How do you cook with scotch bonnets and how much should I use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amazondebs

Assistant Cook
I'm cooking a friend a thank you meal and he loves spicy Caribbean food. I'm going to cook pulled pork with spicy coleslaw and Caribbean style salad.

I normally cook the pork for an hour with Jerk seasoning and plenty of water covered with foil and then in the last ten minutes pour out the water, take the foil off and put on some BBQ sauce and cook for ten more minutes. He loves scotch bonnets so I thought I would try and incorporate them into this meal. Any thoughts or ideas how to cook with them or when should I add them? Should I try and cook the pork with them or add them at the end? Do they go well with the BBQ sauce or is there a way to incorporate them into the coleslaw or something? Thanks in advance. Debs:chef:

Hi, and welcome to DC :)

You can cut one in half and include it in the water when you cook it the first time. Depending on how hot you want it, you can remove the seeds and membranes first. Until you have some experience with them, I wouldn't use more than one. They're very hot.

You cook pulled pork in 1 hour?
Most recipes take 6 hours or more.

But anyway....

I'd just toss one in the cooking liquid.

I do that all the time when I'm making chili, etc. Sometimes I use 2 or 3.

Leaving them intact and cooking them helps temper their heat.

Defintely wear gloves and make sure you don't touch your face or eyes. Not even your lips. Even if you are used to hot spicey food. Scotch Bonnets and way up there on the Scovil Scale for heat. :angel:

what jenny said.

btw, i'm impressed jenny; 2 or 3? must be the korean influence. you must eat goju like candy.

but yeah, what do you mean by pulled pork in an hour, deb ?

traditional pulled pork comes from a pork shoulder: either a butt or shank portion, or whole (both cuts together.) for pulled pork, the butt, or the upper, skinless cut of the front shoulder is preffered.

since it is tough and has a lot of fat and sinewy muscle and connective tissue, it requires a long time to cook to render it soft and juicy.

an hour does not sufffce, even in a pressure cooker in death valley. :)

can you explain more about your cut of pork, and your method?

Last edited:
If you can get hold of one of Norman Van Aken's cookbooks at a decent price (they tend to be pretty expensive), he uses scotch bonnets and other chiles a lot. His recipes are usually pretty intensive ingredient and/or time wise, though everything we've ever made out of the one book we have has been great. Latin and Caribbean food is his forte.

Hi amazondebs, I made a goat curry last week using about ¾ kilo of meat and I just used one chopped scotch bonnet, I don't like my food too spicy hot and this was hot enough for me, though I did put a whole one in the rice and peas. As jennyema said if they are used whole you just get the flavour really not the heat.

Flavor is key with fruity peppers like scotch bonnets and Haberneros.

Leaving them whole and taking them out works best for me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom