Homemade Gyros with Tzatziki Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you for sharing your recipe, Steve. It looks and sounds wonderful! Copied and pasted. :yum:

English cucumbers are the long thin ones. Often they come wrapped in plastic to help keep them fresh longer. Most larger supermarkets carry them these days.

cucumber.jpg

Yes. They are marketed here as "burpless/seedless cucumbers. Awfully expensive though. I bought them before, but they were on sale. Do they work better than the other types? Do they taste better?
I think the cucumber seeds I planted are this type. I should have plenty cukes this season. Thats if they sprout? The seeds were old, but were still in the packaging.

Gonna copy and paste that right away. Looks good.

I also copied and pasted the recipe.

Yes. They are marketed here as "burpless/seedless cucumbers. Awfully expensive though. I bought them before, but they were on sale. Do they work better than the other types? Do they taste better?
I think the cucumber seeds I planted are this type. I should have plenty cukes this season. Thats if they sprout? The seeds were old, but were still in the packaging.

I also copied and pasted the recipe.

RB, in my opinion they are so superior to regular cucumbers, they are worth the extra price and are the only ones I buy. I personally don't mind paying more for something that's worth it. They have a milder flavor and there's no waste as they don't need to be peeled or seeded. We love them sliced paper thin on a mandolin along with white onion and dressed with rice wine vinegar mixed with sugar and white pepper. Yumm..:yum:

With English cucumbers, I don't seed them and don't notice any seeds in the sauce. With other cucumber varieties, I probably would remove them.
I seed them to cut down on the amount of liquid. Even if I squeeze the grated cucumber, there seems to be more liquid that accummulates when the tatziki sits than when I seed the cukes. Besides, the girls like the seeds.

Steve,

I made this for lunch today and it is definitely a keeper!

I made it with ground pork and I used 3/4 t of Morton's Tender Quick curing salt instead of the Kosher salt. I mixed it up yesterday, formed it into a chub using cling film and refrigerated it overnight. This morning I removed the cling film and wrapped it in aluminum foil. I baked it at 375 for 45 minutes and let it rest in the foil until it was warm. I served thin slices of it with black olives, grape tomatoes, red onion rings and cucumber slices all drizzled with Tzatziki. The only thing missing was the pita bread, darn those carbs! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Oh what a dinner we had Steve!

I followed your ingredients exactly for the ground lamb, with the addition of about two tablespoons of finely chopped fresh mint from my yard. I followed Aunt Bea here...... " I mixed it up yesterday, formed it into a chub using cling film and refrigerated it overnight. This morning I removed the cling film and wrapped it in aluminum foil. I baked it at 375 for 45 minutes and let it rest in the foil until it was warm." I heated up the Pita breads and served them stuffed just like your picture, with sliced onion and chopped tomatoes.

The meat was perfectly seasoned and the sauce was right on the mark too Steve.

This is a keeper for sure!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom