"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 06-01-2010, 10:25 PM   #11
Mr. Greenjeans

No, you were PC the first way. It just struck me as funny and I cannot resist an opening like that.

Old 06-02-2010, 02:49 PM   #12
Head Chef

TTB I went to my go to chinese cookbook to see how they make wonton soup and this is what I found... JC makes a broth from 1 chicken, 1 TBS dry sherry, 2 slices of ginger, and 1 scallion... Bring to boil then turn to simmer, skim off the residue and simmer for 2 hours... Strain thru cheesecloth to get a clear broth...

Then when making the soup take 4 cups of broth, 1 tsp soy sauce, and 1/2 tsp salt... Bring to boil and pour boiling broth over wonton...

Old 06-02-2010, 03:42 PM   #13
Head Chef

If you want to experience a truly amazing broth, do a recipe search for Vietnamese Pho soup. Takes a bit of cooking, but by golly it is some durn good stuff. Make a big pot and freeze it in 1 serving batches.

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:49 PM   #14
Mr. Greenjeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by grillingfool View Post
if you want to experience a truly amazing broth, do a recipe search for vietnamese pho soup. Takes a bit of cooking, but by golly it is some durn good stuff. Make a big pot and freeze it in 1 serving batches.
totally!!!
Old 06-02-2010, 10:36 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Thanks again, y'all. Mimi, that broth sounds about right. Very light, like what I'm trying to recreate. What is the name of your go to Chinese cookbook? I have yet to buy any kind of Asian cookbook other than, Thailand the Beautiful Cookbook. I've really been trying to cut down but I still need some Asian cb's.

Grillingfool, thanks for mentioning Pho. I knew about beef pho, but I did not realize there was chicken pho (Pho Ga) before you suggested it. I've been googling. Yum, another new one to try.

Bigdaddy, I'm glad I gave you an opportunity to smile. :-) ... sincerely.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:43 PM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymetobake View Post
Thanks again, y'all. Mimi, that broth sounds about right. Very light, like what I'm trying to recreate. What is the name of your go to Chinese cookbook? I have yet to buy any kind of Asian cookbook other than, Thailand the Beautiful Cookbook. I've really been trying to cut down but I still need some Asian cb's.

Grillingfool, thanks for mentioning Pho. I knew about beef pho, but I did not realize there was chicken pho (Pho Ga) before you suggested it. I've been googling. Yum, another new one to try.

Bigdaddy, I'm glad I gave you an opportunity to smile. :-) ... sincerely.
TTB a book I bought for 25 cents at a book sale about 30 years ago... Joyce Chen copyright 1962, but other then leaving out the msg, I follow these recipes faithfully... Never had a problem, Ask Munky...

Tags
None