How spicy do you like your food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CherryThai

Assistant Cook
My husband always says that i put too many chillies in when I cook Thai food for him. How spicy do you like to prepare your Thai/Ethnic dishes? Im addicted to chillies :)

I like spicy thai food, but not too spycy, my wife though can hadle and actually likes twice as spicy as I do.

I tend to make my dishes less spicy for him, and keep some chopped chillies to add to my portion. The spicier the better :) :chef:

It depends.

When I was younger the sky was the limit.I used to make smoked habaneros every time I BBQ,d.I can still eat fire,but acid reflux really makes you pay.Enjoy it while you can,because after you get older it really kicks your butt.After just a couple of jalapenos now I could really use some depends.T.M.I I guess.

Very. In my noodle bowl lunches, I am up to 6 peppers.
So now when I make spicy, I have to remember my wife is tolerant but
not a chilihead like me! So I make it bland (with only 2 peppers) and add mine
on the side.

Less so than when I was in my twenties....but still moderately spicy. Unfortunately, I often cook for my mother and my fiance, neither of whom can tolerate too much spice.

Difficult question to answer. When I say I like HOT HOT foods, you may taste them and feel like they are no more than medium. Everyone's perception of heat is not the same.

I like heat in some dishes but I don't want it to be the overpowering flavor of the dish but a compliment to the other flavors.

Do you want to know spicy or hot?

We add lots of spices in almost every dishes but that don't mean they are hot. We add spices like cardamom, cinnamon in sweet dishes.

My DH always like 3-4 green chili with his meal But I don't like hot food.

We eat a lot of Indian food and when we're at Indian restaurants, I tell them to make my food a 6 (on a scale of 1 - 10) and sometimes even a 5. It was a 7 when I was in my 20's and 30's, but my stomach won't take it anymore. Dh, who is in his 50's still gets 7 or 8. Dd (8yo) asks for level 3.

When I cook at home (my mother lives with us) foods are not made spicy hot at all because of her. Each person adds the amount of spice they want before eating. Even dd likes it spicier than my mom.

Interesting aside... we're multilingual/multicultural in our house. In every language spoken by one or more of us, there is a word for "spicy hot" and a word for "temperature hot". Only in English do we not have that... because spicy doesn't necessarily mean "hot" spicy in English. I make very spicy dishes, but the spices themselves may be very mild. Interesting observation, anyway. So, we use "spicy hot" as a term and "hot hot" as a term. ;)

I can handle a lot of heat, but I enjoy a moderate amount. I do not want to be reaching for my drink after every bite. I do not want to be blotting my forehead and turning different colors. I want my mouth to tingle, but I don't want to blow out my taste buds.

Speaking as someone who recently had a wasabi overload...moderate heat thanks! I got a rather large wasabi chunk in my sushi the other day and it completely ruined an otherwise lovely piece of sushi. My eyes watered, my nose ran (and that is MOST unappetizing) and I could taste nothing but wasabi. I like a bit of heat but I want to taste all the nuance in my food.

I like hot food, but any more, it gives me the hiccups and digestive troubles follow, so I stick with moderately spicy.

I like hot to the point that it enhances but does not overpower the flavour of the food. When I was young, I liked heat for its own sake. I can still tolerate it, but I like to think my palate has evolved beyond that.

I like my food quite spicy. Remember that spicy does not necessarily mean HOT. I like hot foods as well.

I like to have a slow burn at the top and back of my mouth, and hot enough to generate a little sweat on my brow. But I still want to taste the food. I don't like to be overwhelmed by the heat. Incidentally, I can't handle wasabi at all, though. It makes me a very unhappy person for the rest of the night.

Speaking as someone who recently had a wasabi overload...moderate heat thanks! I got a rather large wasabi chunk in my sushi the other day and it completely ruined an otherwise lovely piece of sushi. My eyes watered, my nose ran (and that is MOST unappetizing) and I could taste nothing but wasabi. I like a bit of heat but I want to taste all the nuance in my food.

I did the same thing one-night, it literally took my breath away. The spike in blood pressure was alarming...we took my blood pressure (it happened at work) because I was close to passing out. My pulse rate went way up, quite frightening...however I still like my wasabi, but watch much closer to how much I'm getting at a time. Scared the heck out of my nurses aide...he was the one who gave it to me for a bit of fun.

Back
Top Bottom