Hot Dog, Chicago Style

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
Has anyone tried this at home?

My local source "Lucky Dog" closed...

I think I can all the stuff, Weiner, tomato, pickle, do'nt know bout that electric green relish, and some sort of Sport Peppers,

But I think the large, Steamed Buns might be difficult at home.

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.

Never tried it. I tend to have hot dogs two ways, mustard and relish or mustard and sauerkraut.

You'd be amazed what some grocery stores will do for you these days, at least around here. Want a product they don't stock, ask and they put it on their shelves, maybe in limited amounts to see if others buy it too.

Pacanis led a discussion a couple years running his PPPC (football) tailgate challenge-- make and serve a food on game day that reflected your team's opponent that week that their city was famous for. http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f123/pppc-ii-its-baaaack-86933.html

I'm sure I had the same dilemma when I made Chicago dogs that you face coming up with some ingredients for what appears to be a simple food--hot dogs.

I think I cheated and used sliced pickled jalapenos instead of sport peppers. I was just looking now, and I see La Preferida is one brand that sells sport peppers. Check the Mexican aisle at your grocery or a Mexican grocery store.

Ditto on the neon green relish. Can't remember if I actually found some or just used a regular relish.

A local grocery sells poppy seed hot dog buns,, so I lucked out there. You might want to check any local bakeries too. Google " how to steam hot dog Buns" there are several easy ways. I don't recommend nuking, as I think it toughens the bread as it cools.

I understand, substituting too many ingredients is not the goal. And it kind of undermines their authenticity.

Attachments

• chicago hot dog.jpg
    chicago hot dog.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 627

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom