"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 09-15-2013, 02:39 AM   #81
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
A disclaimer here taxy: I've never made Balela, just eaten it. Some recipes call for mint too. Not a fan since I got sick on Creme de Menthe on our honeymoon, but the Trader Joe's pre-made doesn't have mint. I'm trying this recipe sometime Sunday or Monday, in case you want a review.
I had the impression that you hadn't actually tried making it yet.

I rather dislike mint. But, a bit of mint in some recipes can be quite nice. It shouldn't be noticeable.

Creme de Menthe is vile stuff. I once had it in a drinkable form in Spain. We asked the bar tender to make his favourite drink for himself and us. I was quietly horrified when he served us a foamy, green drink. It was green creme de menthe and goat's milk, shaken 'til it foamed. It was actually quite nice. Colour me surprised.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:12 AM   #82
Executive Chef

I made my first batch of Hummus since I bought the Tahini and boy! What a difference! I also bought some roasted red peppers for an add in, and also some chipoltle pepper powder.

When I rinsed this can of chick peas they peeled themselves under the water. All I had to do was pick out the loose skins. I was tasting them as I went along and found out that I do like them plain, too. The only time I had had them before was on a salad bar, and I don't know what they did to them, but I didn't like them. So now I will also try them with tomatoes as suggested here.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #83
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Thanks. It seems like it would be pretty good.
So chick peas... those are garbanzo or chi chi beans, right? They come in a can?
Yes, chick peas are garbanzos and you can buy them ready cooked in cans or, as the OP used them, they come dried in packets.

You can (and I do when I'm in a hurry) use tinned chick peas but leave out the soaking and cooking. Hummus is better though when you start from scratch with dried chick peas. You can also make it without tahini paste but it tastes best with it.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:32 PM   #84
Chef Extraordinaire

Bumped this because I added toasted sesame seeds to the hummus today. Yum. Chickpeas, roasted cumin seeds, coriander seeds, cayenne pepper (pulsed that in the spice mill), 4 cloves garlic, juice of one lemon, lemon zest, 1/2 jalapeno pepper, about 30 oz. cooked chickpeas, olive oil (didn't measure), chickpea juice, tahini (didn't measure--tasted it, added more), about 1/4 c toasted/roasted sesame seeds. Stirred in about 2 T of chopped fresh coriander before I put it in the fridge for later. Might add some roasted red pepper before we dive into it later.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:50 PM   #85
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplantop View Post
Soak 1 cup of small chick peas and 1 Tablespoon Baking Soda in water overnight.

Rinse off and soak in clean water for 2 or more hours and drain.

Add chick peas and 1/2 teaspoon baking soda to pot and cook on high heat until the peas are dry. Then cook two minutes more.

Add 6 or 7 cups of water to pot and bring to a slow boil. Skim off any foam as they cook. Cook until tender and drain.

While they are cooking mix:
1/2 cup tahini
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 cloves of garlic

Add chick peas to blender and blend until smooth. Then add tanhi, lemon juice, garlic and 1/4 teaspoon cumin. Place into refrigerator.

When ready to serve use ice water (if needed) to dilute to desired consistency.

Top with a good quality olive oil, olives and chopped flat leaf parsley.

Hummus by powerplantop, on Flickr
Yum! That's how I do mine except I don't use the baking soda and I use some of the cooking water if I need tp dilute the puree.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:03 PM   #86
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Bumped this because I added toasted sesame seeds to the hummus today. Yum. Chickpeas, roasted cumin seeds, coriander seeds, cayenne pepper (pulsed that in the spice mill), 4 cloves garlic, juice of one lemon, lemon zest, 1/2 jalapeno pepper, about 30 oz. cooked chickpeas, olive oil (didn't measure), chickpea juice, tahini (didn't measure--tasted it, added more), about 1/4 c toasted/roasted sesame seeds. Stirred in about 2 T of chopped fresh coriander before I put it in the fridge for later. Might add some roasted red pepper before we dive into it later.
That sounds like a yummy addition. I found sweet red peppers on sale for 4/$5, they would be nice to dip into that hummus.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:40 PM   #87
Master Chef

Sounds really good, CWS! I love, love, love hummus - and especially like it with roasted red peppers.

It's also really yummy with roasted eggplant added in - oh, my is that ever good. One of my faves!
Old 04-05-2014, 07:09 PM   #88
Master Chef

powerplant, I meant to add how wonderful your hummus looks!
Old 04-09-2014, 10:27 AM   #89
Assistant Cook

Authentic Hummus

This is the most authentic recipe for Hummus I have seen. It is just as my Lebanese Grandmother would have prepared it. It is traditionally served with untoasted pita bread.

As for a topping, during the Christmas holidays, I am often called upon to make Hummus for a get together. I learned, again from my Grandmother that topping the hummus with chopped parsley and pomegranate seeds made it extremely festive (red and green) and the taste of the dip with the pomegranate was delicious. I will post a photo when I find it.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:22 PM   #90
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
powerplant, I meant to add how wonderful your hummus looks!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediumrare View Post
This is the most authentic recipe for Hummus I have seen. It is just as my Lebanese Grandmother would have prepared it. It is traditionally served with untoasted pita bread.

As for a topping, during the Christmas holidays, I am often called upon to make Hummus for a get together. I learned, again from my Grandmother that topping the hummus with chopped parsley and pomegranate seeds made it extremely festive (red and green) and the taste of the dip with the pomegranate was delicious. I will post a photo when I find it.
Thank you, did quite a bit of research. Then lots of trial and error. Simple is better.

Tags
chick peas, tanhai