"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 01-23-2010, 10:32 AM   #1
Head Chef

Instant Masa Corn Tortillas

I got some instant masa from the store. All they had was the instant kind. When following the recipe on the package for corn tortillas I mixed up the water and the masa and got a cream of wheat like consistency. What else do I need to do? Or do I need to go back to a different store and get some regular masa for tortillas?

Old 01-23-2010, 10:51 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Without know the contents of the mix, it's hard to say. The easiest might be, in my opinion only, to get some masa harina and add that a little at a time until it's the right consistency. Covered, your "cream-of-wheat-like" mixture should keep while refrigerated for a day or so. If masa harina isn't available, you could risk using corn flour in its place, but there would be no guarantee.

Your instant mix should already have enough wheat gluten.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:23 AM   #3
Head Chef

Well as it turns out, patience was the key ingredient! I just added more of the instant masa until the dough didn't stick to my fingers, then patted them out and dry fried them. I think it would better in a CI skillet, but I don't have one of those. Even so, I've got a batch of hand made corn tortillas awaiting some beans and rice later!
Old 01-23-2010, 11:27 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagriller View Post
Well as it turns out, patience was the key ingredient! I just added more of the instant masa until the dough didn't stick to my fingers, then patted them out and dry fried them. I think it would better in a CI skillet, but I don't have one of those. Even so, I've got a batch of hand made corn tortillas awaiting some beans and rice later!
Old 01-23-2010, 02:39 PM   #5
Head Chef

Wife came home and we fed the kids some of the tortillas with rice and beans. Then I heated some vegetable oil, cut a tortilla in wedges and fried up some chips. Needless to say that batch of tortillas is gone! I might have to make another batch tonight to dust with cinnamon and sugar and drizzle with honey.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:56 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Sounds good and reasonably easy. Have you made corn tortillas before, not using a mix? If so, how do they compare?
Old 01-25-2010, 06:11 AM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Sounds good and reasonably easy. Have you made corn tortillas before, not using a mix? If so, how do they compare?
No, never made them before.

Tags
None