Is It a Stromboli or a Calzone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
having eat many a strombolis at "stuff yer face" (yep, same place) a stromboli is a rolled up "anything you want it in" pizza-type-sub.

where a calzone is a pocket of usually ricotta and something or other.

Possibly, the difference is that blissful said "filled to order". Maybe that means that they are filled with pizza toppings instead of more traditional calzone fillings. Maybe?
The calzones I know can be filled with anything. Any pizza toppings the shop has can be made into a calzone.

The question was not if they were different but how they are different. The differences appear to be blurred by geographic differences and marketing considerations, among othre things.

I understand regional food differences. Some places outside NYC make things they call bagels.:)

I'm WAAAAAYYYY off topic here but I feel I must speak!
As both a native New Yorker and a presently midwestern counterfeit bagel baker, I'm really stuck in the middle!!!! :ohmy:

The newspaper in Minneapolis did an article on how the local bagel shops here measure up to "the real deal". They had actual New York bagel bakers flown in and everything! While I'm not saying they are the same, our store won the contest, the bakers actually said they would take them home and sell them in thier shops... quite a compliment!

Quite a compliment, SQ. Authentic (almost) bagels in MN! I think that deserves a Food Network show.

Quite a compliment, SQ. Authentic (almost) bagels in MN! I think that deserves a Food Network show.

Yeah, you could have AB riding his bike from NY to MN, sampling bagels along the way. Living on nothing but bagels.
Where I live bagels are gotten in the frozen food section :eek: One aisle over from the calzones.

You know, I must say, I have never seen frozen strombolis where I shop. All kinds of calzones, pizza pockets (there's a new twist), but no frozen strombolis.
Hmmmm....

Pizza pockets!? What are they like?

They can best be described as an individual serving, rectangular calzone. Seriously.
You've probably seen them advertised on TV. At least one of those frozen food/microwave companies make them.

I used to live on the Lean Pockets when I had a real job.....
ick. I can't eat those anymore.

They can best be described as an individual serving, rectangular calzone. Seriously.
You've probably seen them advertised on TV. At least one of those frozen food/microwave companies make them.

Do you mean Hot Pockets brand stuff?

I don't understand that statement at all. Does one of the two have a hole in the middle?

while both penne and spaghetti are pasta, they are different shaped. Calzone and stromboli are both stuffed doughs, yet shaped and filled differently.

Back
Top Bottom