Indian food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdq

Assistant Cook
Hi,

Does anyone have recipe (not cumin based) for Indian yogurt raita condiment that has a pleasant but more "sour" flavor that I seem to be missing.
Is there a herb that subtly intensifies the agreeable "sour" taste I am missing?
also, the mango lassi recipes I find are also missing this subtly sour taste...
anyone?

Hi,

Does anyone have recipe (not cumin based) for Indian yogurt raita condiment that has a pleasant but more "sour" flavor that I seem to be missing.
Is there a herb that subtly intensifies the agreeable "sour" taste I am missing?
anyone?

A lot can depend on the yogurt. Yogurt can be tart or tend to sweeter flavor.

A lot can depend on the yogurt. Yogurt can be tart or tend to sweeter flavor.

I agree with Andy M. I find some yoghurts much more tart than others. I usually buy the Greek or Greek style ones - but that is in the U.K., don't know what they would be like in the U.S.A.

Ground sumac has a slightly (according to this blurb) tart, sour, lemony taste.Sumac - Greek Spices - Sumaki - Buying and Cooking Guide so maybe you could try that?

It could be the yogurt, but then again it could be something else. I'm wondering why you say "not cumin based". There are hundreds of variations of raita, but most of them contain small amounts of cumin or mustard seed, which definitely adds a sour/bitter component.

Make your own yogurt - it is tarter than commercial yogurt, even the "organic" stuff. Commercial yogurt often has a bitter or sour taste that I do not prefer.

I use the Greek style yoghurt as well because I prefer the extra creaminess of it, however, you could mix in a little tamarind paste that will give you the 'Tartness' you are after but it may change the colour a bit. Or, add a little pinch of salt to your yoghurt

Reactions: mdq
To each their own - but I wouldn't add tamarind paste to a raita.

Grocery store yogurt has a bitter aftertaste or some extra strong sour notes (as opposed to tart) that this wouldn't help with. For raita, I prefer a home made yogurt because you get a kind of sweet-tart product that I have never seen duplicated in any commercial product. Maybe I just buy cheap yogurt though, LOL!

But whatever works for you is what you should do. Not every body tastes things the same way.

This suggestion is not from experience -- I haven't used this herb -- but you might try Googling "sorrel." It is said to lend a tang or tartness.

Of topic: sorrel is a relative of spinach and in fact is sour. I like sorrel soup, but if I cannot get it, I use spinach with the addition of lemon juice.

Raita can be some yogurt with grated fresh cucumber and garlic/salt / pepper. Or just dill chopped and yogurt or cilantro and yogurt.
I have even just served plain ( Greek) yogurt on the side.

Home made yogurt is better for preparing raita. In india we usually don't add garlic in raita, it will destroy the 'sattwik' taste. We add cumin powder, dhania powder, black salt and sometime fenugreek powder.

Home made yogurt is better for preparing raita. In india we usually don't add garlic in raita, it will destroy the 'sattwik' taste. We add cumin powder, dhania powder, black salt and sometime fenugreek powder.

How do you make your home made yogurt? I tried making it and it tasted good but I like it thicker. I drained it, but it still didn't get as thick as I like it. I buy plain greek yogurt and love the thickness. Sometimes I drain it to make it even thicker.

This may sound crazy but have you tried talking gently to your yogurt as it is being made, giving loving and encouraging support?
I talk nice to all my foods that I'm making to encourage good behavior.

This may sound crazy but have you tried talking gently to your yogurt as it is being made, giving loving and encouraging support?
I talk nice to all my foods that I'm making to encourage good behavior.

No, I have not tried that. I'm learning so many interesting techniques on this site!

Hi,

anyone?
Lemon juice?

Home made and purchased yogurts can have variations in tartness. Consider another recipe or another brand.

Back
Top Bottom