Is It a Stromboli or a Calzone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
Is it a stromboli or a calzone? How do you know?

Tell me if you can, what is the difference between the two. No dictionary or internet definitions, please. I would like your opinions.

Did I get your gears turning? :)

To me a Stromboli is rolled up like a jelly-roll, so there is bread layers inside.
Calzone is just a round pizza folded in half so all the filling is inside but no bread.

IMHO.....

Hoe do I know? I guess I don't for sure!!

squzie's right.

both start with pizza dough.

a calzone is pizza dough rolled out into a circle, and the fillings are placed on half of it. it's folded over and the edges crimped, forming a half moon shape. then it's either fried or baked.

a stromboli is pizza dough rolled out into a long rectangle(ish) shape, fillings placed along it's length, then it's rolled and the seam crimped, so that the fillings are enclosed. if you sliced it, it would resemble a cinnamon roll, except with the different fillings. usually they're baked, but i guess you could fry smaller ones.

I love bein' right.
I think I'm gonna have DH come over here and look at this thread.... :)

I agree with suziquzie.

I have seen recipes in cookbooks and magazines though that say a calzone dough is not the same as pizza dough. The Stromboli's that I have had seem to have a much different dough than pizzas too. I am not really sure how though.

gb, i think i know what you mean. it could be more of an italian bread dough, rather than pizza dough. ya know, as it rises more.

I agree too - I used to have the best stromboli recipe till my friend borrowed my book...10 years ago :(
From what I remember, it was different than a pizza dough and less elastic.

I'll have to ask my sister on the stromboli. She used to make an awesome one... cheese, pepperoni, ham. I used to take one ice fishing back in the day. I remember the dough being very thin and the ingredients shining through, which is why I prefer a thin dough pizza crust.. She may have boughten a frozen crust of some sorts and rolled it thin.

I'll be back.

Andy, left you a note here.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/showpost.php?p=596730&postcount=5

Calzone or stromboli can be made wth pizza dough, frozen bread ldough or crescent rolls (if you wish) - whatever you like. Calzone is half moon/crescent-shaped. Stromboli is made is a long log or a few short logs. Calzone can contain tomato/marinara sauce, where stromboli has a tomato/marinara dipping sauce.

Stromboli ingreds can be layered, and the dough folded over a few times. Cut a few slashes about 2-3" long at about 2" intervals - or prick the dough w a fork. Brush w an egg wash & sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds.

Last edited:
Calzone can contain tomato/marinara sauce, where stromboli has a tomato/marinara dipping sauce.
Interesting how the same thing can be so different in different locations. Here a calzone (usually) will not contain sauce, but will be served with marinara on the side for dipping.

Interesting how the same thing can be so different in different locations. Here a calzone (usually) will not contain sauce, but will be served with marinara on the side for dipping.

I guess it depends on where you go (restaurant etc.). For the most part, it's shaped like a log, rather than a half moon. You can make any changes you like. Since there's a lot of filling, leave about an inch around the edges. My understanding(?) is that it originated in Philadelphia. Wherever, it's all good. ;) I like the looks of the Philly cheesesteak (sorta) stromboli. Lots of fun coming up with different fillings.

Gourmet Stromboli : Tasty Italian Meals : Authentic Philadelphia : Leonettis Stromboli

Last edited:
gb, i think i know what you mean. it could be more of an italian bread dough, rather than pizza dough. ya know, as it rises more.

It is interesting in NY there is a distinct texture difference between Pizza Stromboli and Calzone. The Stromboli does seem more like Italian Bread and the Calzone usually risies to form an air pocket and teh top is thin and crisp. It is not quite a flolded over pizza more like a very large dumpling. The doug used is probably the same for all of them but the craft is in the assembly and cooking that makes them seem different

In Philly a calzone is just a pizza flolded in half... usually doughy and soggy. and stroboli is alos usually doughy and greasy. but the three are far less distinct in taste and texture. Philly for the most part dosent "get" pizza dough. A good pizzaria can manipulat the simplest ingredients into a great variety of textures.... my favorite is a good slice of Sicillian where the bottom is crisp and the doug is moist and airy;)

Calzone has tomato sauce as part of the filling, Stromboli does not have tomato sauce in the filling. Both can have meat and cheese in the filling.

At least that is how I know them.

Last edited:
I have seen/eaten calzones that are half moon shaped and rectangular like a strudel, though not layered.

According to Wiki, the ONLY difference is the shape. Either can have the same ingredients/sauces.

So if I roll out a rectangular piece of dough and put fillings down the middle and fold both sides over on top of the filling and seal the edges. What did I make?

A stromzone, or a calboli.

Andy would kill me if I showed him the definition I found on wikipedia (not that that is the best place to get info), but I found it quite interesting.

...A stromzone, or a calboli.

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

I think you're onto something!

You don't have to add meat. The spinach, provolone, mozzarella & roasted sweet red peppers were DEElish too. Oh yeah, I spread some honey dijon mustard down the center of the dough first. :chef:

Have fun with your logs. I think they would make tasty appies, sliced for individual servings/bites.:chef:;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom