Homemade Egg Rolls?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was just happy the DH didn't wander off (has that male attention-deficit disorder thing) while the egg rolls were in the deep fryer. It was enough of a challenge getting the chickens back where they belonged without having to add "herding" the DH to the mix.

Well in defense of your husband I'll have to point out that a deep fryer has no remote control...

Yup. Needless to say, he was done with his 1/2 of the filling before I was and he rolled fewer egg rolls than I did.

Ya think? ;)

I suspect putting in too much stuffing is a common mistake.

Well in defense of your husband I'll have to point out that a deep fryer has no remote control...

Ya think? ;)

I suspect putting in too much stuffing is a common mistake.
I kept telling him he was putting in too much filling, but he has all those initials after his name and thinks he knows everything :rolleyes:. I probably shouldn't have given him the same sized spoon as the one I was using...

I decided I needed a bit of a snack--the ice cream I ate this afternoon wasn't going to hold me all night. So, I thawed 3 egg rolls that I made last week (each was wrapped individually in saran wrap). I let them sit at room temp for about 45 minutes (I couldn't wait any longer). I pulled about 1/4 c of homemade cranberry salsa out of the freezer as well. I heated (re-heated?) the egg rolls in the toaster oven at about 400 for 2-3 minutes each side, heated the salsa in the microwave for about 1 minute. The egg rolls were so crispy, I'm still wiping crumbs off my chest. And the salsa as the "dipping sauce" was A1 with the filling of veggies and ground chicken.

Do you have any special equipment to flash freeze, or do you just put it in your freezer? Um, you know, like quickly. :)
A friend was a pastry chef. She had one of these 1/2 size upright "flash freeze" freezers. When she moved, she didn't have room for it, so she gave it to me. So yes, I have a special freezer. I think it is a "flash freeze" freezer because each shelf has a temp dial. It takes about 30 minutes to flash freeze something. I am loving it for the veggies this summer (she moved last November).

One fun thing about egg rolls is that while they are typically Asian you can make them with almost anything. Perhaps not called egg rolls but I've seen pizza rolls that are egg rolls with pizza topping like stuffing.

CWS what temperature do you use for flash freezing? Can regular people get that in a freezer or deep freeze?

I think it is -4F, but I'd have to check. I haven't changed the settings that she had it at (which are in C). She got it at a restaurant supply place.

TYVM. I think I'll put it on my list... after the sous vide. :) Maybe not. I think even the sous vide may be going too far, unless lucky like you to get one gifted.

CW, I'm sorry, only today got to PC. I've done the same thing many times since this was originally posted. Works like a clock. I have tried to freeze it before frying with no luck. The result was lousy.

My wife likes egg rolls with avocado and sun-dried tomatoes.
As the "sauce" or as the filling? The three I ate last night were not soggy--they were very crispy. I did them in the toaster oven because I was only reheating three and didn't want to start the oven for that. It seems to me if one buys frozen egg rolls, they are pre-cooked as well.

TYVM. I think I'll put it on my list... after the sous vide. :) Maybe not. I think even the sous vide may be going too far, unless lucky like you to get one gifted.
The one I have is the size of a bar fridge and it is an upright. It wasn't quite gifted (I think we agreed $50) and I love it.

As the "sauce" or as the filling? The three I ate last night were not soggy--they were very crispy. I did them in the toaster oven because I was only reheating three and didn't want to start the oven for that. It seems to me if one buys frozen egg rolls, they are pre-cooked as well.

Yes, as the Filling, plus the seasoning to taste, of course. And yes you are right about store bought eggrols they are pre-cooked, all you have to do is to pop them in the oven.

My first homemade egg rolls got 2 thumbs up from the family.

img_1185771_0_e680195c8c39a2d80d285accfeddd2b7.jpg

Back
Top Bottom