"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-27-2006, 11:56 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kitchenelf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 19,725
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Aren't large, fresh curds what you get when you separate the whey when making cheese????? You can then take these curds and place in boiling water and squish with the proper gloves on - voila - you have made mozzarella cheese. From there you can roll out and cover with pest, prosciutto, sundried tomatoes, roll up jelly roll fashion and slice. Isn't this the curds referenced to?
__________________

__________________
kitchenelf

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:19 AM   #12
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 863
Reply to Jazz

Thanks Jazz

I love Indian food.
Unfortunately, the link u gave wont work,at the moment. I will get back to it, later.

Mel
__________________

__________________
Mel! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:44 AM   #13
Contest Winner
 
grumblebee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: canada
Posts: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
Aren't large, fresh curds what you get when you separate the whey when making cheese????? You can then take these curds and place in boiling water and squish with the proper gloves on - voila - you have made mozzarella cheese. From there you can roll out and cover with pest, prosciutto, sundried tomatoes, roll up jelly roll fashion and slice. Isn't this the curds referenced to?
Yeah, that's what I thought... that's why I was thinking the east indian equivelent would be paneer.
__________________
~passionate pescetarian~
grumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:00 AM   #14
Master Chef
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston
Posts: 9,253
Wondering why yogurt is called "curd" when it isn't curdled. Don't you add lemon juice or vinegar to make it curdle and create it yogurt cheese?

In the US "curds" are a rubbery fresh cheese.
__________________
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:20 AM   #15
Head Chef
 
Yakuta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,208
Jennyema the reason it's called curds in India is because yogurt has solids and liquids. The solid portions are called curds and the liquid is whey. In most Indian preparations the solid portions are heavily used ( so you drain our the whey) given the yogurt there is not as thick as say what a middle eastern or greek yogurt looks like.

When you cook with yogurt you lose a lot of volume (as it cooks it converts back into watery liquid) so the thicker the better especially for preparations such as biryani or any other full bodied curry or marinades.
__________________
Yakuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:21 AM   #16
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 863
Hello

I still cant get onto that website for the byriani receipe.
Would somebody copy and paste it here.

Mel
__________________
Mel! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:24 AM   #17
Master Chef
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston
Posts: 9,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel!
Hello

I still cant get onto that website for the byriani receipe.
Would somebody copy and paste it here.

Mel
This recipe cannot be copied and pasted here because it is copyrighted.

This the reminder that was added to the link: "Please refrain from posting copyrighted recipes. Please see our Copyright Policies in the Community Forum and Announcements."

I think the link works now.
__________________
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:27 AM   #18
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 863
Thanks for the info Jennyema!

Mel
__________________
Mel! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:28 AM   #19
Master Chef
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston
Posts: 9,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuta
Jennyema the reason it's called curds in India is because yogurt has solids and liquids. The solid portions are called curds and the liquid is whey. In most Indian preparations the solid portions are heavily used ( so you drain our the whey) given the yogurt there is not as thick as say what a middle eastern or greek yogurt looks like.

When you cook with yogurt you lose a lot of volume (as it cooks it converts back into watery liquid) so the thicker the better especially for preparations such as biryani or any other full bodied curry or marinades.
Yakuta,

Thanks. So the yogurt is drained but not "curdled" (as we in the states know it) by adding acid. Because that would make paneer, right? In this case the yogurt is an ingredient in the sauce, and not a "chunky" ingredient?
__________________
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:34 AM   #20
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 863
Wow Kitchenelf
I knew how to make the curds, but the rest of it...
I am certainly putting this in my cookery notes.

Mel
__________________

__________________
Mel! is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.