Hummus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the tip. It sounds like mole. They say that oil layer helps it keep longer.

I was looking up tahini onlne and they sell several type on Amazon. I was reading the reviews and this one person said that when they got it they were surprised that it wasn't tahini, but a powder and you had to mix it. What were they talking about? Doesn't it come ready to use, except for mixing the oil into it?

I was looking up tahini onlne and they sell several type on Amazon. I was reading the reviews and this one person said that when they got it they were surprised that it wasn't tahini, but a powder and you had to mix it. What were they talking about? Doesn't it come ready to use, except for mixing the oil into it?
You can make your own from ground toasted sesame seeds. I've never seen the powder. I buy mine in a jar and it is like peanut butter. I love to mix it with miso and use it as a spread on toast...

I couldn't find the tahini, but at the checkout line they said they had it.
I'll be back Saturday, so I'll pick up some then. I'm on my way to making my own hummus.

We couldn't find it either, but my husband asked the mgr and he took us right to it. It was in the aisle near the salad dressings, on a shelf with jars of grape leaves and capers. I would never have found it on my own. I think it was around $7 for a 16 oz jar. I will be making a lot of hummus because my daughter and daughter in law are going to be wanting some, so I can easily use this size jar. The first time I made it I made it without the tahini and they all loved it, but I want it to be authentic. I noticed that tanini is very high fat, but It must be good fat because it only listed 3.5 gm of sat fat out of a total of 23 gm.

I never liked chick peas plain, but I sure do like hummus!

Turn the jar of tahini upside down and leave it that way for at least a few hours. The stuff separates, with oil floating on top and hard stuff under it. Turning it upside down helps to mix and soften it.

When you are putting your groceries away, store it that way. Then it will be ready to go. I do this with several item that require mixing upon opening. Like sweetened condensed milk. Natural peanut butter is another one. :angel:

Every so often I will buy a can of chick peas and eat them like a snack. I rinse them first though. :angel:

I buy them by the case, once a month and eat them after rinsing. Sometimes I remember to put tomatoes in with them.

I buy them by the case, once a month and eat them after rinsing. Sometimes I remember to put tomatoes in with them.

Every month I buy a cluster of tomatoes just for eating. Right now I am cutting one up to add to my beets and other veggies with HV salad dressing. Chick peas and tomato. Hmmmm. Thanks. Found another way to use them. Chick peas go on next month's list. :angel:

Every month I buy a cluster of tomatoes just for eating. Right now I am cutting one up to add to my beets and other veggies with HV salad dressing. Chick peas and tomato. Hmmmm. Thanks. Found another way to use them. Chick peas go on next month's list. :angel:

Rinse the chickpeas, add in a can of diced tomatoes and chill. Lots of pepper! Yummy, it's hard for me to stop eating them.

Rinse the chickpeas, add in a can of diced tomatoes and chill. Lots of pepper! Yummy, it's hard for me to stop eating them.

I'll have to do without the pepper. It tears my innards apart. Specially fresh ground pepper. And I love pepper. For years before they were even popular, I always had a pepper mill in my kitchen. I found that the small ones worked best. I got a fresher grind than when the pepper seeds sat in a tall one. :angel:

We couldn't find it either, but my husband asked the mgr and he took us right to it. It was in the aisle near the salad dressings, on a shelf with jars of grape leaves and capers. I would never have found it on my own. I think it was around $7 for a 16 oz jar. I will be making a lot of hummus because my daughter and daughter in law are going to be wanting some, so I can easily use this size jar. The first time I made it I made it without the tahini and they all loved it, but I want it to be authentic. I noticed that tanini is very high fat, but It must be good fat because it only listed 3.5 gm of sat fat out of a total of 23 gm.

I never liked chick peas plain, but I sure do like hummus!

Actually, I never did ask Giant Eagle where it was.
I was standing in Wegmans last week waiting for something at the counter, turned, and there it was, right at the end of the aisle across from me :)

Actually, I never did ask Giant Eagle where it was.
I was standing in Wegmans last week waiting for something at the counter, turned, and there it was, right at the end of the aisle across from me :)

We don't have Wegmans, just Giant Eagle and Shop and Save. There's also Foodland but not in my area. I couldn't find it in Walmart but our Walmart is small.

The only time I had them plain was when I saw them on a salad bar. My 5 year old grandson loves them and just eats them up. Imagine that! We took him to the salad bar and he said he wants chicken peas. They didn't do anything for me. That was before I found out that that's what hummus is made from. I am trying to have beans in my diet in some form most days. What you hear is true, once your body gets used to having them, the issues become less and less, if you know what I mean.

Every time I take inventory on my basement shelves I think "no more chickpeas!" Then when canned legumes are on sale I forget and...bring home more chickpeas. I keep meaning to write down what else I need to make Balela salad so I buy the right ingredients to make it at home. OTOH, after looking at that recipe I might be golden! All I need are black beans and I usually have at least one can on hand. Had Trader Joe's Balela once and loved it, but not enough to spend over $3 for a half-pint container. :ohmy:

Every time I take inventory on my basement shelves I think "no more chickpeas!" Then when canned legumes are on sale I forget and...bring home more chickpeas. I keep meaning to write down what else I need to make Balela salad so I buy the right ingredients to make it at home. OTOH, after looking at that recipe I might be golden! All I need are black beans and I usually have at least one can on hand. Had Trader Joe's Balela once and loved it, but not enough to spend over $3 for a half-pint container. :ohmy:
That salad looks yummy. I think I will have to give this a try.

A disclaimer here taxy: I've never made Balela, just eaten it. Some recipes call for mint too. Not a fan since I got sick on Creme de Menthe on our honeymoon, but the Trader Joe's pre-made doesn't have mint. I'm trying this recipe sometime Sunday or Monday, in case you want a review.

Back
Top Bottom