I need some Taco Salad recipes.... ASAP!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AmyChelle

Assistant Cook
I know a lady who makes this AWESOME taco salad. It's meatless, and it's layered. I believe for one layer she takes sour cream and taco seasoning and mixes them together (which makes a tasty dip, too). But, I don't remember what else she does-other than the lettuce, tomatoes, olives,onions , and cheese of course. Does it call for refried beans? And what order does the stuff get layered in?

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I'd love help if you have some to give!

She has moved to TN. I don't know how to contact her except through her DIL. I've sent her a message on facebook, but I don't know if she'll get the message in time or not to get back to me soon enough.

So, to cover myself, I'm trying you all to see what I can come up with! many thanks!;)

You'll never believe this my friend but we're having taco salad for dinner tonight.I just do mine in tortilla bowls with chili,grated cheesechopped tomatoes,green onions,lettuce,black olives on top and sometimes a little corn as well. You can always layer the lettuce and tomato like this recipe did.(I hope I'm not violating any copyright rules.This is from Cooks.com

SEVEN LAYER TACO SALAD DIP Make this dip in layers in a salad bowl or deep baking dish - clear is best. 1 tbsp. +/- lemon juice 1/2 tbsp. tomato pulp 1 can refried beans 1 lg. onion 1-2 tomatoes 1 jar mild/medium salsa or picante sauce 1 (16 oz.) sour cream 2 (8 oz.) pkg. shredded mozzarella cheese Black olives, pitted & finely chopped1st Layer: Peel avocados and remove pit. Mash with lemon juice and tomato pulp.
2nd Layer: Fry refried beans and spread on avocado.
3rd Layer: Chop onion.
4th Layer: Diced tomatoes.
5th Layer: Salsa.
6th Layer: Dollop sour cream and spread carefully over salsa.
7th Layer: Shake mozzarella cheese over top and cover with olives.
This can be served immediately but tastes better chilled. Serve with corn chips/Doritos.

Mine is as follows:

First layer: 2 cans Refried beans
2nd layer: 1 - 16 ounce sour cream with one package taco seasoning mix (chilled a couple hours before layering)
3rd layer: Mashed avacado or avacado dip
4th layer: Chopped olives
5th layer: Chopped tomatoes or canned diced tomatoes
6th layer: Chopped green onions
7th layer: Shredded cheddar cheese

I use my 9 x 12 pyrex dish to make this but I always end up with more than I need. This weekend I'm going to do it in the smaller pyrex and probably leave out the avacodo because my daughter won't eat avacado and then possible try using store bought Pico de Gallo instead of tomatoes. She hates tomatoes but loves Pico. It makes no sense to me, but if it gets her to eat it, I'll be happy.

It's very good. Serve with Fritos or regular tortilla chips.

This sorta is and sorta isn't a taco salad, but really is good! The recipe came from my good friend, Christy.

Christy's Mexican Bean Dip

1 16 oz can refried beans
1 8 oz jar taco sauce
1 lb. ground beef
1 chopped tomato
1 small onion, chopped
1 cup (4 oz) grated cheddar cheese
1 cup sour cream
1 tbl chives
1 cup shredded lettuce
tortilla chips
sliced black or green olives (opt)

Mix beans and 2 tbls taco sauce in med. Size bowl. Spread evenly in 2 quart baking dish. Lightly brown beef and drain. Return to skillet with onion, salt and ¼ cup taco sauce. Cook until heated. Adjust seasoning. You may want to ad some hot sauce. Pour mixture over beans, add remaining taco sauce, and sprinkle with grated cheddar cheese. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes. Mix sour cream with chives and spread over cheese. Garnish with lettuce, chopped tomatoes and slices olives. Serve warm over chips.

Note: I usually skip the taco sauce and add a packet of dry taco seasoning and a can of regular tomato sauce to the meat. Whatever you have will work.

Now, if you want a Taco Salad, like actual salad, I have a recipe for that too.

¨[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]1 pound of ground beef
¨[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]1 packet taco mix
¨[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]1 bag shredded lettuce
¨[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]1-2 cans mixed beans
¨[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]1 bag shredded cheddar cheese
¨[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]3 tomatoes – cut into small squares
¨[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Green onions
¨[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]French Dressing
¨[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Fritos

Make taco filling per directions on packet, and cool. After meat is cooled, open and rinse beans. Empty lettuce into bowl, add ground beef mix, beans, tomatoes, green onions, cheese, and dressing. Serve and top with Fritos.

Callisto, I've fixed that, and it was good, but I'd lost the recipe. Many thanks!

I remember DH made deep-fried tortilla bowls for it a couple of times. That was good. Just eat bowl and all!

By the way, the trick to tortilla bowls is to get a deep-fryer nice and hot (about 350-375), grab a ladle and slide a 10" tortilla into the hot grease. (We used flour, but I think corn would work also.)
Quickly place the ladle in the middle of the tortilla and push it down into the hot grease. Once it's nice and crisp (it will only take a minute or so), remove it from the grease and drain upside down on a layer of paper towels.

Smaller ones make great individual cups for guacamole.

Constance, glad I could help you and you have helped me. I love the tortilla bowl idea and I just got a deep fryer. Thanks.

I got my recipe from my mother and now her granddaughter makes it. DD even did a presentation at school using the recipe so I'm glad I could pass it on to her and anyone else. Hope you, Constance, make it and enjoy it too.

Layered Mexican Bean Dip

The recipe I use is very similiar to Callisto's.

Layered Mexican Bean Dip

1 cup sour cream
½ cup mayonnaise
1 package taco seasoning
16 oz. can refried beans
1 16 oz. container guacamole or make your own
2 bunches green onions, sliced
2-4 oz. cans diced green chilies
1-7 oz. can sliced black olives
3 medium tomatoes
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Combine together sour cream, mayonnaise, and taco seasoning. Spread bottom of 9x9 or 13x9 inch pan with refried beans. Then layer the following ingredients: taco seasoning mixture, guacamole, green onions, green chilies, olives, tomatoes, and cheese. Chill. Serve with tortilla chips.

Back
Top Bottom