"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 07-04-2008, 01:44 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to stinemates Send a message via MSN to stinemates Send a message via Yahoo to stinemates Send a message via Skype™ to stinemates
Indian Food

Pretty sure I can eat indian food every day. It's amazing. Until recently, I always took Indian food for takeout. I've never been successful at cooking Chinese food, especially anything fried, so I've always been very hesitant to give Indian food a try.

I was wrong! With the help of some websites which I'll mention below, they've made life incredibly easy.

Last night I made and Chapatti. They tasted SO Amazing. I'm going to be making Butter Chicken this weekend.

Anyone else out there really in to Indian food?

Old 07-04-2008, 01:51 PM   #2
Master Chef

I love Indian food but have not thought much about cooking it at home. Now the butter chicken... I LOVE THAT... just give me that and some naan (sp?) and I'm good to go!!!

Old 07-04-2008, 04:03 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

I cook it at home. It's not all that difficult. You should give it a try.
Old 07-04-2008, 05:02 PM   #4
Head Chef

I just remember when I first got into cooking Indian food, I must have spent about $80 in Indian spices. Now it appears Im set for life. Many of the recipes Ive tried require small amounts of many spices. Some are relatively common. Others, require a little more effort to find,like in an Indian/ Asian store. But, it is definitely unlike any other food type Ive tried to cook, and so many different variations and flavors to play with. I love it.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:39 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to stinemates Send a message via MSN to stinemates Send a message via Yahoo to stinemates Send a message via Skype™ to stinemates
I'm headed to the Asian store today to stock up on more spices. Cooking Butter Chicken today and some sweet rice. :)
Old 07-05-2008, 05:25 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
I adore Indian food, always have. I enjoy experimenting with different recipes and inventing some original concoctions inspired from the Indian dishes I have had. I have improved myself a lot and come a long way over the years, but still, my dishes are missing "something" compared to the foods prepared by Indian chefs. I really want to get to the core of it one day.

There are a group of Indian people living two flights down from our flat, everyday wonderful aroma wafts over from their kitchen and tease us and make our mouthes water. We are seriously thinking about striking up some friendship with them and taking a lesson or two from them

I hope you will encounter Yakuta on this board soon, she is an expert and helped me a lot, too!
Old 07-05-2008, 06:31 PM   #7
Head Chef

I make some Indian dishes at home, buer chicken and also a spicy chicken curry with mango and peas - love good Indian!
Old 07-05-2008, 07:31 PM   #8
Master Chef

Ok dude.... I'm doing butter chicken tonight and naan.... if it sucks, I'm blaming you!!!! LOL!!! No really, you inspired me... my house has never smelled soooo good!!! I'll let you know how it goes!
Old 07-05-2008, 07:33 PM   #9
Master Chef

Love Indian food, one of the few things I like about Chicago are all the ethnic grocery stores. It makes buying the ingredients and making it at home that much easier, without the higher cost of the supermarkets ethnic isles!
Old 07-06-2008, 12:14 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie View Post
Ok dude.... I'm doing butter chicken tonight and naan.... if it sucks, I'm blaming you!!!! LOL!!! No really, you inspired me... my house has never smelled soooo good!!! I'll let you know how it goes!
How did it turn out?

For me, I could taste the delicious Indian flavor I was expecting wayyyy in the background. I had to think REALLY hard to taste it. I missed a few spices I could not find, that's probably where I failed.

My texture was a little offputting as well. I could have done the blending step a little longer, and maybe strained it afterward. I'm going to try that out next time, running it through a sieve before I finish.

One thing he doesn't mention in that recipe is how much water to use. I found 1/4 cup wasn't enough. I had to add some. Next time I'll go with 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup.

Tags
None