"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 07-21-2007, 09:42 AM   #11
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
I have to agree... my perspective is tainted because I went from Mexico to Boston with only a brief stop in middle america (West Virginia) but so many people see Pad Thai as comfort food, or Pho as a good way to kick off a weekend after partying too much. For me Dim Sum is a wonderful way to get together friends and family. As you learn about these things they become part of your life, you dont become mexican or asian but your own soul is enritched. Also Unlike film and music, food has no language element, no translation is necesary.

But I would love to see the Mexican style of eating a bit more here, for example burritos are tiny, a good tortilla with a dab of filling. You normally eat 3 or so in a sitting. These blimps... they just dont make sense to me. I rather a wrap (say turkey and swiss) than a burrito because it seems more like a sandwich as oposed to a filling to compliment a freshly made tortilla. Likewise Im used to places where you can sit, order 2 or 3 tacos, get something else and just eat as you go along. I feel that dining here can be too rigid... apetizer, entree, desert. Coffee. Check please. I would rather see more stuff like single tacos and single burritos and half orders of things.

Old 07-21-2007, 12:19 PM   #12
Senior Cook

The “Mexican” food that we cook and eat here is Tex-Mex; but it’s what we have grown up eating and so it’s what we like. But then isn’t that what America is all about; the blending of cultures?

We have a very large Hispanic population here in the South Eastern part of Texas and our two cultures have blended; I don’t see that as something bad.

"What we do, more than anything we say, reveals what we truly value the most." - An Unknown Soldier
BettyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 12:47 PM   #13
Senior Cook

No, it is not bad at all! Tex-Mex is good!
The only bad thing is - at least it makes me angry - to have Tex-Mex food in a "Mexican" restaurant and call it authentic Mexican food!
Same with other cuisines. It is not right!
I am proud of my culinary heritage and do not like to see authentic Hu recipes twisted around and still called "authentic"
So, I think other people feel (or should) the same way about their culinary heritage.
Tex-Mex IS good, but it's NOT Mexican.

By the way, what would be considered authentic American food?
People in EU asked me that and I didn't have an answer.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:51 PM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitmondol

Some things that come to my mind would be BBQ and soul food, New England boiled dinner, Hamburgers, (not to mention fast food junk ).
Old 07-21-2007, 12:52 PM   #15
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
The only bad thing is - at least it makes me angry - to have Tex-Mex food in a "Mexican" restaurant and call it authentic Mexican food!
I am proud of my culinary heritage and do not like to see authentic Hu recipes twisted around and still called "authentic"
So, I think other people feel (or should) the same way about their culinary heritage.
EXACTLY!!! Very well said!
Old 07-21-2007, 01:24 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Great article but I don't get bothered by any of this. No country can exactly replicate another countries cusine. There is always a bit of fusion involved based on the local countries access to ingredients and tastes. That's just the way it is across the board. Heck, FF taste different here they they do in Belgium. I've never had Fish & chips here with the fish skin still intact. But in England they leave the skin on, etc. etc. Incidently, I'd rather have a burrito then fried pigs feet with egg. Just me tho.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:37 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:

We've had conversations before about authentic American food and it seems to me after you finish talking about Thanksgiving dinner it breaks down into authentic regional cuisines.

I think these tight lines we're trying to draw around what is Mexican and what isn't make more sense if you didn't grow up in a part of the US that used to be part of Mexico. There are a lot of Mexican cooks who would be amused to hear that their food has been deemed unauthentic in Boston.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 02:50 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Yes I can see what you mean. My grandfather on my mother’s side was from France but he was half French and half German. My grandmother on my mother’s side was Creole / a mixture of French, Spanish and African. My father was German on both sides.

My Grandmother being the cook in the family made traditional Creole food and my mother learning to cook from her mother made traditional Creole food and of course learning to cook from my mother I also cook traditional Creole food but then we moved to Texas and I’ve learned to cook Tex-Mex, I guess you would call it Tex-German and Tex-Polish.

We also have a large German and Polish population here in Texas. They make some of the best sausage that you have ever put in your mouth. I guess a person from Germany or Poland would be put out by what we call German and Polish food.

"What we do, more than anything we say, reveals what we truly value the most." - An Unknown Soldier
BettyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 03:50 PM   #19
Head Chef

Betty, your last post highlights another difference in peoples perspective. If your idea of what defines authentic food comes from home kitchens of friends and family who are first and second generation immigrants, you aren't likely to have the same picture as someones whose ideas were formed primarily by authentic restaurant cuisine or a formal culinary education. My favorite Mexican restaurants tend to be the ones where I might be the only gringo in the building.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 03:57 PM   #20
Head Chef

My feeling about this is get with reality folks

I am an old person and have seen my most sacred of drinks, the martini, turned into everything it is not. Without a whimper or whine from the general populace.

I accepted it.

I have also seen food that never, ever would be served in China in Chinese restaurants (yep, there was a time I could translate the menus in Chinese restaurants in in NY and SF Chinatowns and order from them). Most Americans have no idea what authentic Chinese food is.

Heck have a second cousin once removed who went to China and compained they could not make a decent pepper steak. Just an example.

If a restaurant wishes to call their food authentic anything, well, it seems to me one can try it and decide if they like it or not. And then go back, or not, or try to find a lawyer who will press a suit for some law I know nothing about.

"Your honor, that place says they serve true Oaxacan cuisine and no self respecting Oazacan would ever eat that slop."

Good luck pressing that case.

Look, once a region's or county's cuisine is up for interpretation it will be, well, interpreted.

Sorry. But that is the way cooks are.

I do feel a bit peckish at the moment, sorry.

Tags
None