"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery
Old 01-05-2007, 07:00 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Question I need help finding European recipes!

I am not a very good cook , my boyfriend is from Romania, I am from Guatemala, so it's very different in cooking terms, I've learn that in Europe food is much more sophisticated, which is very good, the problem is I can't seem to find very good recipes, so I need help from any of you, if you can give me ideas, share recipes, or tell me where I can find online good recipes from throughout Europe, it would be very good for me. So please anyone there could help me in this? Thanks!

karlagonzalezgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 08:36 PM   #2
Master Chef
Welcome to DC Karla!

Probably the easiest way to get started is to go to Google (Google) and do a search on the type of cuisine your looking for like French, German, Polish, Italian, Greek, etc., followed by the word "recipes".

Since your boyfriend is from Romania - here are the results from a Google search on Romanian recipes.

Hope this helps get you started!

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 12:51 AM   #3
Sous Chef
Well ... that comment about European food being more sophisticated is sure to be a popular one here!!

Besides, it isn't, more sophisticated that is. Or at least not necessarily so, and anyways, as compared to what? There's so-called "sophisticated" food over here and there's so-called "peasant" food over here. Personally, even though I'm not a peasant, I'll eat peasant food any day!

Also, English food and Greek food (for example) are very different, and yet they're both European cuisines. That has to do with the seasons in each country and what's naturally grown or raised there. You can get ahold of recipes from any part of the world very easily on the Internet as Michael's suggested above, but IMHO, you'd be best to stick with recipes from a country that has a similar climate to wherever you're living so that the basic ingredients can be bought fresh and full of flavor.

Just a thought!
XeniA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 03:49 AM   #4
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
"sophisticated" is a very loose description. There are many, many popular Italian dishes that are much more rustic and simple than a lot of people abroad would think. Also as Ayrton pointed out, "european cuisine" is also a loose description, there are many different countries and cultures mixed in all over Europe, for example Scandinavian cuisine from the north and the mediterranean cuisine in the south are definitely based from different backgrounds. As for Romanian cuisine, try starting a search with the google list Michael provided. for other European cuisine, there are members from Greece (like Ayrton), Italy (myself, and a few others), Germany, Switzerland, Spain and Great Britain here in the forum, we are all happy to help you out with what we know!
urmaniac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 03:55 AM   #5
Head Chef
Karla, think I would ask bf what sort of dishes he would like. Then go about finding recipes for those.

There are plenty of folks here to help you.

Take care and welcome to DC.
auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 01:08 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Welcome to DC. Lots of ideas and recipes here to look at. Just do a search and you'll be sure to find some your boyfriend will like.
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 05:13 PM   #7
Executive Chef
Karla, before you start googling, you should try searching for recipes from some of the European countries posted here.
The proof of the pudding is in the eating!
boufa06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:45 AM   #8
Master Chef
Hi Karla,

if you need something from Germany, just ask me or the forum's search, as there are already lots of recipes here ;o)
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 07:11 PM   #9
Assistant Cook
Thank you!

I would like to thank you for your advices and time.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:20 PM   #10
Assistant Cook
If you have time to send me a couple of recipes(German,or anywhere from Europe), I would be very thankful. You know my boyfriend's father is actually from Germany. Thank you.