Indian Cuisine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, I know that. But county names and various boundaries have been manipulated in the recent past. I was trying to keep it simple and make the point.

We ss ex is still what it allways was, an identifiable geographical area constituting the ancient realm of the West Saxons.

Just like South Saxons, Midddle Saxons and East Saxons.

Whoops, sorry..... I thought your county was a bit like Bristol no longer being Somerset, but in the 'made-up' county of Avon!

Didn't mean to wipe you off the map. Put it down to Scottish ignorance!

Thank you for the explanation Darkstream! I must say, all of this nookie banter is quite exciting;)

no worries, Ishbel, :) and you would think I could spell the darn place correctly, it's Westmorland, well it is at the top of the newspaper I'm reading. I think most (if not all) the old counties still exist, for some gerrymandering reason, but who really cares:p . The pub across the road still thinks we're in Lancashire!!! they are flying the red rose as I speak.

respect to the Scots, it's the Welsh I have problems with, :oops:
cheers
Wazza

The only thing the Welsh have done that annoys me is that all their place names are spelled with about 32 consonants and only 2 or 3 vowels.

Other than that, I am sure they are fine people. After all, they did share Richard Burton with the rest of us.

I know what you mean, Mudbug, but you'd have to go some way to beat their town called

LLANFAIRPWLLGWYNGYLLGOGERYCHWYRNDROBWLLLLANTYSILIOGOGOGOCH which is supposed to mean (have to take their word for it as I don't read Welsh!) "St. Mary's Church in the hollow of the white hazel near to the rapid whirlpool of Llantysilio of the red cave" or "St. Mary's (Church) by the white aspen over the whirlpool, and St. Tysilio's (Church) by the red cave" in Welsh.

However, I recall reading that the the 'real', and official, name of the place is Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, which is how it appears on maps and road signs. It's also referred to as Llanfair PG!

And who could blame anyone for shortening the name?!

Darkstream mentions the book Indian Cookery by Dharamjit Singh. In his book Mr .Singh
mentions an"aromatic scale" between "pungency and fragrance". I am interested in this idea - perhaps to construct an aromatic wheel similiar to a colour wheel. Does anyone know of further reading on the subject or have any ideas of their own?

bons appetit

Back
Top Bottom