"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 04-30-2010, 02:43 PM   #1
Flour Child

Irish Cuisine...What IS This?

Bangers? Black & White Pudding? Brown Break? Bowl Bread? Guinness Cake? Harp Batter Fried Cod? Field Greens...what kind of greens do you eat from a field...4-LeafClovers ? What in the world is this stuff?

I just found a menu in our local magazine for the Hibernian Restaurant & Pub. I've lived here 10 years and never went because the word "Hibernian" puzzled me but my interest is peaked now after reading their menu because it all sounds delicious...well, maybe not the cake ...i know Guinness is beer but I'm clueless what this other "stuff" is:

Appetizer:
Smoked Salmon served with Brown Break, Herbed Cream Cheese, Field Greens, Capers, Onion and Cucumber

Breakfast:
2 Bangers, 2 Irish Bacon, Black&White Pudding, Fried Mushrooms, Roasted Tomatoes, and 2 Fried Eggs served with Irish Bowl Bread

Entree:
Fresh Cod Filets coated in World Famous Harp Batter

2 Entrees I understand:
-Corned Beef and Cabbage topped with Creamy Parsley Sauce, green cabbage & buttermilk chive mashed potatoes
-Irish Stew made with diced beef, onions, turnips, carrots, parsnips and potatoes cooked in a white gravy and served with Irish Brown bread

Dessert:
Chocolate Guinness Cake (i know that's beer but...in cake???)

Would you believe I'm part Irish?
...I think my Mother's lying to me

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 03:05 PM   #2
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Ok.. I'll take a stab...

Brown Break - You sure that wasn't brown bread?
Field greens - whatever greens they pulled out of the field, though it may be their way of saying salad.
Bangers - Sausage
Black&White pudding - Blood sausage.
Irish Bowl bread - dunno.. mayhaps a soda bread.
Harp batter - beer batter with Harp.
Chocolate Guinness Cake - Is there anything good beer doesn't make better?

Old 04-30-2010, 03:07 PM   #3
Mr. Greenjeans

Bangers= sausage
black and white pudding is sort of like polish kishka, grains soaked in meat juices and then mashed.

Famous Harp batter, Harp is a beer. This is beer battered fried fish.

Field Greens = fancy salad, you can buy it at a higher end grocery store like Dominicks or Jewel.

You got me on Brown Break and Irish Bowl Bread.

I gots me some Irish too! Flanagan!!!
Old 04-30-2010, 03:28 PM   #4
Flour Child

Frank...i just double-checked the menu and it does say "traditional Irish Brown Break"...but maybe it's a typo?

Bigdaddy..."kishka"? Please don't confuse the issue . I wonder what kind of grain for the black&white pudding? Quinoa comes in white or brown. I love quinoa! Oh, and I love saying "Finnigan"!

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:43 PM   #5
Mr. Greenjeans

Kishka can never confuse. Kishka is love.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:08 PM   #6
Executive Chef

black and white puding: like a scrapple ... the black puding has meat juices (blood) and hte white doesn't. both are spiced nicely and are very traditional.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:58 PM   #7
Flour Child

So Black & White Pudding is not really a pudding consistency at all? Sounds more like sausage patties to me. Reminds me of how Yorkshire pudding is not pudding either.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:14 PM   #8
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Usually blood pudding is close to a stuffed sausage.. I have found them to have a bit of grainy texture to them.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:38 AM   #9
Flour Child

I have a difficult time with the word "blood".
Makes me squimish. Just me.
Maybe I'll have better luck with this: What is Dublin Coddle?

Oh, I think you were right. I think the printer of that menu was having a difficult time reading the original manuscript when typing it up. "Irish Brown Break" and "Traditional Irish Bowl Bread" had to have both been meant to be "Brown Bread". Either that or he was feelin' his Guinness.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:07 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

frank, big daddy, and robo pretty much have it.

brown bread is the traditional bread in ireland, not soda bread. it's sort of a whole wheat bread round loaf. some people add molasses to make it darker like pumpernickel.

field greens are just young salad greens. it can be literal, or out of a bag from a supermarket, lol. ireland is not the backwards, bog-hopping farmland like many americans picture from old movies, for the most part. hasn't been for a generation or two, now.

bangers are (usually) small sausages akin to american breakfast sausages. everyone's got their own recipe, from spicy to savoury to bland.

black pudding is indeed a sausage, about the thickness of sweet italian sausage or a fat bratwurst. it has meat and blood and some fillers and spices, and occasionally offal, making it a dark brown/blackish colour.

white pudding, another thicker sausage made of meat and spices, also has whole grains like oats or barley in it, making it a pale white or beige sausage.

i'm not sure about bowl bread, but i think it's a bread that's risen and baked in the same earthenware bowl. i'll have to ask some irish friends about it.

harp is the most famous irish lager beer, so it's used in beer batter.

and the irish love to use guinness in everything. they'd run their cars on it if they could, and suckle thier children on the same.

if you are part irish, do yourself a favour and have a true irish breakfast. irish bacon is a little meatier and less fatty and salty, closer to a piece of fatty cured pork loin.

roasted tomatoes, in the vernacular, are lovely. the top of a whole tomato is sliced off, a salty herb mix is packed on top, and it's roasted until cooked through and soft.

fried mushrooms are better described as butter sauteed sliced mushrooms, the accent being on the fresh irish butter. brilliant! (more irish)

and you usually get 2 small bangers, as well as a slice each of black and white pudding that's been griddled just before serving.

dublin coddle is a one pot meal that uses up leftover bangers and irish bacon. the meats are boiled, then veggies and potatoes put in, it's covered in water and boiled for a bit, then uncovered to let it thicken and everything's soft. it's great comfort food.

man, i need to head up to the bronx to macclean avenue for breakfast soon!!

hth.

Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None