Huevos Rancheros

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
Powerplant's pic of Huevos Rancheros in yesterday's dinner thread really got my taste buds a'going, so much so that I just had to make it for a late breakfast this morning. Deelish! :yum: It's definitely going to be in the meal rotation from now on.

img_1382474_0_083c3713127da570bb769ada204813f4.jpg

:LOL: Sorry! Easy peasy, just a lightly fried corn tortilla with refried beans and homemade salsa, and a sunny side up egg. I basted the egg yolk with a little hot water from the frying pan to get that lightly cooked membrane thingy on top, but with the yolk still nice and runny - and almost over did it. :ohmy: Sprinkled with fresh cilantro and queso fresco. I would have put a little sour cream on the refried beans, but I forgot. :)

Powerplant's pic of Huevos Rancheros in yesterday's dinner thread really got my taste buds a'going, so much so that I just had to make it for a late breakfast this morning. Deelish! :yum: It's definitely going to be in the meal rotation from now on.

Glad I could inspire you! Your photo shows how good your breakfast was.

:LOL: Sorry! Easy peasy, just a lightly fried corn tortilla with refried beans and homemade salsa, and a sunny side up egg. I basted the egg yolk with a little hot water from the frying pan to get that lightly cooked membrane thingy on top, but with the yolk still nice and runny - and almost over did it. :ohmy: Sprinkled with fresh cilantro and queso fresco. I would have put a little sour cream on the refried beans, but I forgot. :)
That does sound easy.

I never use water when I'm frying a sunny side up egg. I just put a lid on the pan and the steam from the egg is enough to cook the part of the white that is on top of the yoke.

mmmmmm " lightly cooked membrane thingy" .

j/k

your 'splainin' and pp-ohs huevos rancheros picture makes me drool.

mmmmmm " lightly cooked membrane thingy" .

j/k

your 'splainin' and pp-ohs huevos rancheros picture makes me drool.

:LOL: I could've probably worded a better description. LOL....but that 'splainin made sense at the time. LOL :LOL: Thanks, bucky. :)

That looks soooo good! Nice, Cheryl and PPO!

Last edited:
I put in about a tablespoon of water after I slide the egg in the pan then cover with foil or a top to get the "cooked" membrane effect. The eggs I use don't have enough liquid in them to do like Taxi does. It's the only way I can keep from breaking the egg yolks consistently.

Thanks, everyone! :) chiklitmanfan, I hope your wife loves it. I'm going to make another one today with the leftover refried beans and salsa.

medtran, I do both ways with the eggs too....sometimes just a little water to baste the yolk, and other times I'll just cover them. Hard to see how they're doing with the lid on though, even though I use a glass lid. :)

Back
Top Bottom