"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 07-10-2016, 09:59 AM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
Yep and they are very good.

There are also Roman semolina gnocchi, which are very good as well. Darn it Andy! We haven't made these in ages. You just had to remind me. These are made by making a semolina "porridge" and adding butter, eggs, cheese, spreading it out flat, letting it cool, then cutting it into rounds and shingle-ing them in a baking dish, drizzling with butter, sprinkling with parm and then baking. They were probably the original gnocchi since potatoes are from the New World. They have a sort of nutty flavor from the semolina flour.

Also, don't know if you noticed or not, but I made gnocchi a few days ago with butternut squash puree and potato. As I wrote, I didn't really taste the butternut squash in them, though Craig said he did in the background. You could use pumpkin, which I feel has a stronger flavor, and do the same thing.
I did notice the squash gnocchi. I don't make gnocchi often. It's not a favorite of SO's. I learned to make ricotta gnocchi from an old girl friend. She used a one pound tub of ricotta, an equal amount of flour and an egg.

Old 07-10-2016, 01:33 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
Also, don't know if you noticed or not, but I made gnocchi a few days ago with butternut squash puree and potato. As I wrote, I didn't really taste the butternut squash in them, though Craig said he did in the background. You could use pumpkin, which I feel has a stronger flavor, and do the same thing.
I love the taste of squash, but it is timid. Did you roast the squash before pureeing? I haven't tried making gnocchi with anything quite that watery: wasn't it quite a challenge?

Old 07-10-2016, 02:24 PM   #13
Head Chef

No. It was roasted, then pureed, then back into saucepan over med heat, stirring nearly constantly until dried out, starting to stick, about 5 to 7 minutes. Cooled before using.

Another way to get rid of a huge amount of excess water content in butternut squash, without any work, l discovered quite by accident years ago. I roasted and pureed it, then had something come up so no time to make ravioli that evening. I plopped the squash puree in a single ply paper towel lined mesh colander, it already had S and P in it. Next morning, there was a huge amount of liquid in the container. Lucky thing I used a good sized container, would have had a mess otherwise.

Tags
gnocchi potato, how to, other