"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 04-24-2014, 09:15 PM   #1
Wine Guy

Homemade Gyros with Tzatziki Sauce

Gyros
Serves 4

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb ground lamb
  • 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1 tbsp dried oregano
  • 1 tbsp dried marjoram
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 2 cloves of garlic, finely minced

Toppings: chopped tomatoes, thinly sliced onions, cucumber tzatziki sauce (recipe follows)

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 375F

Mix all ingredients well and form into an elongated egg-shaped loaf. Place on a nonstick roasting rack with foil underneath to catch any drippings. Bake 45-60 minutes, or until the internal temp is 160F.

Cover with foil and let stand for 5 minutes. Slice thin and serve on warm pita folds with chopped tomato, onion, and tzatziki sauce. For an authentic restaurant style touch, you can wrap them in foil for easier eating.

Tzatziki Sauce

I usually make tzatziki a day ahead of time, as it helps the flavors develop.

Ingredients:
  • 1 16-oz container of plain Greek yogurt
  • 1 English cucumber, peeled and shredded with a box grater
  • 1 clove garlic, finely minced
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • Juice from half a lemon
  • 1 tsp dried dill
  • 1/4 tsp salt, or to taste

Preparation:
Lightly salt the shredded cucumber and let sit for 20-30 minutes. This will help pull excess water out of it. Wrap the cucumber in a paper towel and squeeze out as much water as possible.

Mix everything together and let sit in the fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:18 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Yum! I will definitely be making this! Thanks :-)

Old 04-24-2014, 09:23 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Ooh, there it is! Thanks, Steve, C&P!
Old 04-24-2014, 09:30 PM   #4
Master Chef

I gotta try this!

I wonder how it would be as grilled lamburgers or lamb sliders in mini pita pockets!
Old 04-24-2014, 09:36 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Oooo I saw this on the WFD thread the other day. Tantalizer and teaser it 'twas. Glad you posted the recipe now. Thanks.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:41 PM   #6
Head Chef

Looks great and the recipe sounds really nice.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:19 PM   #7
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I gotta try this!

I wonder how it would be as grilled lamburgers or lamb sliders in mini pita pockets!
Both would be good.

If making it as lamb burgers, I would cut back on the amount of salt to maybe half. The amount of salt in the recipe seemed like a lot to me at first, but then I realized 1.) I don't use much salt on any other part of the sandwich, and 2.) the saltiness is a big part of what makes them taste authentic. Restaurant gyros are salty as can be.

When I was first putting this recipe together, I tried a number of other recipes posted online. Most fell flat in the flavor department. So I played around with the spices until I came up with this combination. I think it's pretty authentic. So if you make it, please let me know what you think.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:28 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Do you double grind the meat, Steve? The gyro meat we have had seemed pretty finely ground, but I've never bought fresh ground lamb.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:36 PM   #9
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Do you double grind the meat, Steve? The gyro meat we have had seemed pretty finely ground, but I've never bought fresh ground lamb.
I don't double grind it. I've used recipes that call for putting everything into a food processor and turning into puree, but I've found that results in a weird texture. On top of that, it just makes more things to clean up, and I promised Cave76 this would be simple.

I choose instead to mix it well by hand. And I do mean by hand. You have to get your fingers in there and mush it all together good.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:39 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Thanks!

Tags
homemade, lamb, recipe, sauce

Homemade Gyros with Tzatziki Sauce [SIZE="4"][B]Gyros[/B][/SIZE] Serves 4 [B]Ingredients:[/B] [LIST] [*]1 lb ground lamb [*]1 1/2 tsp kosher salt [*]1/2 tsp ground black pepper [*]1 tbsp dried oregano [*]1 tbsp dried marjoram [*]1/4 tsp cayenne pepper [*]1/2 tsp onion powder [*]2 cloves of garlic, finely minced [/LIST] Toppings: chopped tomatoes, thinly sliced onions, cucumber tzatziki sauce (recipe follows) [B]Preparation:[/B] Preheat oven to 375F Mix all ingredients well and form into an elongated egg-shaped loaf. Place on a nonstick roasting rack with foil underneath to catch any drippings. Bake 45-60 minutes, or until the internal temp is 160F. Cover with foil and let stand for 5 minutes. Slice thin and serve on warm pita folds with chopped tomato, onion, and tzatziki sauce. For an authentic restaurant style touch, you can wrap them in foil for easier eating. [SIZE="4"][B]Tzatziki Sauce[/B][/SIZE] I usually make tzatziki a day ahead of time, as it helps the flavors develop. [B]Ingredients:[/B] [LIST] [*]1 16-oz container of plain Greek yogurt [*]1 English cucumber, peeled and shredded with a box grater [*]1 clove garlic, finely minced [*]1 tbsp olive oil [*]Juice from half a lemon [*]1 tsp dried dill [*]1/4 tsp salt, or to taste [/LIST] [B]Preparation:[/B] Lightly salt the shredded cucumber and let sit for 20-30 minutes. This will help pull excess water out of it. Wrap the cucumber in a paper towel and squeeze out as much water as possible. Mix everything together and let sit in the fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight. [IMG]http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/ac125/SteveKroll/Gyros.jpg[/IMG] 3 stars 1 reviews