"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 03-29-2008, 09:48 AM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Our Indian next door neighbors invite us to their son's birthday parties. Big events, offsite and catered with Indian food. It's a great opportunity to sample different foods. I asked him once which dish the chutneys go on top of. His response was that they don't go on a dish, you eat them alone.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:51 AM   #12
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilby View Post
Also consider GB that some sides are there to take away heat from a dish, while others are there to provide the heat. As Shamalicious said, a curry doesn't usually require the extra heat, but may need the cooling ones, depending on your palate.
But this is exactly what I am asking. If it is there to provide or take away heat, how to do eat them? Do you mix them into what you are eating? Do you eat the hot curry and then follow it up with a spoonful of chutney? Do you do something completely different?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilby View Post
Another thing to try, is to actually order a dish, rather than buffet, and see how the restaurant serves it to you.
I have done this too and what they do is serve the food and then a bunch of small bowls on the side with chutneys and pickles and other things. There has been no clue about what to do with anything. I know I should probably ask the waiter, but I have never had the opportunity because I am usually there for a quick lunch along with a million other people and no one has the time unfortunately.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:52 AM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I asked him once which dish the chutneys go on top of. His response was that they don't go on a dish, you eat them alone.
Alone as in just with a fork or spoon?
Old 03-29-2008, 11:00 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
But this is exactly what I am asking. If it is there to provide or take away heat, how to do eat them? Do you mix them into what you are eating? Do you eat the hot curry and then follow it up with a spoonful of chutney? Do you do something completely different?

I have done this too and what they do is serve the food and then a bunch of small bowls on the side with chutneys and pickles and other things. There has been no clue about what to do with anything. I know I should probably ask the waiter, but I have never had the opportunity because I am usually there for a quick lunch along with a million other people and no one has the time unfortunately.
GB, I am more of a novice than you!! My knowledge is very limited and comes from books and friends. My Sikh friends provided most of the food that I tried, and I was encouraged to use naan (at least I think it was naan!), place some of the meat/veg dish in the naan and place one of the condiments on top and then take a bite of the lot. So no they weren't mixed in the dish, but they were in my mouth. I can't remember much more than that as i haven't seen her for about 20 years! It really varies with the dish I believe.

Have you had a look at Radhuni's site? Don't know but it might give some more info.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:09 AM   #15
Chief Eating Officer

That is exactly the type of info I was looking for. Thanks Bilby.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:14 AM   #16
Sous Chef

GB

I have a good buddy that works as a waiter and short order cook at an indian resteraunt. He told me the chutney was to cool the palate after eating a spicy main course, and he said that they are meant to be eaten separately. Thats about all I know, when my mouth starts shooting flames, I go for some chutney and that soothes it. The chutney in his resteraunt was coconut w/ veggies and fruit, pretty interesting flavor profile.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:18 AM   #17
Chief Eating Officer

Thanks BBQ Mikey. So it sounds like you just eat the chutney with just a spoon or fork and nothing else. I am finding this thread very helpful. Thanks everyone!
Old 03-29-2008, 11:19 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Sounds a bit like the Indian equivalent of pickled ginger.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:35 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Alone as in just with a fork or spoon?
No, alone as in no one else can be in the room!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 01:42 PM   #20
Chief Eating Officer

You are just jealous that you don't know what the inside of the woodshed looks like huh KE?

Tags
None