How to use Hoisin sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpinmaryland

Sous Chef
I am usually pretty good w/ my asian sauces blending them with oils and such to produce the needed sauces but recently had a problem with Hoisen. I did not want to use all that sweetness at full strength so I thought I'd mix it w/ peanut oil but it does not dissolve in peanut oil unlike other sauces. So how do you guys use this? Mix it w/ soy sauce? But does that not kill the sweetness? I realize I will need to mix it with an aqueous type of solvent e..g water, vinegar, etc. How do others use this?

Brushed on almost done chicken wings is good.

Also, you CAN mix it with oil - you just have to whisk aggressively as you are drizzling in the oil.

I also use it as a condiment with those big bowls of Thai soup. A little goes a long way.

You can do a search here at Discuss Cooking for hoisin and find out what recipes people have to offer - here is another good link too.

When I use hoisen sauce it's always part of a stirfry sauce mix. Never any oil in the sauce mix (yuck - the oil used is just a few dollops to cook in & sometimes a drizzle of sesame oil to finish - never in the sauce mix) - just some soy sauce, dry sherry, sometimes hot chili-garlic paste. Unless you overdo it with the soy sauce, the sweetness & depth of the hoisen doesn't get lost at all, & is enhanced by the dry sherry.

I add it to potroast sometimes along with red wine, tomatoes and onions. It makes such a rich nice sauce.

The only thing I've ever dilluted hoisin sauce with is siracha pepper sauce. I don't know why you'd want to dillute it anyway. Just use it in small amounts. :huh:

I use hoisin sauce along w/soy sauce, brown sugar, ground ginger, garlic powder, sherry wine, a little salt peter, to make a marinade for Chinese styled 'cha siu' bbqued pork ribs.

thanks for all the ideas. Always had a jar of the hoisen lying around and sometimes used it as is, but the idea of cutting it came up the other day and I really had no clue. thx.

I just started a thread about my new wok. http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f8/so-i-just-bought-wok-38655.html
Hoisen is a must have for my stir fry sauce. Usually I use soy sauce, teriaki sauce, fresh or minced garlic, and an Asian chili sauce, sometimes some vinegar, and maybe a lil ginger, curry, or sugar depending on the taste and the veggies I am using. Just mix the hoisen with the above ingredients, and add some at the beginning and near the end od the stir fry process. I have never tried mixing it with oil though.

I lie to thin out hoisin with pineapple juice(just enough to loosen it up) then add cilantro ginger and lime juice. Makes a nice sauce to pair with a good satay sauce.

I like to mix Hoisin with light Soy sauce and honey, equal quantities. Only add this sauce during the last 15 minutes of cooking time on a lowish heat. Great with chicken wings/legs/thighs.

At the end toss in toasted sesame seads.

:)

I am usually pretty good w/ my asian sauces blending them with oils and such to produce the needed sauces but recently had a problem with Hoisen. I did not want to use all that sweetness at full strength so I thought I'd mix it w/ peanut oil but it does not dissolve in peanut oil unlike other sauces. So how do you guys use this? Mix it w/ soy sauce? But does that not kill the sweetness? I realize I will need to mix it with an aqueous type of solvent e..g water, vinegar, etc. How do others use this?

To kill the sweetness I would dilute it with a few drops of water, combine with stir fry sauce or soy sauce (salty/sweet), add some heat i.e. red pepper flakes or mustard, use half the amount called for, or as Caine suggested, add oyster sauce.

Hoisen uses - in stir frys, spread on a chinese pancake or tortilla for Moo Shoo or a dipping sauce.

Last edited:
I use it as a glaze, mix it in stir fry but mostly what I do is mix it with soy sauce and sriracha chili sauce. It makes for a good egg roll dip. :)

OK - I just did a mixture of grapefruit juice, soy sauce, ketchup, lots of brown sugar, fresh ginger, fresh garlic, and sriracha - YUM!

Back
Top Bottom