How do you use Wasabi?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well real Wasabi is available in Seattle for about $60 per pound. I was told by my green grocer that the chunk I would use for a dinner would be abou$10 worth and he'd bring some in and call me. I'm anxious.

Last edited:
I think everyone "tastes" things differently, but to me it tastes horseradishy but much MUCH hotter & without the vinegar that processed horseradish is made with.

I am not sure, but but I think rickell is asking what the real stuff tastes like as opposed to the green stuff. I have only had the green stuff so I really don't know the answer.

Wasabi is great! if you like the taste, I also recommend the japanese wasabi peas as a snack. They are crunchy with a slight wasabi flavor. They're not too hot either.

ironchef, when I was in Hawaii, my Chinese friends would take hot mustard and mix it with soy sauce to use as a dip with some zip for dim sum. They also would do that and pour it over other kinds of food if it was too bland. (they were northern Chinese by-way-of Taiwan if I remember correctly). Thus you get a similar zip in your food without using a Japanese ingredient! Like most of you, I've only had the green stuff (I refuse to call it Americanized since it has no English on the packaging, so I assume Japanese can't afford the real thing either!). My addition to uses is it is great in salad dressings. I add a dolop to ranch dressing and make a slaw with it, or a dab to vinegarette.

Wasabi

Hi Alex

Am I too late giving my 2-cent worth of what I know about wasabi. I'm no Japanese & I love Japanese food & wasabi to go with it. I was having lunch in a Japanese restaurant when the Japanese manager corrected me on the right way to dip sushi & raw fish in wasabi. The wasabi sits in small dish of light sauce specially made for sushi & raw fish. One mustn't stir & thoroughly mix the wasabi & sauce. Simply pick the wasabi onto the raw fish or sushi.

Also, not to eat too much especially if it's in the powder form.

The taste & feeling of wasabi is different from chilli. While writing, I could feel tears rolling down & 'smoke' coming through my nose & ears. The after feeling is just great.

Just enjoy.

Angie :-p

I just use it as a palat clenser when I have sushi. Its taste overpowers... everything.

I made some vegetarian kind of California rolls and spread a little wasabi on the nori before adding the rice and everything else. A little goes a long way!!!! I only used half a teaspoon and I felt like I had several cuts on my scalp being drenched with rubbing alcohol.

Marm did it have the same kick as the powdered stuff? I have heard fresh is no where near as hot, but my source is not really reliable.

Best use I've ever found for wasabi (since I don't really like sushi) is mixed in with mashed potatoes. Good stuff, good stuff. There are some other things I use it for (part of a marinade for a flat iron steak, I make a wasabi-cucumber salad dressing, etc.), but best use is on the taters.

Ever tried wasabi peas? They're little dried peas with a strong, hot wasabi flavored crust. You can find them in little cans in the Asian foods section of your grocery store. I like to crush them, mix with some panko bread crumbs and use them as a crust for salmon just before broiling.

lawchick now I have something else to buy when I make a trip to the asian grocer - live in the country...I am lucky to be able to get Wasabi at my local supermarket! Usually its not in stock.

Miss J -- If you find the peas, indulge! :) Panko breadcrumbs are not necessary for crusting...they just help to cut a bit of the heat. The great thing about wasabi (and wasabi peas) is that it doesn't have a lingering heat like some peppers; it's more of a quick zip of heat that cools off in no time.

Back
Top Bottom