Hummus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lovely presentation. I make hummus about 3-4x/month. I often add toasted walnuts. I usually use dried chickpeas. I make a whole bunch and freeze what I don't use for the next batch. I eat hummus on fresh veggies as a dip, on leaf lettuce as the base for a wrap, on rice wrappers topped with fresh veggies and herbs. One thing I keep meaning to try is freezing hummus, but I never seem to have any leftover.

Lovely presentation. I make hummus about 3-4x/month. I often add toasted walnuts. I usually use dried chickpeas. I make a whole bunch and freeze what I don't use for the next batch. I eat hummus on fresh veggies as a dip, on leaf lettuce as the base for a wrap, on rice wrappers topped with fresh veggies and herbs. One thing I keep meaning to try is freezing hummus, but I never seem to have any leftover.
That's a brilliant idea to freeze cooked chickpeas.

I will often buy a can of chick peas, rinse them, and eat for a snack. Love them on a salad. :angel:
I love chick peas. I will dress them with EVOO and vinegar, Italian spices, and red pepper flakes, let them sit overnight, and those are my lunch salad. I roast them, mash them, add them to all kinds of dishes. Wish I could grow them here, but they need 100+ days and we don't have that long of growing season. I use chick pea flour when I make pitas...love chick peas. And, they freeze well.

What do you all use to scoop your hummus? I have a selection of crackers that we all like, but recently my daughters have been using peapods and cucumbers.

Cucumber slices, celery and carrot sticks, sliced raw mushrooms, lightly blanched asparagus spears or broccoli florets, cauliflower chunks...pretty much any raw or barely cooked veggie you would put on any well-appointed relish tray. And, of course, pita chips! My favorite is Stacey's multigrain. :yum: They're good "naked" too.

I love chick peas. I will dress them with EVOO and vinegar, Italian spices, and red pepper flakes, let them sit overnight, and those are my lunch salad....

We picked up a tub of "Balela" at Trader Joe's once. Mmm good stuff. Forgot about it until your post, so thanks! Now I want to make some. It's basically a chick pea and black bean salad; I seen a number of variations after that point as to what else goes in. Any recipe that calls for mint in it is instantly swapped in my mind with parsley. I don't do mint ever since the "Mint Julep Incident" on our honeymoon...:sick:

I've got chick peas soaking...I'm thinking I will roast some of them for about 15-20 minutes before I turn them into hummus. Hummus is so easy to make if you have a blender or food processor. I don't know why s/one would ever buy it "ready made." I like a bit of heat in mine so I usually add a fresh jalapeno pepper when I'm blending everything. And nuts (usually roasted walnuts although the last time I made it, I added toasted hemp seeds).

Nice photos PPO! Were you a Food Stylist in a prior life? ;) BTW, the hummus looks yummy too. I've never made it even though our son keeps saying "but it's so EASY Mom!". One of these days I'll have to shock him - and then post a photo on Facebook so he knows I didn't lie.

I like my store-bought one with kalamata olives. :yum: Or I'll jazz up the plain one with a bit of lemon zest. Heck, it's ALL good! :LOL:

Thank you.

That would be a good surprise for your son! Just be sure and jazz it up the way you like!

I've got chick peas soaking...I'm thinking I will roast some of them for about 15-20 minutes before I turn them into hummus. Hummus is so easy to make if you have a blender or food processor. I don't know why s/one would ever buy it "ready made." I like a bit of heat in mine so I usually add a fresh jalapeno pepper when I'm blending everything. And nuts (usually roasted walnuts although the last time I made it, I added toasted hemp seeds).

I have never roasted any before making the hummus.

Soak 1 cup of small chick peas and 1 Tablespoon Baking Soda in water overnight.

Rinse off and soak in clean water for 2 or more hours and drain.

Add chick peas and 1/2 teaspoon baking soda to pot and cook on high heat until the peas are dry. Then cook two minutes more.

Add 6 or 7 cups of water to pot and bring to a slow boil. Skim off any foam as they cook. Cook until tender and drain.

While they are cooking mix:
1/2 cup tahini
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 cloves of garlic

Add chick peas to blender and blend until smooth. Then add tanhi, lemon juice, garlic and 1/4 teaspoon cumin. Place into refrigerator.

When ready to serve use ice water (if needed) to dilute to desired consistency.

Top with a good quality olive oil, olives and chopped flat leaf parsley.

Hummus by powerplantop, on Flickr
This is virtually the recipe I use but rather than using iced water to adjust the texture of the hummus, I use a little of the water the chick peas were cooked in.

And don't use tinned chick peas. The hummus isn't anywhere as good as that made with freshly cooked ones. I use my old pressure cooker to cook the peas - only takes about 20 minutes plus soaking time (over night).

Back
Top Bottom