How To Tame the Heat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
My Raging Bull Salsa is somewhat famous with a certain group of pepper-j\heads in my home town. It is blistering hot due to the pepper mix I use, and tastes really good. I decided to open a jar and have some last night. Now, as most pepper-heads know, on some days, you just handle the heat better than on others. And there are just some hot things that you eat a little at a time. Well to make a long story short, I ate about three tbs. with corn chips. The first couple chips dipped in the salsa were very tasty. After that, the heat started to build. Bu the time I was done, my mouth, teeth, gums, and lips were on fire. I tired the common wisdom remedies, i.e. ice cold milk, yogurt, honey, sugar, and even a glass of cold apple juice. While on the tongue, each took the heat away. But as soon as I swallowed, the heat came back. I knew this would happen from past experience.

From that same experience, I know that left by itself, that heat takes about 5 minutes to dissipate. I wasn't willing to wait another ten minutes. I then thought of foods eaten with hot-spicy peppers, and wondered if they were popular for a reason. Corn products made from masa harina are widely eaten with hot foods. So, I reasoned that maybe the chips might help quench the fire. I ate a couple of corn chips. To my delight, and relief, each chip lessened the heat. After about 5 more chips, the heat was gone. Those 7 chips did what all of the other things I tried couldn't. They effectively removed the capsaicinn from my mouth. So the next time you get into something more spicy-hot than you are comfortable with, try followed with corn chips. I used yellow corn chips, but don't think that makes any difference.

Let me know your thoughts on the matter.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Why would I want to get rid of the heat? I put it there on purpose!;):LOL:

If you want to intensify the heat, drink some tea!
There is a chemical in tea that actually makes the heat worse (or better, depending on what you want!). A friend and I found this out long ago, because we would pop habaneros, and when it seemed the heat was gone, and we'd start drinking iced tea, the heat came back! When we'd get others to pop the peppers for the first time, we'd give them a huge mug of iced tea, and they would wonder why their mouths were still burning half an hour after we had "cooled off". Then, we'd tell them...

Pepperhead212, have you trried my Raging Bull Salsa recipe? I think it would be right up your alley. Here it is, just in case you are curious:

Cheif Longwind's Raging Bull Salsa

Ingredients:
#10 can chopped tomatoes, with can liquor
3 ribs celery, sliced
2 yellow onioons, coarsely chopped
10 dried Japone Peppers, crushed
1 Pablano Pepper, chipped
1 Anahiem Pepper, chopped
1 red Bll Pepper, chopped
1 yellow Bell Pepper, chopped
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, mined
1 tbs. Tobasco Pepper Sauce
1 tsp. dried Carolina Reapeer powder
1 tsp. 7 Pod Dougla powder
1 tsp. Trinidad Scorpion Maruga Powder
1 tsp. Gohst Pepper powder
4 cloves fresh garlic, crushed or minced

Combine all ingredients in a large sauce pan and bring to a simmer. Let simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and either pressure can, or place in sterile jars and refrigerate. You can also freeze it.

This salsa is especially good when used to top a good frilled, or pan fried burgeer. I used to keep a jar at work so that if I started feeling a llittle sleepy, I'd walk to the fridge and eat a tsp. full. That would wake me right up and keep me going for a while.

Of course you can use this wherever you would use any tomato/pepper based salsa, i.e. tamales, enchiladas, tacos, burritos, with corn chips, or nachos, etc.

Give it a try. And when people ask for it, it is named Raging Bull Salsa. The milder versions are called Contented Cow, and Frisky Calf Salsa. Enjoy.

Seeeeya, Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom