"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 04-25-2014, 01:14 AM   #11
Master Chef

I happened to buy two packages of ground lamb today, not knowing exactly what I had planned for it. Ground lamb is hard to find around here and when I see it, I buy it.

Low and behold.........I discover this recipe you posted Steve! I can't wait to make this!

Thank you!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:54 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Those sound great, Steve. When you make your tatziki, do you seed the cucumber before you grate it?

Old 04-25-2014, 07:39 AM   #13
Master Chef

Site Administrator

When I have made gyro meat I run it in the food processor. I also make it into a squared off roll in plastic wrap and let it sit overnight in the fridge.

Then rotisserie over charcoal. Shrinkage is an issue so I have to wrap it in twine and tie that off to the forks.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:47 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Looks excellent. Did you make the flat bread yourself? If yes, please tell me how.

Also someone asked if you seeded the cuke before gating. I assume you do seed it.
I always seed cuke no matter the use.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:59 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Looks excellent. Did you make the flat bread yourself? If yes, please tell me how.

Also someone asked if you seeded the cuke before gating. I assume you do seed it.
I always seed cuke no matter the use.
Steve had mentioned in his dinner post that he used store-bought pitas, though he probably has a recipe. And with English cukes, I don't think they need to be seeded.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:06 PM   #16
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Those sound great, Steve. When you make your tatziki, do you seed the cucumber before you grate it?
With English cucumbers, I don't seed them and don't notice any seeds in the sauce. With other cucumber varieties, I probably would remove them.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:55 PM   #17
Executive Chef

I guess I don't know what an English cucumber is.

I know the burpless/seedless, Kirby and the majority of the ones sold in grocery stores.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:15 PM   #18
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I guess I don't know what an English cucumber is.

I know the burpless/seedless, Kirby and the majority of the ones sold in grocery stores.
English cucumbers are the long thin ones. Often they come wrapped in plastic to help keep them fresh longer. Most larger supermarkets carry them these days.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:58 PM   #19
Sous Chef

This may be on the dinner menu tonight! We recently tried lamb burgers for the first time and I tell you what, they are now our burger of choice. Looking forward to gyro's tonight.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:09 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Just did it with pork tonight. It is in the oven now. I used my food processor because I never use it much. Thanks Steve. Smelling yummy around here.

Tags
homemade, lamb, recipe, sauce

Homemade Gyros with Tzatziki Sauce [SIZE="4"][B]Gyros[/B][/SIZE] Serves 4 [B]Ingredients:[/B] [LIST] [*]1 lb ground lamb [*]1 1/2 tsp kosher salt [*]1/2 tsp ground black pepper [*]1 tbsp dried oregano [*]1 tbsp dried marjoram [*]1/4 tsp cayenne pepper [*]1/2 tsp onion powder [*]2 cloves of garlic, finely minced [/LIST] Toppings: chopped tomatoes, thinly sliced onions, cucumber tzatziki sauce (recipe follows) [B]Preparation:[/B] Preheat oven to 375F Mix all ingredients well and form into an elongated egg-shaped loaf. Place on a nonstick roasting rack with foil underneath to catch any drippings. Bake 45-60 minutes, or until the internal temp is 160F. Cover with foil and let stand for 5 minutes. Slice thin and serve on warm pita folds with chopped tomato, onion, and tzatziki sauce. For an authentic restaurant style touch, you can wrap them in foil for easier eating. [SIZE="4"][B]Tzatziki Sauce[/B][/SIZE] I usually make tzatziki a day ahead of time, as it helps the flavors develop. [B]Ingredients:[/B] [LIST] [*]1 16-oz container of plain Greek yogurt [*]1 English cucumber, peeled and shredded with a box grater [*]1 clove garlic, finely minced [*]1 tbsp olive oil [*]Juice from half a lemon [*]1 tsp dried dill [*]1/4 tsp salt, or to taste [/LIST] [B]Preparation:[/B] Lightly salt the shredded cucumber and let sit for 20-30 minutes. This will help pull excess water out of it. Wrap the cucumber in a paper towel and squeeze out as much water as possible. Mix everything together and let sit in the fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight. [IMG]http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/ac125/SteveKroll/Gyros.jpg[/IMG] 3 stars 1 reviews