Hummus Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PP, kosher salt is a coarser salt usually. Sea salt is like the iodized salt you have in your pantry, just without the iodine.

PP, kosher salt is a coarser salt usually. Sea salt is like the iodized salt you have in your pantry, just without the iodine.
Not necessary. I by iodized sea salt and it is just a bit corser (sp?) than regular table salt.

As far as the humus goes. I like more fresh garlic. I put it in first and give it a few pulse, then I add garbanzo beans. YOu can add different flavors as stated above, roasted pepper, rasted garlic, pine nuts, crushed fresh garlic, simply a little bit more oil sprincled on the top, paprica.
If you getting grainy result, all you have to do is process it longer untill you get the smooth finish you'd like.

I often add walnuts to my Hummus and some hot peppers (about 1/2 of serrano or smoked hot pepper). I have also topped with a "pool" of EVOO and smoked paprika. Now all you need is a recipe for homemade pita bread, and you're good to go <g>. I also start with the dried garbanzo beans.

You obviously know alot about cooking. Do you make you own Kalamata evoo or can it be purchased?
I definately have to try this roasted red pepper Hummus.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
Thank you, you are to kind, we grow our own olives and make oil in my wife's country Croatia, my best friend has 1000 trees in Kalamata, like us 90% of the crop is sold, the best 10% is pressed the old fashion way. The Kalamata is more peppery than the Croatian so I use it in hummus.
This site is run by a friend in the UK I by certain oils and balsamics from him, I use the Sicilian for example for certain strong salads.The site was started to take advantage of those foodies who like pretty bottles and names on view in their kitchens. I buy the oil in 5 litre tins off him for about 30% of the site price for cash, the balsamic I buy in bottles for about the same discount. Buy Olive Oil, Balsamic Vinegar, Pasta and Pasta Sauces Online from The Gift of Oil

Not necessary. I by iodized sea salt and it is just a bit corser (sp?) than regular table salt.

As far as the humus goes. I like more fresh garlic. I put it in first and give it a few pulse, then I add garbanzo beans. YOu can add different flavors as stated above, roasted pepper, rasted garlic, pine nuts, crushed fresh garlic, simply a little bit more oil sprincled on the top, paprica.
If you getting grainy result, all you have to do is process it longer untill you get the smooth finish you'd like.

Thanks for the tip on putting the fresh garlic first and I never added roasted garlic, I bet that is wonderful. I definately want to try pine nuts paprica. Did you ever use smoked paprica?

I think so. i have had some Izraely smoked hot paprika. Cannot tell for sertain if I used it on humus.

Thank you, you are to kind, we grow our own olives and make oil in my wife's country Croatia, my best friend has 1000 trees in Kalamata, like us 90% of the crop is sold, the best 10% is pressed the old fashion way. The Kalamata is more peppery than the Croatian so I use it in hummus.
This site is run by a friend in the UK I by certain oils and balsamics from him, I use the Sicilian for example for certain strong salads.The site was started to take advantage of those foodies who like pretty bottles and names on view in their kitchens. I buy the oil in 5 litre tins off him for about 30% of the site price for cash, the balsamic I buy in bottles for about the same discount. Buy Olive Oil, Balsamic Vinegar, Pasta and Pasta Sauces Online from The Gift of Oil

How great is that, not many can say they have 1000 olive trees and grow their own and make their own infused oils. I can't even imagine how wonderful your oil taste. Thanks for the Link, I will probably get lost on it for a couple of days.;)

I like to put cumin in my hummus or a little cayenne pepper. Some versions I made: Roasted red pepper/ parsley and green onion / sundried tomato
Liz

I have finally written my recipe down with measurements.

14 ounces of dried Garbanzo beans soaked for a few hours then cooked in the crock pot for 12 or so hours. Save some of the liquid.

Blend the garbanzo until almost smooth adding cooking liquid as needed.

Blend all of the following and mix into the beans.

1/4 cup tahini
1/4 cup reserved cooking liquid
Juice of 2 lemons
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1/2 Tablespoons sea salt
1/2 Tablespoons ground garlic

To really kick it up add more lemon and garlic. Also feel free to add cumin, roasted red peppers or anything else you would like.

This sounds great, going to the grocery story today so I plan on picking up some dried beans. I have only used canned, I am anxious to try your recipe. Thank you for your time and effort.;)

Hummus

Good Evening,

I am a new member and thought that my Mediterranean hummus would be welcomed:

1) chickpeas ( soak them overnight ), simmer until tender and then, peel the chickpeas which is an optional step for a creamier texture
2) cumin to taste
3) lemon juice
4) olive oil extra virgin, preferably Greek or Turkish if possible
5) minced fresh garlic to taste
6) smoked La Vera pimentón Piquant ( Spanish piquant paprika )
7) Tahine seasme paste

The final step: the paprika garnishes the hummus after the electric mixing with a sprinkle of fresh parlsey -- make a dent in the centre and then, sprinkle the paprika and the parsley

SERVE WITH: black kalamata olives and cherry tomatoes, and hot oven warm Pita bread for dipping. I would sip with a Greek Santorini White Wine ...

Margi. Cintrano.

Last edited:
Margi, that is the basic recipe I was taught by a Syrian chef. It is excellent!

If you have a food processor, pop off the skins of the chic peas. (also if grinding by hand) If you have a Vitamix, no need. It will take care of them just fine.

The cumin and the smoked paprika are great enhancers. As is a bit of dried mint.

Hi, I'm from a Syrian/Cuban family. This is how you can make your humus into something people will actually want to dip into!
1 can rinsed garbanzo beans or cooked fresh garbanzo beans
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons tahini (sesame seed paste)
3 tablespoons water
Juice of 1 large lemon
1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic or 3 fresh garlic cloves, mashed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
Fresh plump pita bread for dipping, cut into triangles

Begin by placing the tahini in a bowl and mixing it with the water until it becomes smooth and free of lumps. Then, place all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. Spoon onto plate and drizzle with more olive oil. Garnish with parsley. Serve with pita bread for dipping.

Enjoy!

Sandra

that's how..hummus

Hello Damien, I am Lebanese..hummus is my appetizer, and my dip..and my any sandwich complement, here is (the traditional Lebanese way {where hummus is created and originated} :
1 cup of chickpea washed and soaked for 12 hours or over night
3 tbs of tahhene {sessame paste} or to taste {taste the balance}
1 juice of lemon juice {medium size juicy lemon}, again depending on the lemon..more or less will apply
* bit of salt {to taste}
1 third of cup of chickpea boiling water/ saved
1 third of cup of extra virgin olive oil, the better the oil..the better the taste
1 tsp of {either dry red pepper or dry mint to sprinkle over}
1 to 2 clove of crushed garlic, fresh
it should be enough for four to six people.. as a dip..

HOW TO:
* drain the chickpea and boil on medium heat till tender *1 to 1.5 hour* approximately
* drain {leaving third cup for later}
* put in food processor and pulse till course
* add the boiling water from boiling the chickpea, salt, lemon juice, garlic, tahhenne,little of the olive oil and pulse again...till smooth but not entirely..
* keep tasting at all stages, as you go..{it should be little sour}.. and all ingredient should be in total balance... and your taste bud should love it
If you have any thing over power the other ,,,balance it by adjusting the lemon juice,,or the tahhene..or salt
* finish by applying some of the hummus to semi deep small dish, smooth it to a small hall so you can pour some of the olive oil in the middle and decorate with dry mint and olive
* you can use pita bread, deep fry it {after you cut it up to any pieces..or use it as is} and enjoy best hummus...
for more flavors..email me

Last edited:
Good Evening,

I am a new member and thought that my Mediterranean hummus would be welcomed:

1) chickpeas ( soak them overnight ), simmer until tender and then, peel the chickpeas which is an optional step for a creamier texture
2) cumin to taste
3) lemon juice
4) olive oil extra virgin, preferably Greek or Turkish if possible
5) minced fresh garlic to taste
6) smoked La Vera pimentón Piquant ( Spanish piquant paprika )
7) Tahine seasme paste

The final step: the paprika garnishes the hummus after the electric mixing with a sprinkle of fresh parlsey -- make a dent in the centre and then, sprinkle the paprika and the parsley

SERVE WITH: black kalamata olives and cherry tomatoes, and hot oven warm Pita bread for dipping. I would sip with a Greek Santorini White Wine ...

Margi. Cintrano.

Margi,

Can you direct me to where I can find Greek Olive Oil?

Hello Damien, I am Lebanese..hummus is my appetizer, and my dip..and my any sandwich complement, here is (the traditional Lebanese way {where hummus is created and originated} :
1 cup of chickpea washed and soaked for 12 hours or over night
3 tbs of tahhene {sessame paste} or to taste {taste the balance}
1 juice of lemon juice {medium size juicy lemon}, again depending on the lemon..more or less will apply
* bit of salt {to taste}
1 third of cup of chickpea boiling water/ saved
1 third of cup of extra virgin olive oil, the better the oil..the better the taste
1 tsp of {either dry red pepper or dry mint to sprinkle over}
1 to 2 clove of crushed garlic, fresh
it should be enough for four to six people.. as a dip..

HOW TO:
* drain the chickpea and boil on medium heat till tender *1 to 1.5 hour* approximately
* drain {leaving third cup for later}
* put in food processor and pulse till course
* add the boiling water from boiling the chickpea, salt, lemon juice, garlic, tahhenne,little of the olive oil and pulse again...till smooth but not entirely..
* keep tasting at all stages, as you go..{it should be little sour}.. and all ingredient should be in total balance... and your taste bud should love it
If you have any thing over power the other ,,,balance it by adjusting the lemon juice,,or the tahhene..or salt
* finish by applying some of the hummus to semi deep small dish, smooth it to a small hall so you can pour some of the olive oil in the middle and decorate with dry mint and olive
* you can use pita bread, deep fry it {after you cut it up to any pieces..or use it as is} and enjoy best hummus...
for more flavors..email me

Dear Food Lover,

I love, love, love Lebanese food of any kind. May I have your e-mail address for more flavors or recipes if you wish to share.:yum:

Dear Food Lover,

I love, love, love Lebanese food of any kind. May I have your e-mail address for more flavors or recipes if you wish to share.:yum:

If you click on Food lover's name is his/her post you are given the option to see their public profile. Clicking that you can see the "Contact" info and e-mail them from there. No need to have e-mail addresses on the forum pages.

Back
Top Bottom