"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 07-24-2009, 01:51 PM   #11
Head Chef

chorizo: the dried, Spanish type stuff, right? We have mostly the fresh, Mexican type around here. Or do you make it with either?

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:06 PM   #12
Master Chef

You can make it with either. In fact, you can really use any type of sausage that suits you. There are MANY different types of authentic paella - some don't have any seafood at all, just poultry & game. Some feature rabbit. Some feature different sausages. It's only here in the U.S. that when you say "paella" people automatically think of seafood.

I normally make mine with chicken or turkey chorizo, chicken, & a variety of seafood - squid, mussels, clams, shrimp, sometimes lobster. I also like to add sliced roasted red peppers, artichoke hearts, & green peas to the mix.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:16 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
You can make it with either. In fact, you can really use any type of sausage that suits you. There are MANY different types of authentic paella - some don't have any seafood at all, just poultry & game. Some feature rabbit. Some feature different sausages. It's only here in the U.S. that when you say "paella" people automatically think of seafood.

I normally make mine with chicken or turkey chorizo, chicken, & a variety of seafood - squid, mussels, clams, shrimp, sometimes lobster. I also like to add sliced roasted red peppers, artichoke hearts, & green peas to the mix.
The truly "authentic" Valencian Paella has no seafood in it. Rabbit was for the wealthy, chicken for the poor. The Valencian province was a big swamp. The earliest iterations included marsh rats and snails, because that's what the poor marsh fishermen could get.

(Youtube didn't like us publishing full feature length shows....)
TheMetalChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:18 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
chorizo: the dried, Spanish type stuff, right? We have mostly the fresh, Mexican type around here. Or do you make it with either?
I like the fresh stuff myself, because it really permeates the dish when you're working with ground chorizo out of the casing. If you like big chunks of chorizo, by all means, go Spanish.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:22 PM   #15
Head Chef

now I want some!!! What type of rice do y'all use?

Old 07-24-2009, 02:52 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
now I want some!!! What type of rice do y'all use?
Ideally, Granza. Arborio works well in a pinch.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:46 PM   #17
Head Chef

Important thing to remember about paella is that it was originally peasant-type food, that combined rice with whatever else happened to be on hand, as TheMetalChef suggests. So you really can't do it "wrong." I like the combo of flavors using chicken, chorizo and shrimp. Sometimes I add clams or mussels if I have them. Try to resist getting hung up on the authenticity - cook what you enjoy eating.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:49 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Made the paella today! I used dark meat chicken, chorizo and shrimp for my proteins. The shrimp went in at the very end.

Wow, saffron is GOOD! I can see why people like it so much! It really brought out the flavors and also added a little extra 'something.'

Ingredients - chorizo, chicken thighs and drums, shrimp, peas, rice, red pepper, green pepper, garlic, onion, tomatoes, saffron, water, salt and pepper.

Thanks a ton for the directions and help!
Old 07-27-2009, 05:58 PM   #19
Head Chef

what kind of chorizo did you use, fresh or dried?

Old 07-27-2009, 06:01 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Fresh chorizo

Tags
None