"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 01-10-2007, 07:22 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton

... English food ...
Now, when you said that Europian food was not really that sophisiticated (sp?) I wasn't going to argue, but let's be real, what they cook in Englad, should not really be called "food", Sorry English folks, but English food is just .....

Old 01-10-2007, 08:10 PM   #12
Executive Chef

been to England recently CharlieD? They did finally get over the war mentality and cuisine exists quite expertly in the UK. Oh just as America has Boston Market or Denny's, England has their own family slop houses too...every country does. But do not denegrade the country of fine roasts and fresh garden vegies, wonderous sweet and savory pies, cheeses and charcuterie of all types, glorious fish and breads of distinction. England has also benefited from the aspects of fusion which have taken the world of cooking. Making fun of English cooking is very much a thing of the past. (It was bad there for the same reasons it was bad here, only longer there because of the more severe aspects of the war and recovery.)

(I know you are being a little tongue in cheek, but still...let me treat you to a fine beefsteak and mushroom pie or roast of lamb with carrots, parsnips, turnips and potatoes. Glorious!)

Old 01-11-2007, 01:14 AM   #13
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD
Now, when you said that Europian food was not really that sophisiticated (sp?) I wasn't going to argue, but let's be real, what they cook in Englad, should not really be called "food", Sorry English folks, but English food is just .....
Just a wee bit of a misquote, there, Charlie!

Meanwhile, I have to agree with Robo that it sounds like your ideas of English food are out of date. I've been pretty impressed with the food on recent trips there. Mind you, that food also included classics I've always loved and always will. In my world, long live steak & kidney pudding!
Old 01-11-2007, 03:00 AM   #14
Executive Chef

I do like quite a few typical English dishes too. Traditional dishes like steak and kidney pie, shepherd pie and of course fish and chips.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:21 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410

(I know you are being a little tongue in cheek, but still...let me treat you to a fine beefsteak and mushroom pie or roast of lamb with carrots, parsnips, turnips and potatoes. Glorious!)
You are on, sounds great, especialy mushroom thing, when should I come over?
Old 01-11-2007, 01:33 PM   #16
Head Chef

Hey, I take exception to that Charlie! England suffered for a long time, many middle/working class kids of my parents generation, post war, were not taught to cook as the rations continued here for a long time after the war and a lot of food did suffer but to say that is as generic as saying that US food is MacDonalds, and I know that is not true. We have a triving food industry now, getting more exciting and back to real cuisine, both excellent British food and food influenced by other global cuisine, and many critics say that the top English restaurants cannot be surpassed anywhere in the world, I think you were a bit harsh.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:20 PM   #17
Master Chef

Lulu, dear, I will take any and all kind of beating for the bad joke I've made, and except responsibility for it, and might even be forced to apologies. But, please, please, do not tell me about rations after the war when Millions, yes millions of Russians (and/or everybody else in Soviet Union) were dying from starvation after the war, and rationing never stopped, not until the brake up of the Soviet Union. My aunt and my mother seen their cousins dye in front of their eyes from malnourishment (sp?) and yet they are excellent chefs. Cooking variety of foods, Russian, Ukrainian, Jewish, Uzbek, Georgian, Moldavian etc, I was not harsh at all, it was a stupid joke, offensive, but stupid and I did not mean any harm. But I am being harsh right now. Don't ever tell a Russian, that you've lived the rations is the reason people do not know how to cook, you have no idea how bad rations could be and what they can do to you. G-d willing you should never know.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:21 PM   #18
Master Chef

Now having said that, I have to admit top British anything cannot be surpassed. Well Germans might come close.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:16 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Where can I find recipes here in the forum?
Old 01-12-2007, 07:19 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

I've never tried any English dish, but I'll bet it's better that any American dish. I live in Los Angeles so I know what I'm talkin about.

Tags
None