"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 02-23-2010, 03:21 AM   #11
Sous Chef

Do you want to know spicy or hot?

We add lots of spices in almost every dishes but that don't mean they are hot. We add spices like cardamom, cinnamon in sweet dishes.

My DH always like 3-4 green chili with his meal But I don't like hot food.

radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:12 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to danpeikes
scale from 1-10 i like my spicy heat at an 11 my wife likes it at a 1

danpeikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:00 AM   #13
Sous Chef

We eat a lot of Indian food and when we're at Indian restaurants, I tell them to make my food a 6 (on a scale of 1 - 10) and sometimes even a 5. It was a 7 when I was in my 20's and 30's, but my stomach won't take it anymore. Dh, who is in his 50's still gets 7 or 8. Dd (8yo) asks for level 3.

When I cook at home (my mother lives with us) foods are not made spicy hot at all because of her. Each person adds the amount of spice they want before eating. Even dd likes it spicier than my mom.

Interesting aside... we're multilingual/multicultural in our house. In every language spoken by one or more of us, there is a word for "spicy hot" and a word for "temperature hot". Only in English do we not have that... because spicy doesn't necessarily mean "hot" spicy in English. I make very spicy dishes, but the spices themselves may be very mild. Interesting observation, anyway. So, we use "spicy hot" as a term and "hot hot" as a term.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:48 AM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

I can handle a lot of heat, but I enjoy a moderate amount. I do not want to be reaching for my drink after every bite. I do not want to be blotting my forehead and turning different colors. I want my mouth to tingle, but I don't want to blow out my taste buds.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:52 AM   #15
Everymom

Speaking as someone who recently had a wasabi overload...moderate heat thanks! I got a rather large wasabi chunk in my sushi the other day and it completely ruined an otherwise lovely piece of sushi. My eyes watered, my nose ran (and that is MOST unappetizing) and I could taste nothing but wasabi. I like a bit of heat but I want to taste all the nuance in my food.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:32 AM   #16
Senior Cook

I like hot food, but any more, it gives me the hiccups and digestive troubles follow, so I stick with moderately spicy.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:12 PM   #17
Head Chef

I like hot to the point that it enhances but does not overpower the flavour of the food. When I was young, I liked heat for its own sake. I can still tolerate it, but I like to think my palate has evolved beyond that.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:13 PM   #18
Master Chef

I like my food quite spicy. Remember that spicy does not necessarily mean HOT. I like hot foods as well.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:25 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
I like to have a slow burn at the top and back of my mouth, and hot enough to generate a little sweat on my brow. But I still want to taste the food. I don't like to be overwhelmed by the heat. Incidentally, I can't handle wasabi at all, though. It makes me a very unhappy person for the rest of the night.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:14 AM   #20
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Speaking as someone who recently had a wasabi overload...moderate heat thanks! I got a rather large wasabi chunk in my sushi the other day and it completely ruined an otherwise lovely piece of sushi. My eyes watered, my nose ran (and that is MOST unappetizing) and I could taste nothing but wasabi. I like a bit of heat but I want to taste all the nuance in my food.
I did the same thing one-night, it literally took my breath away. The spike in blood pressure was alarming...we took my blood pressure (it happened at work) because I was close to passing out. My pulse rate went way up, quite frightening...however I still like my wasabi, but watch much closer to how much I'm getting at a time. Scared the heck out of my nurses aide...he was the one who gave it to me for a bit of fun.

Tags
None