"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 06-14-2006, 11:44 PM   #21
Master Chef

Ishbel - here is the "other" history of the origin of the name of this dish ... as best as I can remember it.

The Imam was a very wealthy man, the majority of his wealth was in his vast stores of olive oil. He married and his new bride made this dish for him ... and he loved it so much he asked her to make it for him every night. After several days he came home one night and she had not prepared it for him. When he asked her why she said it was because she was out of olive oil. He "swooned/fainted" because she had used up all his olive oil and he was thus bankrupt!

Regardless of the "history" - I love this dish!!!

Old 06-14-2006, 11:48 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoop Puss
Hello pdswife. From the look of the flag you use, you must have what you consider to be an authentically Greek version! How do you cook it?

Not sure it's really Greek or not but, this is the recipe my Greek MIL gave me.
It's good!

3 or 4 eggplants ( The tiny Japanese kind work really well.)
1 pound diced onion ( I like the sweet onions)
olive oil
Chopped fresh parsley to taste
2-3 (or more if you like) chopped garlic cloves
salt and pepper to taste
1.5 cups chopped tomatoes

Wash eggplants, chop off the stems.
Make two or three long slits in each... be careful not to cut all the way through.
Soak them in salted water for 30 minutes, remove and squeeze to remove water.
Fry the onions and the garlic in some olive oil until they are soft but not brown add parsley, salt and pepper.
Mix in the onions.
Then take the mixture and fill the slits of the eggplant.
Arrange in a baking pan and cover with more of the tomato.

Bake at 350 for an hour or until eggplant are soft.
( I like to sprinkle some Parm. cheese on right before removing from
the oven.)

Enjoy.

Old 06-15-2006, 12:11 AM   #23
Head Chef

Interesting about the slits, pdswife. The recipe I use says not to cut the aubergines right through, but they nearly always split in the pan when I'm trying to fry them evenly. So I've just given up and cut right through anyway. Your version will use a lot less oil than mine so next time I make it, I'll give your recipe a go.
Thanks.
Old 06-17-2006, 03:25 PM   #24
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD
The stole it from Russians.
Well, having a degree in Russian studies, having lived in Russia, and being married to a man from Turkey... I'd say that you're full of it.

It uses olive oil... not a fat they use traditionally in Russia, where lard or vegetable oil are preferred.

The Greeks might claim it... the Italians, Maltese, Tunisians, the French, even. But the Russians can't, for sure.

Nevertheless... it's delicious and a staple in our house. Thank the Imam!
Old 06-17-2006, 06:34 PM   #25
Executive Chef

I thnk CharlieD is trotting out the 'party line' from the 'old' USSR!!!! I don't think he was serious
Old 06-17-2006, 10:16 PM   #26
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel
I thnk CharlieD is trotting out the 'party line' from the 'old' USSR!!!! I don't think he was serious
Oh.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:05 AM   #27
Master Chef

Thank you Ishbel, of course you are right.

Velochic, I don't think you got good greats in Russian studies. Sorry, but I feel bad for you and your expirience in Russia. When were you there? Where did you live? What id you eat? When considering Russia you really have to consider the foods from the whole Soviet Union. From the whole Russian empire. And what is available in store is really not up to psr to what is in culinary history of that country. ;)
Old 06-18-2006, 09:24 AM   #28
Sous Chef

My "greats" were fine. So were my grades. I lived there during the 90's in Moscow. I pretty much ate what everyone else did... whatever was available at the rynok... rarely bought anything at the western groceries, except for skim milk, which I bought at the Swiss grocery store. I'm sorry you feel bad for me. I feel bad for you. I was taught russian cooking at the elbow of a wonderful russian neighbor who got all of her recipes from her own babushka.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:46 AM   #29
Head Chef

Come on then, CharlieD. Give us your Russian version of this dish and let's have done with the wind-ups. As Velochic's motto says, life's too short.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:23 PM   #30
Master Chef

Another good twist on this great dish is to pierce the eggplant/aubergine (I honor all cultures!) several times, then put on your grill until the skin is slightly blackened. I do this when I'm grilling something else for dinner, then just put the eggplant in the fridge and peel when I have time. Mash, and follow through with any of the recipes. The little bit of smoky flavor is very complimentary and gives you something to make another day. As there are only two of us, when we put coals on the barbie, I cook for several meals. Serve with flatbread and have hummus on hand as well. Sit on the floor and pass the arak ... uh ... ouzo ... uh ... vodka ... uh ... mint tea.

Hey, if you don't like eggplant being called aubergine, how do you feel about courgettes? Food is the great bridge between cultures!!

Tags
None