"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery
Old 05-29-2006, 11:27 AM   #21
Senior Cook
Well real Wasabi is available in Seattle for about $60 per pound. I was told by my green grocer that the chunk I would use for a dinner would be abou$10 worth and he'd bring some in and call me. I'm anxious.

May you eat well,
Robt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 12:05 PM   #22
Senior Cook
what does it taste like?

is your glass half full or empty? my is half full
rickell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 12:21 PM   #23
Master Chef
I think everyone "tastes" things differently, but to me it tastes horseradishy but much MUCH hotter & without the vinegar that processed horseradish is made with.
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 12:25 PM   #24
Chief Eating Officer
I am not sure, but but I think rickell is asking what the real stuff tastes like as opposed to the green stuff. I have only had the green stuff so I really don't know the answer.
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 05:01 PM   #25
Assistant Cook
Wasabi is great! if you like the taste, I also recommend the japanese wasabi peas as a snack. They are crunchy with a slight wasabi flavor. They're not too hot either.
cdub1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 10:01 AM   #26
Master Chef
ironchef, when I was in Hawaii, my Chinese friends would take hot mustard and mix it with soy sauce to use as a dip with some zip for dim sum. They also would do that and pour it over other kinds of food if it was too bland. (they were northern Chinese by-way-of Taiwan if I remember correctly). Thus you get a similar zip in your food without using a Japanese ingredient! Like most of you, I've only had the green stuff (I refuse to call it Americanized since it has no English on the packaging, so I assume Japanese can't afford the real thing either!). My addition to uses is it is great in salad dressings. I add a dolop to ranch dressing and make a slaw with it, or a dab to vinegarette.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 10:03 AM   #27
Assistant Cook

Hi Alex

Am I too late giving my 2-cent worth of what I know about wasabi. I'm no Japanese & I love Japanese food & wasabi to go with it. I was having lunch in a Japanese restaurant when the Japanese manager corrected me on the right way to dip sushi & raw fish in wasabi. The wasabi sits in small dish of light sauce specially made for sushi & raw fish. One mustn't stir & thoroughly mix the wasabi & sauce. Simply pick the wasabi onto the raw fish or sushi.

Also, not to eat too much especially if it's in the powder form.

The taste & feeling of wasabi is different from chilli. While writing, I could feel tears rolling down & 'smoke' coming through my nose & ears. The after feeling is just great.

Just enjoy.

Angiebc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 12:07 AM   #28
Sous Chef
I just use it as a palat clenser when I have sushi. Its taste overpowers... everything.
Noncooks think it's silly to invest two hours' work in two minutes' enjoyment; but if cooking is evanescent, so is the ballet. -Julia Child
Banana Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 06:04 AM   #29
Senior Cook
Send a message via Yahoo to erinmself
I made some vegetarian kind of California rolls and spread a little wasabi on the nori before adding the rice and everything else. A little goes a long way!!!! I only used half a teaspoon and I felt like I had several cuts on my scalp being drenched with rubbing alcohol.
" Except the Lord build the house, they labor in vain that build it" Psalm 127:1 God Bless You!!

erinmself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 07:27 AM   #30
Executive Chef
Look here for fresh wasabi and products:

I've had it before; was able to find it -once!- at Yauhan in Fort Lee, NJ; it was wonderful; crisp, and sharp and fresh tasting, totally different from the powder or paste.

marmalady is offline   Reply With Quote