless cooked). This is why you never ever leave your stack of wrappers exposed to the air. (I leave the stack covered by a sacrificial wrapper and always use the second from the top. At least at minimum they must be covered by plastic or a damp towel or something while you are assembling them.)

I made my egg rolls a few hours ahead one time I was entertaining guests. I wrapped them individually in plastic wrap and thought I had it covered, but when I cooked them they got all bloated out and the presentation was ruined.

My advice is if you're going to make anything ahead make just the filling. Do your final assembly and cooking as soon as possible to serving time.

By the way, egg roll wrappers, won tons etc. freeze perfectly fine in the package (or even divided and tightly rewrapped) and can be kept for months. Thaw them in refrigerator 1-2 days. If you open the package and rewrap you should plan on discarding the top and bottom pieces.

I've never tried it but perhaps you could freeze them after partially frying them. You might even get away with cooking them straight from freezer to frying pan. I've seen some products cooked that way.

BTW as far as I'm concerned they gotta have both bean sprouts and cabbage! :)

Suggestion: use 3/4 chopped shrimp and 1/4 ground pork in the filling. Mix the two thoroughly before using. They make a very nice combination!

Last edited:
I've never tried it but perhaps you could freeze them after partially frying them. You might even get away with cooking them straight from freezer to frying pan. I've seen some products cooked that way.

This works. I haven't made egg rolls in a long time, but I was using one of Martin Yan's books (Yan Can Cook) And those were the instructions if you want to cook some now and then cook some later.

If there are any leftovers ;), I do what Charlie does, bake or fry, then freeze.

I buy the packaged wrappers. To add to the filling ideas:

Avocado eggrolls (like The Cheesecake Factory) - diced avocado, sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped red onions, fresh cilantro, salt, to taste.

Lobster or crab rolls.

Italian Egg Rolls - cooked angel hair pasta (cut in 1" lengths), cooked Italian Sausage, garlic, capers, basil, dried oregano, grated Parmesan cheese, roasted red peppers. Serve with marinara dipping sauce.

The egg roll wrappers make good wraps for dessert fillings like apples

Apple Pie Purses
Egg Roll Wraps Recipes: Baked Apple Pie Purses

An appetizers idea:

Asparagus wrapped in Prosciutto

Egg Roll Wraps Recipes: Asparagus and Prosciutto Roll-Ups

Last edited:
I love making egg rolls and have made them many times. I have never, however, made them with the intention of freezing them. When you say partially fry--at what temp and for how long? I have a freezer that has a flash freeze setting, not your standard freezer so I can flash freeze things in 30 minutes. I don't want to just do the filling and freeze that, might as well make the filling at the same time I want to make egg rolls.

I cover the wrappers with a damp dish towel while I'm rolling. I do the same with phyllo or puff pastry.

I'm trying something different today. I had a party catered last spring, and the Chef made Tourtiere Eggrolls. The traditional stuffing, but wrapped, and baked instead of fried. They were fabulous, and a fun takeoff on a traditional Quebec dish. Just trying to reach him to figure out what temp my oven should be.

OMG, if my husband hears about this, I'm toast! I introduced him (and re-introduced my Quebecoise-descended family) to tourtiere years ago. It was love at first bite, and if I tell him I can make egg rolls from it, well, I just won't, or I'll be stuck in deep-fryer hell for all eternity!

I've make all sorts of what I'll call egg rolls over the years, using various kinds of wrappers. Now all I can get are the won-ton and regular egg roll wrappers. Once a neighbor's Vietnamese mother came over and we moved the kitchen table to the middle of the room, and she taught us how to make those absolutely delicious Vietnamese spring rolls. I cannot buy those particular kinds of wrappers locally (much thinner than the regular Chinese egg roll wrappers). In Hawaii I used to be able to buy the wrappers for Filipino egg rolls (long and thin, sort of like a cigar, can't remember what they're called).

Great eats, all of them!

Oh, good grief. I forgot why I answered this. I freeze them completely raw. This was at the instigation of the aforementioned Vietnamese friend. I don't know if it would work with regular egg rolls (the Vietnamese ones are thinner-skinned and smaller), then dust off any ice crystals and fry. By the time they're brown on both sides (I use about 1/2 inch of oil in a frying pan, as she did, so you have to turn them once) the insides are cooked. The larger, thick skinned egg rolls probably need to be cooked before freezing.

Oh, good grief. I forgot why I answered this. I freeze them completely raw. This was at the instigation of the aforementioned Vietnamese friend. I don't know if it would work with regular egg rolls (the Vietnamese ones are thinner-skinned and smaller), then dust off any ice crystals and fry. By the time they're brown on both sides (I use about 1/2 inch of oil in a frying pan, as she did, so you have to turn them once) the insides are cooked. The larger, thick skinned egg rolls probably need to be cooked before freezing.
Were the wrappers the white rice paper wrappers? I have some of those in the cupboard and could use those for the ones I want to freeze....

Were the wrappers the white rice paper wrappers? I have some of those in the cupboard and could use those for the ones I want to freeze....
We're almost ready to wrap and roll. For the filling, I did this:

1 lb ground chicken
1 T EVOO
1 tsp Chinese 5 Spice
1-1/2 tsp grated ginger
2 tsp mushroom soy sauce

Once the meat was brown, I added:

1/2 head cabbage, chopped
2 carrots, grated
1 c bok choy-chopped
3/4 c wild rice (cooked, this was in the freezer and was 1/3 white, 2/3 wild rice, some lentils, barley, and wild mushrooms)
1 zucchini (julienned) about 1 c
1/2 c onion
2 tsp sesame oil
2 tsp black bean sauce
1 tsp rice vinegar
a couple of shakes of Frank's Red Sauce
more 5-spice
fresh coriander (about 2T)

I cooked the veggies for about 3 minutes, transferred everything to a colander and let that drain while it cooled. Just waiting for the wrapping partner to show up.

I think not. The white rice paper wrappers are intended to be moistened to make them pliable and then serve them fresh (Vietnamese fresh spring rolls). I expect the wet wrapper would not go well with hot oil.

Instead use the egg roll wrappers that are sold refrigerated. They are usually 6" squares or about that size.

BTW, I'm not sure if everybody knows how to stuff them. Place the egg roll wrapper square so that one point faces you, one away, one to each side. Place your filling inside. Dip your finger in water and moisten the entire perimeter of the wrapper. (This is the glue.) Take the nearest point and fold it over the stuffing, then fold the side points over towards the middle. Finally continue rolling it up. Use additional moisture as necessary to ensure a complete seal so that the roll won't unroll or fall apart or have the stuffing come out.

Last edited:
I think not. The white rice paper wrappers are intended to be moistened to make them pliable and then serve them fresh (Vietnamese fresh spring rolls). I expect the wet wrapper would not go well with hot oil.

Instead use the egg roll wrappers that are sold refrigerated. They are usually 6" squares or about that size.

BTW, I'm not sure if everybody knows how to stuff them. Place the egg roll wrapper square so that one point faces you, one away, one to each side. Place your filling inside. Dip your finger in water and moisten the entire perimeter of the wrapper. (This is the glue.) Take the nearest point and fold it over the stuffing, then fold the side points over towards the middle. Finally continue rolling it up. Use additional moisture as necessary to ensure a complete seal so that the roll won't unroll or fall apart or have the stuffing come out.
I have some pics of rolling them and two of the finished product , but for some reason, the server keeps timing out. I'll try again tomorrow.

I have some pics of rolling them and two of the finished product , but for some reason, the server keeps timing out. I'll try again tomorrow.
Problem was on my end. Let's see if it works now:

Attachments

• CWS August 4 006.jpg
    CWS August 4 006.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 210
  • CWS August 4 008.jpg
    CWS August 4 008.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 186
  • CWS August 4 009.jpg
    CWS August 4 009.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 178
  • CWS August 4 010.jpg
    CWS August 4 010.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 156
  • CWS_eggrolls.jpg
    CWS_eggrolls.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 219
Looks mighty good to me!
Thanks! Egg rolls are really easy to do. I don't know why I don't make them more often. This gave me a chance to incorporate a zucchini (at this time of year, any time a zucchini can be included in a recipe is a good thing), 1/2 head cabbage, bok choy (both from the garden), an onion, some carrot. The only thing not from the garden was the meat and the seasoning. They were very good. We didn't bother with dipping sauce...we used egg for the "glue" because, well, we have so many eggs...and they are egg rolls, after all.

Last edited:
Thanks! Egg rolls are really easy to do. I don't know why I don't make them more often. This gave me a chance to incorporate a zucchini (at this time of year, any time a zucchini can be included in a recipe is a good thing), 1/2 head cabbage, bok choy (both from the garden), an onion, some carrot. The only thing not from the garden was the meat and the seasoning. They were very good. We didn't bother with dipping sauce...we used egg for the "glue" because, well, we have so many eggs...and they are egg rolls, after all.

Yer pics were pretty much it, chicken lady. :) I'd recommend making them a bit thinner, maybe a bit less stuffing or don't press the ends in as much, but your pics were what I was trying to describe earlier with words. I hope it didn't seem like I was talking down to anybody but I'm not at all sure everybody knows the correct way to assemble egg rolls with the wrappers on diagonal.

Really your egg sealer is totally unnecessary. Mine have stuck fine with just a bit of water moistening. But I understand your cornucopia of eggs, and eggs are often used as sealers in baking.

For egg rolls I always love hot mustard. Get it in bulk, it lasts forever, just mix with water. I guess the pure mustard is hotter because the bottle stuff has vinegar, lemon juice, etc. I also like a sweet/hot/garlic sauce with my egg rolls.

The only thing not from the garden was the meat and the seasoning.
What meat, what seasoning? :)

Last edited:
Message #30.

I should have taken pics of the ones the DH rolled!!! His were 2" wide, and more square than round. No wonder we were too full to eat the rest of the meal!!! We supersized our eggrolls!

Last edited:
Two inches wide and two inches in diameter? :)

I'm no authority on this but I think they're better when made long and skinny. You can take smaller bites and savor them longer, and you get more opportunities to dip them in the sauce!

Presentation tip: When you have your rolls all cooked and ready to serve, cut each in the middle on the diagonal for a very pleasing presentation.

Two inches wide and two inches in diameter? :)

I'm no authority on this but I think they're better when made long and skinny. You can take smaller bites and savor them longer, and you get more opportunities to dip them in the sauce!

Presentation tip: When you have your rolls all cooked and ready to serve, cut each in the middle on the diagonal for a very pleasing presentation.
I took the pic after we ate--those two were destined for the freezer. I was out chasing chickens around the front yard while the DH took over cooking the egg rolls. I have two chickens that insist on escaping to the front yard (haven't figured out how they do that). The problem is, they can't figure out how to get back to the backyard. I have one of them accustomed to coming in the front door, darting through the living room, and exiting through the patio door. (Yes, there was a trail of corn up the steps, through the living room to the patio--without the feed, she won't enter the house--she bolts--dang Plymouth Rock...that would be Millie). The other one, however, has not learned that trick...a few nights ago, she was in the culvert under the driveway. She's the "Wayward One" of the five Lohmanns I got two weeks ago. I had to lure her to me with a flashlight.

I was just happy the DH didn't wander off (has that male attention-deficit disorder thing) while the egg rolls were in the deep fryer. It was enough of a challenge getting the chickens back where they belonged without having to add "herding" the DH to the mix.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom