"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 07-21-2007, 04:09 PM   #21
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker
Betty, your last post highlights another difference in peoples perspective. If your idea of what defines authentic food comes from home kitchens of friends and family who are first and second generation immigrants, you aren't likely to have the same picture as someones whose ideas were formed primarily by authentic restaurant cuisine or a formal culinary education. My favorite Mexican restaurants tend to be the ones where I might be the only gringo in the building.

Yes, you are correct. There is nothing more Texan than a Chicken Fried Steak; but this dish was born of the German fritter.

So I guess you would have to answer the question of what is authentic Ethnic food, the food that is cooked and eaten on a daily basis by the people who live in said country or the food that is prepared in the ethnic restaurant.

I was raised in a French speaking Creole community and when I go into a Cajun restaurant I don’t really see much of anything that I recognize as what I grew up eating. The names are the same but the food is not.

"What we do, more than anything we say, reveals what we truly value the most." - An Unknown Soldier
BettyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 04:29 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410
the average eater is not interested in authentic cuisine, but in quick and easy and what's familiar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
I only think the second half of that statement is correct. I further think that if authentic cuisine was familiar to them then they would be just as interested as they are in non-authentic cuisine (with some exceptions). The majority of people only eat what they eat because it is available and easy to access. If authentic places popped up and were easy to get to them more people would be into them.
The word CHEAP also needs to be added into that statement to make it correct. That's the reason why places like Olive Garden are so **** popular. It sure as **** isn't because it's good or authentic.

Old 07-21-2007, 04:43 PM   #23
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
...places like Olive Garden are so **** popular. It sure as **** isn't because it's good or authentic.

Golly gee, ironchef, what about Olive Garden's Culinary Institute of Tuscany??
Old 07-21-2007, 05:15 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Golly gee, ironchef, what about Olive Garden's Culinary Institute of Tuscany??
You know, I would be interested in going there just to see what it is they do at that place. One of my friends told me a while ago that Olive Garden was now making risotto on their menu. So I checked it out (it's a shrimp and asparagus risotto) and sure enough, they bastardized it by putting in parmesan cheese. If that's the sort of things they are "learning" at their Culinary Institute of Tuscany, they may as well just close up shop. They can just stay home and learn how to make risotto the wrong way.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:39 PM   #25
Senior Cook

[quote.

So I guess you would have to answer the question of what is authentic Ethnic food, the food that is cooked and eaten on a daily basis by the people who live in said country or the food that is prepared in the ethnic restaurant.

Authentic ethnic? What is cooked on a daily bases in the country of origin of a dish.
Whatever is interpreted (or riuned in most cases) is NOT the above.
Still could be good food as I said earlier, but should be called something else.

The names are the same but the food is not.

And that is my problem.

I was once offered a "Chicken paprikas" made with ketchup for cryin' out loud!!

Give them another name and don't call them aithentic and I will be fine. Even enjoy those dishes.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:42 PM   #26
Senior Cook

This is interesting read also:

A crash course in Mexico's varied cuisine - CNN.com
Old 07-23-2007, 02:09 PM   #27
Executive Chef

About a month ago, I purchased a copy of Rick Bayless's Mexican Kitchen. I've been reading, re-reading, and making some of the recipes as I can. I love them!

We have a growing Hispanic community here in east Tulsa as well. There are a few Mexican grocery stores, and even a Tortilleria just a few miles from here. I've spent time in them, browsing, buying a few things, etc.

I can fully understand the comment about "the only gringo in the house".
Old 07-23-2007, 03:33 PM   #28
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
That's why I hate going into the "authentic" Mexican restaurants in my area. The service is outrageously slow because everyone who works in the kitchen has to come out and see the gringo that's speaking Spanish. I have the same reaction when I go into Pilipino restaurants and grocery stores and start speaking tagalog. What, they think ALL Americans brains are so small, they can only hold one language?
Old 07-23-2007, 03:44 PM   #29
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOK
We have a growing Hispanic community here in east Tulsa as well. There are a few Mexican grocery stores, and even a Tortilleria just a few miles from here. I've spent time in them, browsing, buying a few things, etc.
I have found developing a relationship with the neighborhood Mexican grocery rewarding and worth while. It has a great dairy case, a fair selection of good Mexican produce, and a good meat counter. The only person working in the store who speaks English is the young girl behind the counter but if they aren't busy she will translate with the butcher, owner, or a customer for me. I've rarely seen another customer speak English; never as their primary language.

Almost all the patrons of this little mercado also occasionally shop at one large, locally owned supermarket. It carries all things Anglo but also goes out of the way to cater to the Hispanic community. Learning my way around that store was another big help. I bet there is a supermarket filling the same niche in Tulsa.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 04:26 PM   #30
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine
That's why I hate going into the "authentic" Mexican restaurants in my area. The service is outrageously slow because everyone who works in the kitchen has to come out and see the gringo that's speaking Spanish. I have the same reaction when I go into Pilipino restaurants and grocery stores and start speaking tagalog. What, they think ALL Americans brains are so small, they can only hold one language?
I doubt if speaking Spanish attracts much attention. Maybe it is what you say or how you say it, instead of the language you say it in.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None