"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 06-14-2006, 09:02 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Imam Biyaldi

This is a Turkish recipe and is supposed to be called (The Priest swooned!) by this name because the Imam swooned with pleasure when served this dish! Nice story, but I doubt if it is true A very similar dish is claimed as being Greek or Lebanese, too..... Seems like lots of nationalities had the same good idea!

Imam Biyaldi

Old 06-14-2006, 09:11 AM   #2
Head Chef

I love Imam Bayaldi.

Old 06-14-2006, 09:38 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Me too! I always make enough for 3 meals at a time. One hot, one cold and one as a side dish!
Old 06-14-2006, 10:05 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
True, there are so many recipes from the mediterranean area that can be equally Greek, Lebanese, Turkish etc. etc., like Baklava, Hummus, Kabobs etc. etc... they share the very similar climate and the natural environment,
also many cultural infusions from one to the other (despite the notorious feud between Greeks and Turks...) so I guess it is inevitable that you see almost identical recipes from these countries...

This one sounds really delicious... aubergenes are starting to be readily available at very low prices this season, and I am always open to a new variety to prepare one of my favourite summer vegetables, I will surely take note of this recipe...thanks Ishbel!!
Old 06-14-2006, 10:21 AM   #5
Master Chef

Hm, I had to look up what the auberrrrrr.......... whatever, actually is. Never heard egg plant called that before. Live and learn.
I have to say though if it was not for cumin seeds that would have been recipe of my grandma, and she definitely had no knowledge of Mediterranean cuisine.
So, let's rename the topic. Because the "imam" made me think of some political topic to be discussed.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:44 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Charlie - half the world calls it aubergine.... No, I can't rename it, I didn't give the dish its name, the Turkish people did! C'mon be a little broadminded here....
Old 06-14-2006, 10:53 AM   #7
Master Chef

The stole it from Russians.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:05 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Hahahaaa - I don't THINK SO....
Old 06-14-2006, 11:28 AM   #9
Head Chef

The recipe I use for Imam Bayaldi is a little different.

Cut four slim aubergines from top to bottom to make eight halves (around 750g/1.5lbs in total). Pat dry and shallow fry in olive oil on the flesh and the skin side. When cooked (they don't need to be fully soft as you'll be baking them in the oven later) place side by side in an ovenproof dish with the cut side facing upwards. If they're slightly squashed up so the aubergine pieces don't lie flat but form a valley between two halves, all the better when it comes to piling in the stuffing.

While the aubergines are frying, make a very onion-rich tomato sauce by sautéing 500g/1lb roughly chopped onions until slightly golden and soft. Add three to four cloves of garlic, crushed or sliced as you prefer (I prefer crushed). Leave to fry a moment longer then add 500g/1lb fresh, very ripe tomatoes or a 396g/14oz can of tomatos and a teaspoon each of oregano and thyme or 2 tsps of herbes de provence and a teaspoon of sugar. If you use fresh tomatoes, you might want to peel them or need to add a little water if they're not very juicy. Cook gently for 15 mins or so.

Pile the sauce onto the aubergines and bake at 350ºF/180ºC for half an hour or so depending on the softness of the aubergines after frying. Baste at least once by drizzling with olive oil or with the sauce itself.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:28 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
One of my favorites. Thank you.

Tags
None