I am going to make Paella and I actually have saffron

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Made the paella today! I used dark meat chicken, chorizo and shrimp for my proteins. The shrimp went in at the very end.

Wow, saffron is GOOD! I can see why people like it so much! It really brought out the flavors and also added a little extra 'something.'

Ingredients - chorizo, chicken thighs and drums, shrimp, peas, rice, red pepper, green pepper, garlic, onion, tomatoes, saffron, water, salt and pepper.

Thanks a ton for the directions and help!

Did you attempt a socarrat?

My dad makes an excellent seafood paella, but the chicken and rabbit also sounds wonderful. When made correctly, the rice is so wonderfully flavored!!! It's such a great dish, especially if served in an authentic paella dish :)

My dad makes an excellent seafood paella, but the chicken and rabbit also sounds wonderful. When made correctly, the rice is so wonderfully flavored!!! It's such a great dish, especially if served in an authentic paella dish :)

One of these days, perhaps the next time I visit Spain, I'm going to hunt down some Marsh rats and find me some good Escargot and do a truly authentic (i.e. poor fisherman's rice dish) Paella. :chef:

Not sure if I'll get anyone other than me to eat it, but at least I'll be able to say I made it real deal historically correct Valencian Province style.... :ROFLMAO:

here's a version of paella I've learned from my grandma, been using it for my catering and apparently its good and cheap (well I think its cheap for something that has everything in it, carb, veggies and protein)

Paella

Ingredients:

2c long grain rice
1/2tsp saffron
1/4c green peas
1/2c chorizo
1c chicken cutlets
1c squid, cleaned and cut into rings
1c shrimp, whole with head
1c beef, sliced into thin strips
1c red and green bellpepper, strips
1/2c tomato sauce
2c chicken stock
1tsp paprika
1/2tsp cayenne powder
1tsp dried oregano
5pc bay leaf
1tbps tomato paste
1/2c onions, chopped
3tbps garlic, chopped
1/2c cooking oil

Procedure:

- heat oil in pan and saute onions, garlic, saffron and bay leaf.
- add chorizo, cook for about 1min and add chicken cutlets.
- brown chicken cutlets for a bit and then add peas, shrimp, beef strips and squid. Saute.
- add tomato paste and dissolve in mixture.
- add tomato sauce and toss mixture until well coated.
- add long grain rice and toss as well until rice is well spread with the mixture.
- then add oregano, paprika, and cayenne powder.
- add chicken stock then bring it to boil. Once boiling lower down the heat and simmer for 10mins
- after 10mins, top it with bellpepper and simmer again for 10 to 20 mins or until rice is cooked.
- serve hot.

Note: if you are using rice, it will cook faster or slower. Depends on what rice and how muc it absorbs water. You can reduce or add more liquid as needed. And you can add cleaned squid heads to give more color and texture.

Paella

Made Paella yesterday. What a fun dish to make. You can get as creative as you wish. I used Red bell peppers, yellow onions, scallion tops, garbanzos, chicken drumettes, lobster, white fish fillet chunks and a seafood paella mix I got at the super market (squid,shrimp, mussels, crab). A local store here in El Paso, TX carries an inexpensive mexican saffron(1 oz. for $1.50). Didn't have any sausage available or I would have added some to it also.

Back
Top Bottom