Is It a Stromboli or a Calzone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You gotta say a whole lot more than that to offend this chick! :cool:

I see. I don't plan to try.:)

I did not know you were originally NYC. I was transplanted here, but after watching the towers fall, I am a very proud New Yorker. Don't think I'll always live here, but, I love the city and what it is about.

Several weeks ago, I looked up the diff between stromboli and calzones (Googled it). What I found is that they're both meat and cheese enclosed in dough, but a calzone is serving size and stromboli gets sliced and feeds multiple people.

I did not know that stromboli is supposed to be rolled like a jelly roll. I've never done that, so is it still called stromboli?

Several weeks ago, I looked up the diff between stromboli and calzones (Googled it). What I found is that they're both meat and cheese enclosed in dough, but a calzone is serving size and stromboli gets sliced and feeds multiple people.

I did not know that stromboli is supposed to be rolled like a jelly roll. I've never done that, so is it still called stromboli?

That's just one of the definitions. Depending on which one you read, the rules are different. Bottom line, when you walk into a restaurant to order something, go by the name on the menu.

That's just one of the definitions. Depending on which one you read, the rules are different. Bottom line, when you walk into a restaurant to order something, go by the name on the menu.

#5? With cheese?
:LOL:

serving size is not one of the criteria in my neck of the woods.

there are usually 2 sizes of calzones available in most pizza joints: a personal sized single serving, and a bigg'un that is sliced and can serve 3 or 4 people (or 1 gavone :pig:).
the single serving sized calzones are usually deep fried, while the larger ones are baked, probably because you'd need a gigantic deep fryer to fit them.

strombolis are usually made fairly large and sold as a whole to serve several people, or sliced into 3 or 4 sections and sold as individual portions.

Thanks for your perspective.

I have never had a calzone with ricotta in it. Also, some of calzones pizzarias sell around here are rectangular.
In NY they always have ricotta in them. Never any tomato suce unless it's on the outside.

No, ricotta is not a must for calzones. At Christmas, especially on christmas eve, calzones are made with fish, no cheese. But, if you order one from a pizzeria, you'll always get ricotta in it. The stromboli could be either way, depending on how large your dough rectangle is. There is usually at least one swirl, and sometimes two.

Interesting. Here in NY I've never seen a calzone without ricotta in it. Usually it's ricotta and some sort of ham or priscutto meat. On the other hand my grandmother used to make zeppole at Christmas that were not the sweet powdered sugar type. They were yeast balls much softer than pizza dough, that she filled with baccala or anchovies (sometimes dry sausage or mozerella) and deep fried.

BTW I know this topic is old, but I just ran across it while trying to help someone at another recipe site I frequent. She is looking for a dessert stromboli. She says there is a chain called Pizza Inn which we don't have here in NY. They make a stromboli filled with brown sugar, cinnamon and pecans.

Last edited:
I agree with suziquzie.

I have seen recipes in cookbooks and magazines though that say a calzone dough is not the same as pizza dough. The Stromboli's that I have had seem to have a much different dough than pizzas too. I am not really sure how though.

I have been making all three and teaching them for (22) years, and the dough is the same. Some people just LOVE to make life more complicated. :rolleyes:;)

I make three different doughs..... the good ole' basic Pizza and Calzone dough, the whole wheat deep dish dough, and the stuffed pizza dough, which is much more light and airy.

In NY they always have ricotta in them. Never any tomato suce unless it's on the outside.

not always for either of those...... absolute terms don't do to well when it comes to pizza. it's about the place, and the preference of the eater..... ;)

I have been making all three and teaching them for (22) years, and the dough is the same. Some people just LOVE to make life more complicated. :rolleyes:;)
1st, just because you have made it a certain way and taught it a certain way for 22 years does not mean that you are necessarily right.

2nd, why is saying that calzone and strombolli dough are different doughs making life more complicated??? I do not see anything complicated about it.

How boring would it be if all doughs were the same?

I have first hand experience that says that the calzones and strombollies I have had have been completely different so I do not know how you can tell me that what I have had is the same dough when you were not there. Yours may be, but that does not mean that is how it is done everywhere else.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom