Hummus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CWS, I don't think I said that organic lemons were better, just that I buy them when I need lemon zest. But, that would explain why my bottled lemon juice is so good. It's organic and doesn't have that nasty tasting sodium metabisulfite that's in most bottled lemon juice.

CWS, I don't think I said that organic lemons were better, just that I buy them when I need lemon zest. But, that would explain why my bottled lemon juice is so good. It's organic and doesn't have that nasty tasting sodium metabisulfite that's in most bottled lemon juice.
They are sooooo much better...I'm sure you identified in one of your lemon dessert recipes that they were the lemon of choice. And that organic ginger--what was I thinking? I should've bought 2 or 3 lb. Can you send it on the bus? Or are you going down to visit Stirling's mom anytime soon? I'd meet you in C'wall for that ginger. I planted some, gave some to a friend, and kicked myself in the butt for not buying a lot more. Looked everywhere--no organic ginger to be found in Ottawa...not like that organic ginger. Amazing stuff.

I have never heard of them called Chi Chi beans, but I found this info online.

A Chi-Chi bean is like a chickpea, channa, or garbanzo bean. The name comes from the Italian word for chickpea - ceci, pronounced, CHAY-chee.

I thought they were mexican.
They probably were originally

I have never heard of them called Chi Chi beans, but I found this info online.

A Chi-Chi bean is like a chickpea, channa, or garbanzo bean. The name comes from the Italian word for chickpea - ceci, pronounced, CHAY-chee.

I thought they were mexican.

They probably were originally
Nope, not originally Mexican. Chickpea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Chickpeas have been found in Neolithic Jericho, Turkey, and Greece. Wild chickpeas were found in a cave in France, carbon dated to 6790±90 BCE.

Not from the "New World".

Just a tip I'l share. I'm not a big fan of canned chickpeas, either. They seem to have kind of a gritty texture to me.

If you want something hummus-like in a hurry and don't want to use dried chickpeas, I've substituted canned northern beans and they work great. Just be sure and drain them well. You'll get a nice smooth texture, and most people will not even notice the difference. In fact, I've even taken my bean hummus to work and it gets a thumbs up from the Middle Eastern people in my office.

When is hummus not hummus? I took black chickpeas, freshly squeezed orange juice, garlic, garlic scapes, pomagrante molasses, tahini, EVOO, toasted sesame seeds, toasted ground cumin and corriander...threw that all in the blender, made hummus. Very good, but when is hummus not hummus?

I've never added tahini to hummus. Whilst I know the merits of sesame seeds etc. it strikes me as very cloying. What do others think it adds to the overall taste of hummus...if anything?

I've never added tahini to hummus. Whilst I know the merits of sesame seeds etc. it strikes me as very cloying. What do others think it adds to the overall taste of hummus...if anything?
Tahini adds a smoky layer of taste to hummus. I don't find that it adds any sweetness (which is what I assume you meant by the "very cloying"). Since I make hummus almost every week, I typically play with it. Lately, I'm on the black chickpea kick. Although, I taught s/one how to make hummus the other day and made it with only the traditional ingredients, figured he could expand on it once he has mastered making basic hummus.

Tahini adds a smoky layer of taste to hummus. I don't find that it adds any sweetness (which is what I assume you meant by the "very cloying"). Since I make hummus almost every week, I typically play with it. Lately, I'm on the black chickpea kick. Although, I taught s/one how to make hummus the other day and made it with only the traditional ingredients, figured he could expand on it once he has mastered making basic hummus.
Ah...thanks. So it's the smokiness. By cloying I meant the texture - like peanut butter that sticks to the mouth.

When is hummus not hummus? I took black chickpeas, freshly squeezed orange juice, garlic, garlic scapes, pomagrante molasses, tahini, EVOO, toasted sesame seeds, toasted ground cumin and corriander...threw that all in the blender, made hummus. Very good, but when is hummus not hummus?
I doubt that there are any hard defining terms for this. A chickpea paste/dip can be regarded as hummus, in my view.

However, I guess it comes under variations of traditional hummus.

Great to be adventurous! ;)

Just a tip I'l share. I'm not a big fan of canned chickpeas, either. They seem to have kind of a gritty texture to me.

If you want something hummus-like in a hurry and don't want to use dried chickpeas, I've substituted canned northern beans and they work great. Just be sure and drain them well. You'll get a nice smooth texture, and most people will not even notice the difference. In fact, I've even taken my bean hummus to work and it gets a thumbs up from the Middle Eastern people in my office.

I make a quick bean dip from the marinated white beans found on the deli olive bar. Excellent on crackers or crostini and can be made just using a fork to mash them. Love it for a fast and tasty addition, especially when I find they are having a to-do at work and I didn't know beforehand.

Ah...thanks. So it's the smokiness. By cloying I meant the texture - like peanut butter that sticks to the mouth.
I don't find that texture in hummus made with tahini. Actually, I don't even find it in tahini sauce. I'm not a big fan of tahini on its own, in part because of that sticky texture.

I make a quick bean dip from the marinated white beans found on the deli olive bar. Excellent on crackers or crostini and can be made just using a fork to mash them. Love it for a fast and tasty addition, especially when I find they are having a to-do at work and I didn't know beforehand.

Are they canolloni beans? I made a hummus recipe I saw somewhere with roasted eggplant and canolloni beans. I liked it at first, but tired of it quickly. The eggplant made it really different.

The first time I made hummus I didn't have any Tahini so I made it without it and everyone liked it. Then I bought some Tahina and have been using it ever since but I don't like it as well and only use half of what it calls for in the recipe. I have enough left to make it one more time and probably won't buy the Tahini again. I know some people say it's not hummus without the Tahini but if I like it better without, mine will be made without.

Are they canolloni beans? I made a hummus recipe I saw somewhere with roasted eggplant and canolloni beans. I liked it at first, but tired of it quickly. The eggplant made it really different.

The first time I made hummus I didn't have any Tahini so I made it without it and everyone liked it. Then I bought some Tahina and have been using it ever since but I don't like it as well and only use half of what it calls for in the recipe. I have enough left to make it one more time and probably won't buy the Tahini again. I know some people say it's not hummus without the Tahini but if I like it better without, mine will be made without.
You could try peanut butter or another nut butter (I like almond) instead of tahini, but I do like the "smoky" element that tahini adds. If you add roasted red peppers, you can get that without the tahini.

All hummus is a bean dip but not all bean dips are hummus.

I think, at a minimum, hummus has to be made with chick peas, tahini, and oil.

Cannellini beans, yes!

All hummus is a bean dip but not all bean dips are hummus.

I think, at a minimum, hummus has to be made with chick peas, tahini, and oil.

Agree, I was just mentioning what I do for a quick, almost can't tell sub.

Sounds good, I'll have to try that with canned cannellini. :yum: When we had a Vons grocery store here they had a nice salad bar with all kinds of tasty things. Since it's just me, I loved being able to buy just a little bit of this and that. Sadly, Vons is no more, it's now a fitness center.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom