"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 07-03-2014, 10:39 AM   #111
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Just a tip I'l share. I'm not a big fan of canned chickpeas, either. They seem to have kind of a gritty texture to me.

If you want something hummus-like in a hurry and don't want to use dried chickpeas, I've substituted canned northern beans and they work great. Just be sure and drain them well. You'll get a nice smooth texture, and most people will not even notice the difference. In fact, I've even taken my bean hummus to work and it gets a thumbs up from the Middle Eastern people in my office.
I make a quick bean dip from the marinated white beans found on the deli olive bar. Excellent on crackers or crostini and can be made just using a fork to mash them. Love it for a fast and tasty addition, especially when I find they are having a to-do at work and I didn't know beforehand.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:23 AM   #112
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Ah...thanks. So it's the smokiness. By cloying I meant the texture - like peanut butter that sticks to the mouth.
I don't find that texture in hummus made with tahini. Actually, I don't even find it in tahini sauce. I'm not a big fan of tahini on its own, in part because of that sticky texture.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:07 PM   #113
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I make a quick bean dip from the marinated white beans found on the deli olive bar. Excellent on crackers or crostini and can be made just using a fork to mash them. Love it for a fast and tasty addition, especially when I find they are having a to-do at work and I didn't know beforehand.
Are they canolloni beans? I made a hummus recipe I saw somewhere with roasted eggplant and canolloni beans. I liked it at first, but tired of it quickly. The eggplant made it really different.

The first time I made hummus I didn't have any Tahini so I made it without it and everyone liked it. Then I bought some Tahina and have been using it ever since but I don't like it as well and only use half of what it calls for in the recipe. I have enough left to make it one more time and probably won't buy the Tahini again. I know some people say it's not hummus without the Tahini but if I like it better without, mine will be made without.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:06 PM   #114
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Are they canolloni beans? I made a hummus recipe I saw somewhere with roasted eggplant and canolloni beans. I liked it at first, but tired of it quickly. The eggplant made it really different.

The first time I made hummus I didn't have any Tahini so I made it without it and everyone liked it. Then I bought some Tahina and have been using it ever since but I don't like it as well and only use half of what it calls for in the recipe. I have enough left to make it one more time and probably won't buy the Tahini again. I know some people say it's not hummus without the Tahini but if I like it better without, mine will be made without.
You could try peanut butter or another nut butter (I like almond) instead of tahini, but I do like the "smoky" element that tahini adds. If you add roasted red peppers, you can get that without the tahini.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:17 PM   #115
Certified Pretend Chef

All hummus is a bean dip but not all bean dips are hummus.

I think, at a minimum, hummus has to be made with chick peas, tahini, and oil.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:21 PM   #116
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Cannellini beans, yes!
Old 07-03-2014, 09:23 PM   #117
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
All hummus is a bean dip but not all bean dips are hummus.

I think, at a minimum, hummus has to be made with chick peas, tahini, and oil.
Agree, I was just mentioning what I do for a quick, almost can't tell sub.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:28 PM   #118
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Agree, I was just mentioning what I do for a quick, almost can't tell sub.
Actually, I was responding to post #106.

I thought your idea was a good one.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:51 PM   #119
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Thanks!
Old 07-03-2014, 11:00 PM   #120
Master Chef

Quote:
Sounds good, I'll have to try that with canned cannellini. When we had a Vons grocery store here they had a nice salad bar with all kinds of tasty things. Since it's just me, I loved being able to buy just a little bit of this and that. Sadly, Vons is no more, it's now a fitness center.

Tags
chick peas, tanhai