"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 05-02-2008, 04:20 PM   #11
Head Chef

Andy, left you a note here.

Dinner, Wed. April 30th

Calzone or stromboli can be made wth pizza dough, frozen bread ldough or crescent rolls (if you wish) - whatever you like. Calzone is half moon/crescent-shaped. Stromboli is made is a long log or a few short logs. Calzone can contain tomato/marinara sauce, where stromboli has a tomato/marinara dipping sauce.

Stromboli ingreds can be layered, and the dough folded over a few times. Cut a few slashes about 2-3" long at about 2" intervals - or prick the dough w a fork. Brush w an egg wash & sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds.

Old 05-02-2008, 04:23 PM   #12
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by *amy* View Post
Calzone can contain tomato/marinara sauce, where stromboli has a tomato/marinara dipping sauce.
Interesting how the same thing can be so different in different locations. Here a calzone (usually) will not contain sauce, but will be served with marinara on the side for dipping.

Old 05-02-2008, 04:28 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Interesting how the same thing can be so different in different locations. Here a calzone (usually) will not contain sauce, but will be served with marinara on the side for dipping.
I guess it depends on where you go (restaurant etc.). For the most part, it's shaped like a log, rather than a half moon. You can make any changes you like. Since there's a lot of filling, leave about an inch around the edges. My understanding(?) is that it originated in Philadelphia. Wherever, it's all good. I like the looks of the Philly cheesesteak (sorta) stromboli. Lots of fun coming up with different fillings.

Gourmet Stromboli : Tasty Italian Meals : Authentic Philadelphia : Leonettis Stromboli
Old 05-02-2008, 04:29 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
gb, i think i know what you mean. it could be more of an italian bread dough, rather than pizza dough. ya know, as it rises more.

It is interesting in NY there is a distinct texture difference between Pizza Stromboli and Calzone. The Stromboli does seem more like Italian Bread and the Calzone usually risies to form an air pocket and teh top is thin and crisp. It is not quite a flolded over pizza more like a very large dumpling. The doug used is probably the same for all of them but the craft is in the assembly and cooking that makes them seem different

In Philly a calzone is just a pizza flolded in half... usually doughy and soggy. and stroboli is alos usually doughy and greasy. but the three are far less distinct in taste and texture. Philly for the most part dosent "get" pizza dough. A good pizzaria can manipulat the simplest ingredients into a great variety of textures.... my favorite is a good slice of Sicillian where the bottom is crisp and the doug is moist and airy
Old 05-02-2008, 04:30 PM   #15
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Calzone has tomato sauce as part of the filling, Stromboli does not have tomato sauce in the filling. Both can have meat and cheese in the filling.

At least that is how I know them.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:31 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

I have seen/eaten calzones that are half moon shaped and rectangular like a strudel, though not layered.

According to Wiki, the ONLY difference is the shape. Either can have the same ingredients/sauces.

So if I roll out a rectangular piece of dough and put fillings down the middle and fold both sides over on top of the filling and seal the edges. What did I make?

A stromzone, or a calboli.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:32 PM   #17
Chief Eating Officer

Andy would kill me if I showed him the definition I found on wikipedia (not that that is the best place to get info), but I found it quite interesting.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:33 PM   #18
Chief Eating Officer

HEY you cheated Andy!!!
Old 05-02-2008, 04:35 PM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
...A stromzone, or a calboli.

I think you're onto something!

You don't have to add meat. The spinach, provolone, mozzarella & roasted sweet red peppers were DEElish too. Oh yeah, I spread some honey dijon mustard down the center of the dough first.

Have fun with your logs. I think they would make tasty appies, sliced for individual servings/bites.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:40 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
HEY you cheated Andy!!!
Yeah! You said no wikis/dictionaries.

Tags
None