Is anyone good at Nyonya cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arwen

Senior Cook
Is anyone good at Nyonya cooking?I'd really learn how to prepare these complicated recipes,but I think I need some help...
thanks a lot in advance..!!!

I had to looking at the sites smoothseas mentioned because I'd never heard of it. How funny. After looking, I realize I've eaten it, just never heard of it. Learn something new every day.

Well I'll be, learn something new everyday, maybe I will ask for Florence Tan's book for Christmas if it isn't too late, LOL.
I already have one request in for a couple of Thai cookbooks plus one for Indian food and another for Vegetarian recipes. I shouldn't push it, but heck you only live once LOL.

Hi Arwen,

I am Pearl. Nyonya cooking is our heritage food and I love cooking and eating them.

If you need any help with any Nyonya, Chinese, Malay or Indian recipes, let me know. Our Penang style of cooking is very different from other countries of the origin with the fusion of nyonya cooking. Not for nothing our Penang is very famous for its food.

To smoothseas, thank you for viewing my web site. I have many nyonya recipes and food photos which I did not have time to upload. These photos are taken when I cooked or teach at times.

Let me know any in particular, dry fried dishes, soups, sweet sour curries or dry curries, Arwen.

Nyonyapearl

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi dearest!!! thanks a lot!!!The first thing is to find all the ingredients.. Where might I might find all of them in Milan?have you got any address..?I thank you in advance!:)))

Some ingredients are what most cooks would use cooking Asian food. One or two like shrimp paste (belachan) might prove to be hard.

I will upload some photos of herbs and spices used in Nyonya cooking here if i can. Being new, it takes me some time to get around here.

Alternatively, you are welcome to stay with us in my house for a week or two and learn as many Asian dishes I know as you like.

You will see, most herbs and spices are from my garden or kampong (community). I will take you to our wet market where you see for yourselves all the various herbs and spices and maybe substitue with your country's too once you get the taste how nyonya cooking is cook by us.

I wonder where I am going to upload some photos for you, Arwen. Let me feel my way here, I am sure you will get to see and then say "ahh I have this or that. ok?

Cheers.

Welcome to DC, Nyonypearl. Why don't you join us and share more about your special cuisine. I, for one, would love to learn more.

Some ingredients are what most cooks would use cooking Asian food. One or two like shrimp paste (belachan) might prove to be hard.

I will upload some photos of herbs and spices used in Nyonya cooking here if i can. Being new, it takes me some time to get around here.

Alternatively, you are welcome to stay with us in my house for a week or two and learn as many Asian dishes I know as you like.

You will see, most herbs and spices are from my garden or kampong (community). I will take you to our wet market where you see for yourselves all the various herbs and spices and maybe substitue with your country's too once you get the taste how nyonya cooking is cook by us.

I wonder where I am going to upload some photos for you, Arwen. Let me feel my way here, I am sure you will get to see and then say "ahh I have this or that. ok?

Cheers.

Hi dearest!!!ithat's very kind of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I spent one month in Singapore in 1999 and I loved this place so much that I thought about moving there ....nowadays I am not in a good situation to travel because of recession.. I hope for a near future,nevertheless.... :heart::sorcerer:

Back
Top Bottom